House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Public Spending Will Be Cut After The General Election, Says George Osborne

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ge-Osborne.html

Mr Osborne's intervention marks a bold attempt to shift the terms of political debate and undercut Gordon Brown's attempt to cast the coming election as a choice between Labour investment and Tory cuts.

Mr Brown's approach of accusing the Tories of planning to cut public spending by a tenth - and branding Tory leader David Cameron "Mr 10 per cent" as a result - invited "ridicule", said Mr Osborne.

He said the real dividing line in British politics was now between honesty and dishonesty about what the future held.

The shadow chancellor's comments came as Mr Brown's close ally Ed Balls used an article in The Guardian to argue that the coming election would present voters with a dividing line between "Labour investment versus Tory cuts".

Labour has seized shadow health secretary Andrew Lansley's comments last week, suggesting that Tories would cut departmental spending by 10 per cent in all areas apart from health, international development and schools, to claim that a Conservative victory in the election expected next year would mean tens of thousands of frontline job losses in public services.

But writing in The Times, Mr Osborne said: "The real dividing line is not 'cuts versus investment', but honesty versus dishonesty.

"We should have the confidence to tell the public the truth that Britain faces a debt crisis; that existing plans show that real spending will have to be cut, whoever is elected; and that the bills of rising unemployment and the huge interest costs of a soaring national debt mean that many government departments will face budget cuts.

"These are statements of fact and to deny them invites ridicule."

Mr Osborne said the Prime Minister's unwillingness to confront the reality of future spending cuts was "intellectually fatal for the Labour movement".

He added: "The big discussion in British politics for the foreseeable future will be how to tackle the debt crisis and deliver quality public services when spending is tight and Gordon Brown has taken his party to the sidelines of that discussion.

"Believe me, I have seen what happens when political parties refuse to face the facts of the modern world. It condemns them to irrelevancy for a generation."

Mr Osborne is clearly taking a risk in speaking openly about the prospect for cuts under a Conservative government at this stage in the election cycle.

But he said he believed the electorate would credit the Tories for being honest about the tough spending decisions which lie ahead.

"Gordon Brown's claim that real spending will rise under Labour is akin to his claim that the 10p tax rise didn't hit the poor and that Alistair Darling is his first choice as Chancellor - it is just not true. It explains why the British people don't listen to him any more," said Mr Osborne.

"Perhaps the most important lesson from around the world is that if you talk honestly to the public about the spending decisions that need to be taken, they will respect you and support you. It is time for the Conservatives to have that conversation with the British people."

We all know the present spending is unsustainable, unless of course you can print your own money and not debase your currency.

If printing money really works the Tories are screwed and we'll have Brown for life.

Both parties will cut public spending.

One will do it voluntarily and the other one assuming it continues on its present course will have the imf do it for them. History repeating?

One will do it voluntarily and the other one assuming it continues on its present course will have the imf do it for them. History repeating?

If only we had someone who had studied history at PHD level as PM.

The irony of life.

Politician speaks truth for once shocker!

Am I right in thinking that pretty much the only reason why we're able to borrow what we are at the moment is because the markets expect Zanu Labour to be kicked out within a year?

Am I right in thinking that pretty much the only reason why we're able to borrow what we are at the moment is because the markets expect Zanu Labour to be kicked out within a year?

No

It'd be more plausible if he went about cutting spending before the general election.

Hands up who else thinks this is what that odius little man Howard once euphamistically termed a "non core promise".

'I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!' the Queen said. 'Twopence a week, and jam every other day.'

Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said, 'I don't want you to hire ME - and I don't care for jam.'

'It's very good jam,' said the Queen.

'Well, I don't want any TO-DAY, at any rate.'

'You couldn't have it if you DID want it,' the Queen said. 'The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day.'

'It MUST come sometimes to "jam to-day,"' Alice objected.

'No, it can't,' said the Queen. 'It's jam every OTHER day: to-day isn't any OTHER day, you know.'

'I don't understand you,' said Alice. 'It's dreadfully confusing!'

Spending needs to be cut from the current 52% of GDP down to around 35% to be competive and sustainable in the long term. And with GDP going down itself by 4% or so that mean cutting spending by about 35%!

Why anyone is bickering about the odd 10% drop is beyond me.