House Price Crash Forum
tired-of-waiting

Could They Give Me Notice?

Hi everyone, newbie here

I have been renting the same property for the last seven years:

1. Not been decorated since I moved in.

2. Cooker has never worked.

3. Old carpets.

4. Damp in bedroom and living room (after flood).

The last rental increase is barely manageable! I am considering asking for a reduction in rent as I've finished my degree and now have no income until I start work (if there are any jobs left!).

Can anyone offer any advice on the following:

What worries me is that if I ask for the rent reduction they may ask me to leave, can they?

They are a very very very dodgy LA, the worst in the town I live, but the LL seems OK. I want to send the letter directly to the LL as well, just in case the LA decide not to pass the information on to LL, can I ask for the LL's address/contact details?

Thanks

tired-of-waiting

Hi T-O-W

In answer to your question yes they could give you notice, but they could give notice any time!! Why do you continue to stay in the place if its damp, 7 years is a long time to be without a cooker!!! If I was you MOVE, your LL can't be that good if he has been increasing rent yet leaving you with a substandard property. If you really feel you must stay there get a severe reduction, but there is lots of competition out there now and no need to stay where you are getting VFM. The only reason I am renting is it is cheaper than buying, Don't be paying over the odds just because you don't want to move. Demand you get your problems sorted or move. Thanks my 2p. Hope it helps.

Hi T-O-W

In answer to your question yes they could give you notice, but they could give notice any time!! Why do you continue to stay in the place if its damp, 7 years is a long time to be without a cooker!!! If I was you MOVE, your LL can't be that good if he has been increasing rent yet leaving you with a substandard property. If you really feel you must stay there get a severe reduction, but there is lots of competition out there now and no need to stay where you are getting VFM. The only reason I am renting is it is cheaper than buying, Don't be paying over the odds just because you don't want to move. Demand you get your problems sorted or move. Thanks my 2p. Hope it helps.

Basically, I'm skintus-maximus, no job, no money. I've been enquiring at local EA's and they say they need references, many LL's want you to be in full-time employment (I'm starting a PhD in October, so won't have full-time employment status), I have two cats (many LL's don't take pets), I like and feel safe in the area I'm living in (there are many dodgy areas in Huddersfield, nice areas are EXPENSIVE), I'm single with no kids and do not qualify for tenancies with housing associations. Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and am becoming seriously worried :(

Don't forget your value to your landlord.

You've been there 7 years. You haven't grumbled [by the sound of it]. You've paid the rent [i assume].

You're gold dust to the average landlord. Pays on time, no voids, can't be ar5ed to complain about the cooker.

If I were a landlord, I'd keep you even if I had to give a bit away on rent.

You have a lot more bargaining power than you think. But you're stuck into thinking about your own vulnerability rather than your landlord's.

You've been there 7 years. You haven't grumbled [by the sound of it]. You've paid the rent [i assume].

You're gold dust to the average landlord. Pays on time, no voids, can't be ar5ed to complain about the cooker.

You have a lot more bargaining power than you think. But you're stuck into thinking about your own vulnerability rather than your landlord's.

Thank you for such a balanced response. Suppose I should just make the approach and see how it goes. In the event of a 'worst case scenario' outcome I've got until October to sort myself out. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards...

As well as a rent reduction, also ask for the cooker to be fixed...they won't be able to relet without it.

I would do some research on the local property scene, to see what is out there, and if you like the look of a property and the rent level, have a chat with the landlord first. Although you feel you are in a weak position, you can point to your regular payment record and what should be a good reference from your current landlord; also, for any landlord used to working with students, the fact you're a PhD student is a good thing: you're likely to be more mature, you're less inclined to have parties, you're more likely to look after the property, and you're there all year rather than constantly going off on holidays leaving the house empty.

When I let houseshares to students I always preferred postgrads, preferably with someone staying long term who effectively became "house mother or father" in exchange for a lower rent from me. The long-term person usually gets the best room in the house and other privileges like the right to keep pets.

However it sounds like you've actually got your own self-contained place, not a houseshare, in whch case you are on a stickier wicket as they are usually in heavy demand, especially if they're cheap. I think you just need to ask nicely for both a rent reduction and some redecoration and a fixed cooker, presenting it to the landlord as an investment rather than a cost. But you do need to pluck up your courage and ask - most landlords, like tenants, just want a quiet life, but even the laziest ones will usually shift themselves if they're faced by the ghastly prospect of trying to find a replacement tenant they can actually trust.

Faux bear alert!

Examine the facts:-

You are new to HPC, and immediately set your status as a bear but.....................

You highlight the pitfalls of renting.

7 years covers the biggest boom in memory

damp, no cooker

LA with Dodgy reputation

Might get thrown out!

You strike me as a WUM.

PS - if you were genuine you would find your LLs address details in your tenancy agreement

Edited by Nick Dastardly

PS - if you were genuine you would find your LLs address details in your tenancy agreement

Tenancy Agreements from my LA do not contain landlords address, it is all C/O the LA

Tenancy Agreements from my LA do not contain landlords address, it is all C/O the LA

Same here, but I know just how dodgy my LA are and that simply asking for my LL's

address will raise suspicion with them - the office staff are rude, abrupt and nosey.

What the hell! I'm going to ask for it anyway :P