House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soul_Survivor

Short Petrol Pumps - Argh!

Strange.....................

Not a blonde hair in sight.

Of course, parking with the filler on the same side as the pump would be too tricky: first of all one has to know which side it's on.

Strange.....................

Not a blonde hair in sight.

Of course, parking with the filler on the same side as the pump would be too tricky: first of all one has to know which side it's on.

I know its not true in the poor girls clip, but I often park on the 'wrong' side of the pump, as it usually has fewer cars so I get out quicker!

The new pumps are very much an art form though, I have mastered exactly where to park depending on the garage. Such an exciting life I lead!! :P

Many years ago, a work colleague, lovely lass, used to work evenings and weekend on the pumps in her husband to be's Dad's garage.

One evening a charming elderly lady came in driving a Morris Minor; filled up (By the attendants in those days) and asked them to check the sump etc - as they did before supermarkets ruined the concept of service.

Needed a pint of oil: so this lovely white-haired old lady took the oil and went back to her car: she was there for a long time: and eventually my colleague noticed a growing pool of glistening liquid under the car!

The customer had been endeavoring to put the oil in the sump through the dipstick hole!

:lol:

Petrol pumps do indeed have many points of contention. Although i understand Tesco's generally gets the dregs of the oil refinerys produce and most of theyre tanks are rusting from the inside out, i never go anywhere else to fill up because they have those card keypads on the pumps. Nothing more irritating than some chubby in front of you waddling into the petrol store sticking her chubby fingers in her fake handbag feeling around for the exact change, only to then raid the stores choccy supplies for the next 10 minutes.

There was also and Asda in Nottingham where payment was by drive-through, another acceptable idea.

Petrol 'shops' should be outlawed. And fat people too.

would be good to have it like in the US where the pump has a little metal flap in the handle that you flick so its hold the pump open, and you dont have to stand there holding it...just leave it in your car til it clicks off when full.

but maybe i'm just lazy...

would be good to have it like in the US where the pump has a little metal flap in the handle that you flick so its hold the pump open, and you dont have to stand there holding it...just leave it in your car til it clicks off when full.

Convenient, yes. But dangerous, which is the reason these latches are banned in the UK and Europe.

The problem with letting the petrol pump while you sit in the car, is that you can build up a static charge when you get in and out - when you touch the nozzle, the static discharges with a spark. Static electricity and self-filling nozzles is a frequent cause of fires in the US. There are loads of videos of this happening -

- just one of a number on Youtube.

If someone has to hold the trigger continuously, then a dangerous charge can't build up.

Duck tape is your friend.

Petrol pump designers have missed a golden opportunity. For the sake of a slightly longer hose, or a solid swivel above head height with flexible hose attached, you could be able to pull up at a pump any side you like and still fill up.

How many times have you been to a garage and seen queues because they all have the filler cap on the same side.... and there's not enough room to come in from the other direction?

When I was a nipper my dad had a Humber Hawk. The petrol filler cap was cleverly disguised as the rear reflector on the offside rear wing.

British petrol pump attendants were wise to this, but on our holidays in France the French petrol station attendant was always flummoxed.

Oh, the hours of fun we had watching Johnny foreigner scratch his head.

Makes me wonder that if retards have such trouble carrying out such a simple task, then should they actually be allowed behind the wheel of a car at all?

I'm totaly with the poster about the card pay pumps too.

If Estonia can have pay at pump petrol stations that have no shop or attendant, why can't we? Last word in efficiency.

Oh yeah, as long as your country isn't too crime ridden...