House Price Crash Forum
ScaredEitherWay

High House Prices & Low Pay Figures

The 2009 GMB Congress at Blackpool today was told that there are 222,100 workers in the North East region who receive child and working tax credits (as at April 2009). These workers are 19.8% of those of working age in employment who live in the region. They received an average payment of £3,224 per annum (see note 1 below).This puts the North East region at the top of the UK league for the percentage of workers who receive child and working tax credit.

Second in this UK league is Wales where 250,300 (19.6%) workers receive child and working tax credits. Third is Northern Ireland with 147,500 (19.4%) and fourth is the North West region with 583,600 (19.2%). The figures for each region in the UK are shown in the table below.

For the UK as a whole there are 4,713,400 workers who receive child and working tax credits. This is 16.8% of all those of working age and in employment and the average payment was £3,201 per annum and the total paid out was £14,585m.

These figures are from a GMB analysis of official figures in a report that was published at the GMB Congress which begins today 14th June at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool. See notes below for sources. The data for each local authority district and parliamentary constituency area in the UK is set out at the foot of the national release on this issue on the GMB website http://www.gmb.org.uk/

http://www.gmb.org.uk/Templates/PressItems.asp?NodeID=98675

These benefits are a two-edged sword:

- the Govt is topping up low pay and high house prices

- a lot of mortgage lenders were allowing these tax credits to be counted as income when applying for a mortgage

Must have caused quite a bit of house increases imho with so many able to benefit from this.

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

wow. mega

what % of those are included for mortgages?

16% is also the amount of votes Labour got in the Euro elections.In the NE almost everyone is supported in some way from tax payers,,benefits,public sector employment and tax credits.

Without the welfare state the NE would be almost 3rd world.Thats if it was dismantled quickly of course.If there had never been a welfare state it would of been one of the richest areas of the world.The whole £160 billion cost is at present being borrowed.Frightening really.

http://www.gmb.org.uk/Templates/PressItems.asp?NodeID=98675

These benefits are a two-edged sword:

- the Govt is topping up low pay and high house prices

- a lot of mortgage lenders were allowing these tax credits to be counted as income when applying for a mortgage

Must have caused quite a bit of house increases imho with so many able to benefit from this.

I would have thought it should be higher than this you get tax credit if your household income is below I think 60k. There's either an awful lot of the working population without kids or most people are earning 60k+. Most folk have kids mid in their mid 20s so veryone must be earning a fortune.

I should add that I am a client of the state and they give back approx £500 of the money previously stolen from me over a year. I thought we were doing alright though we are clearly paupers.

You see quite a lot on MSE passing through asking how much of a mortgage they can raise based solely on their benefits. The list can be staggering... e.g. "... I get ... Income Support, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Benefit, Disability Living Allowance ... for me and my X kids ...." their income from that lot can equate to £20-30k earned equivalent.

Benefits are an extravagance that the government is going to have to cut very severely very soon.

Living on benefits will not be an alternative life choice soon they will be at subsistence levels. The Government is already sneakily cutting benefits by not raising some of the allowances for savings, earnings, etc.

thats child and working

you only get child after about 13k I think

Not true , example .......

married couple 2 kids , husband works but earns a poor wage of 13,000 wife doesn't work

no other benefits apart from child benefit .........

They would receive nearly £5,000 a year in child tax credit and almost £2,000 in working tax credits .

Not true , example .......

married couple 2 kids , husband works but earns a poor wage of 13,000 wife doesn't work

no other benefits apart from child benefit .........

They would receive nearly £5,000 a year in child tax credit and almost £2,000 in working tax credits .

So £20k is the poverty line which the govt must keep us above. If you get paid less, and receive no benefits, you are below the poverty line.

So £20k is the poverty line which the govt must keep us above. If you get paid less, and receive no benefits, you are below the poverty line.

Using same example as before EXCEPT husband earns £20,000 .........

So now NO working tax credit and a reduced child tax credit of approx £4,000

How do you find out what you are entilted too? No where near the 20k poverty limit here and it's employment within the NHS!

type "entitled to" into bing.com

(because it's not google!)

Hard working families.

it's hard work filling all those forms.

there is certainly a tremendous amount of 'topping up' of salaries going on with any combination of gordon's means tested benefits. Some of them not so new.

But then i'd hazard a guess that a great deal of this easy money flows straight out of the family coffers into just maintaining a standard of living.....easy come easy go.

ofcourse some of it is being saved [then invested ?], infact i'd love to see an up to date survey of what brits are earning outside of PAYE jobs. i think the internet has opened up as many possibilities for adding thousands to household income in the form of trading or ebay selling or running a small online business etc.

PAYE income plus benefit topups are only part of the story.....

The 2009 GMB Congress at Blackpool today was told that there are 222,100 workers in the North East region who receive child and working tax credits (as at April 2009). These workers are 19.8% of those of working age in employment who live in the region. They received an average payment of £3,224 per annum (see note 1 below).This puts the North East region at the top of the UK league for the percentage of workers who receive child and working tax credit.

As WTC are paid to couples on a salary up to about 60K, I hardly see this as an indicator of low pay!

tim

As WTC are paid to couples on a salary up to about 60K, I hardly see this as an indicator of low pay!

tim

I agree, yet a single person on £13,000 might not qualify for it. The cut off point is a bit of a grey area but it's somewhere round about minimum wage for most.

And remember, single doesn't mean "young, foot loose and fancy free".

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

You see quite a lot on MSE passing through asking how much of a mortgage they can raise based solely on their benefits. The list can be staggering... e.g. "... I get ... Income Support, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Benefit, Disability Living Allowance ... for me and my X kids ...." their income from that lot can equate to £20-30k earned equivalent.

Are you a Daily Mail plant? You can't be "solely on benefits" if you have "Working Tax Credit", clue's in the name.