House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurt Barlow

New Motor

In the next 6 months I am going to be in the market for a new motor as I will be doing 30-40K business miles a year although I am going to try and use rail wherever possible.

I have a budget of £18,000 - £20,000 and am thinking alone the lines of new / nearly new - diesel hatch (Mondeo sized). Also wondering about the benefits of 6 speed gearboxes for fuel economy.

Any advice. I hate w4nk mags like what car and top gear.

KB

Never had a 6 speed car (so apologies I am not answering the question) however we bought a Vectra estate last year and (if its on board thing is right) we get 55mpg+ (2.0 diesel - its the Fiat engine one) 5 speed box.

I don't like cars much (as you can gather from the choice of a bankrupt GM model :)) but this one is highly economical so may be worth looking at other cars with similar engine (I think its the same one as the Fiat JTD also in the Alfa, Lancia and others)

Bikes are my thing but this car is nice every time we fill up ;)

You coul;d spend half that amount and still have a brilliant car... spend the £10,000 you save on hifi upgrades.

Cheers

I currently have an 06 plate 1.8l petrol avensis which I might stick with. I can get 42mpg on petrol out of that at moderate motorway speeds - 70-75.

Alternatively the 2.2D avensis looks good.

TBH not too bothered about the p4nis extension attributes of a motor. Want something reliable, comfortable, economical and reasonable size.

Guest redwine
Cheers

I currently have an 06 plate 1.8l petrol avensis which I might stick with. I can get 42mpg on petrol out of that at moderate motorway speeds - 70-75.

Alternatively the 2.2D avensis looks good.

TBH not too bothered about the p4nis extension attributes of a motor. Want something reliable, comfortable, economical and reasonable size.

if your going to drive alot swich to a 2 litre turbo diesel common rail DID i have a mitsubishi colt it uses nothing in diesel

but this applies for most diesel cars watch out for tyre wear as they do tend to be heavier than petrol cars

Chevrolet Epicas are cheap and big and diesel and 6-speed if you dont place driving pleasure high.

And dont be fooled by the Chevrolet name, theyre Korean, and as such will go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on...

Resale wont be much though.

Chevrolet Epicas are cheap and big and diesel and 6-speed if you dont place driving pleasure high.

And dont be fooled by the Chevrolet name, theyre Korean, and as such will go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on...

Resale wont be much though.

I am starting to think Avensis 2.0D

Reasonable price

Ultra reliable

Built in Britain (as I am staying in Britainisthan I might aswell support our lads in Derby)

55mpg combined

if your going to drive alot swich to a 2 litre turbo diesel common rail DID i have a mitsubishi colt it uses nothing in diesel

but this applies for most diesel cars watch out for tyre wear as they do tend to be heavier than petrol cars

I always buy Michelin energy tyres - good for fuel economy and wear. I dont need soft tyres as I dont drive like a spaz.

if you are looking at a run-of-the-mill diesel for hacking up and down the M1,then the laguna 1.9dci is quite a nice drive.

good for 55-60mpg and has plenty of welly left in it doing 90mph in 6th.

very comfortable cruisemobile

I am starting to think Avensis 2.0D

Reasonable price

Ultra reliable

Built in Britain (as I am staying in Britainisthan I might aswell support our lads in Derby)

55mpg combined

How long will the warranty last at 30-40K per annum? Personally, for that size budget and that many miles I'd want a 3 yr unlimited mileage warranty.

I guess that if you're not on the road you're not earning money?

How long will the warranty last at 30-40K per annum? Personally, for that size budget and that many miles I'd want a 3 yr unlimited mileage warranty.

I guess that if you're not on the road you're not earning money?

Toyota give 3 years / 60K as standard. My knowledge of manufacturing / legal view of warranties is that it is not worth paying as any manufacturing fault is likely to show up in the first 50K. Beyond that it is likely that the problem will be viewed as wear and tear.

It is not a Sales job - its trouble shooting / regulatory compliance / accident investigations for a large hotel / pubs / leisure group. If the car goes kaput then there is a car hire firm 1 mile from my house. I could borrow my dads car in an emergency, or use the train at a push.

I've had a test drive in an Audi with the 2.0tdi engine and the DSG gearbox and thought it was a perfect match of diesel economy (marginally better than manual according to the stats) and an auto box. It had the flappy paddles for when you want to change up and down yourself, but auto for the stop start nonsense in traffic jams. I have no idea at all about the technical issues, reliability etc, but it would be my starting point if I wanted a diesel. I think it's available across most of the VAG range now.

I've had a test drive in an Audi with the 2.0tdi engine and the DSG gearbox and thought it was a perfect match of diesel economy (marginally better than manual according to the stats) and an auto box. It had the flappy paddles for when you want to change up and down yourself, but auto for the stop start nonsense in traffic jams. I have no idea at all about the technical issues, reliability etc, but it would be my starting point if I wanted a diesel. I think it's available across most of the VAG range now.

Anyone tried the Prius?

65mpg combined on petrol sounds attractive.

Diesel is about 10% dearer than petrol.

So you say you get 42mpg now this means +10% to allow for diesels extra cost so 46.2 in diesel price terms.

Diesel will do 55mpg.

So say 35K per year. That means diesel will cost 35,000 / 55 * (£1.10 * 4.546) = 3182 GBP

Cost for your current car 3500 / 46.2 *(£1.10 *4.546) = 3788 GBP.

So you are going to save yourself 600 quid a year. Up to you but changing your car can not be cost justified by the saving from petrol to diesel.

IF the reson you are changing car is to save money because of the mileage I would see if you current car can be converted to LPG.

Anyone tried the Prius?

65mpg combined on petrol sounds attractive.

The Pious is great for stop-start town driving, but most of that energy efficiency goes out of the window if you're doing long-distance motorway cruising. A diesel VW golf or equivalent (not exactly built for maximum efficiency / minimum weight) will easily outdo the Pious in the energy efficiency stakes for the latter.

So you say you get 42mpg now this means +10% to allow for diesels extra cost so 46.2 in diesel price terms.

Diesel will do 55mpg.

So say 35K per year. That means diesel will cost 35,000 / 55 * (£1.10 * 4.546) = 3182 GBP

Cost for your current car 3500 / 46.2 *(£1.10 *4.546) = 3788 GBP.

So you are going to save yourself 600 quid a year. Up to you but changing your car can not be cost justified by the saving from petrol to diesel.

IF the reson you are changing car is to save money because of the mileage I would see if you current car can be converted to LPG.

I agree - the price differential makes diesel less attractive. Add to that higher road tax, initial outlay and the gap narrows. High speed motoring and the gap narrows further because the economy of diesel is better at low speeds. I also prefer driving a petrol car.

The car or the fuel?!?

Fuel is about 2% more round my way, sometimes exactly the same if you go to the garage where all the taxi drivers fill up...

got a brand new passat sport 2.0 tdi 140 hp for £16500 from a main dealer

I've had a test drive in an Audi with the 2.0tdi engine

I just got one of these. Not massively poky, but really quiet. You wouldn't really know you are driving a diesel. Can get 600 miles on 55 quids worth of fuel. I had a couple of Saab diesels before and you really do know you are in a diesel - very agricultural - clattery as hell. In fact I used to get paranoid driving down the high street as I was sure it turned heads from the racket it made.

I think the BMW diesel is good (if you can live with the image) and the Ford is good too.

Modern diesels are so good now, I wouldn't go back to petrol.

35,000 miles pa is about 700 gallons a year or some 90kWh a day!!!!

How many wood buring stoves do you need to install to get around that one eh kurt?

What about peaky oily? Global hoky poky? The panda bears?

Rent a room closer to work for the weekdays if you can.

Will probably cost you a bit more than the diesel saving but the 3 hours saved not being on the road will be more than worth it.

Edit:

If you take into account not having to pay £20k for the car which will be scraped in 5 years time (200k on the clock!!!) then it is cheaper, better and more free time for yourself.