House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs Bear

Listed Building Query

This is a Grade II listed terraced cottage. I haven't been to look at it yet, but from the EA's info and floor plan can see that at some point (presumably before it was listed) someone's put what looks like a hideous and scrappy but very large single storey extension on the back (with no windows except for a roof light). The extension has taken up all of the former outside space so it'd be worth demolishing part of the extension in order to reinstate some sort of garden area.

Cottage needs a lot of general renovation work too, but area and location are great. If I got an architect to draw up plans (all in keeping with the character) could I get approval in principle before putting an offer in? I know all this can take ages and the property might go under offer in the meantime, but I think I might be inclined to risk it.

I know somebody's going to tell me to wait for prices to drop further, but I'm looking in a very small area and suitable properties hardly ever come up. And even when they do, someone's usually tarted them up in a hideous 'city apartment' style, not at all in keeping with period properties. I'd far rather buy a bit of a wreck and do it myself.

If I was in a similar situation I'd have a quick word with someone at the local planning department. Go armed with a picture of the property and another one showing the extension. They may just be extremely happy that someone wants to demolish that part of the building, then again they may not. At least they should give you an indication even if it isn't a definitive answer. It's also free.

If I was in a similar situation I'd have a quick word with someone at the local planning department. Go armed with a picture of the property and another one showing the extension. They may just be extremely happy that someone wants to demolish that part of the building, then again they may not. At least they should give you an indication even if it isn't a definitive answer. It's also free.

Thanks, Miguel.

You could always make an offer subject to planning approval for your proposed changes. This happened with a house near me recently (planning application by proposed purchaser was turned down in this instance and house now back on market). Anybody selling a listed property knows this is a big issue - if the seller is reasonable and treats you a a serious buyer, I can't see why they wouldn't be happy to pull it off the market while you got the yes/no from the planners and listing people.

This is a Grade II listed terraced cottage. I haven't been to look at it yet, but from the EA's info and floor plan can see that at some point (presumably before it was listed) someone's put what looks like a hideous and scrappy but very large single storey extension on the back (with no windows except for a roof light). The extension has taken up all of the former outside space so it'd be worth demolishing part of the extension in order to reinstate some sort of garden area.

Cottage needs a lot of general renovation work too, but area and location are great. If I got an architect to draw up plans (all in keeping with the character) could I get approval in principle before putting an offer in? I know all this can take ages and the property might go under offer in the meantime, but I think I might be inclined to risk it.

I know somebody's going to tell me to wait for prices to drop further, but I'm looking in a very small area and suitable properties hardly ever come up. And even when they do, someone's usually tarted them up in a hideous 'city apartment' style, not at all in keeping with period properties. I'd far rather buy a bit of a wreck and do it myself.

Speak to the local conservation area representative or team and you may be able to gain approval in principle for the demolition. As unsymapthetic or out of keeping the extension may look, if it was built prior to listing, it will have the same conditions attached as the whole cottage. I would imagine you would require a formal listed building cosent (8 weeks approx for decision) but a quick discussion with local residents and local conservation group (if present) may get a feel of local consent. good luck