House Price Crash Forum
athom

Top 10 Usa Bank Failures Of 2009

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31104792

Thirty-seven banks have failed this year, up from the 25 that shut down in 2008, which included Washington Mutual, the largest bank failure in US history. While the banks that have closed this year are not as large as WaMu, there have been some substantial banks that failed with assets in the billions.

But you know you need to cut back the dead wood so the green shoots can come through! (think i'm getting the hang of this positive spin malarkey)

If they just keep on falling what effect is this having on the public sentiment? Surely people are reverting to keeping their cash under the mattress? I've an urge to say gold but i know what would happen.

I my memory serves me correctly did not 2000+ banks fail during the savings and loan crisis of late 70's early 80's.

We have either a long way to go with bank failures or it was only the largest too big to fail banks that had all the problems.

I my memory serves me correctly did not 2000+ banks fail during the savings and loan crisis of late 70's early 80's.

We have either a long way to go with bank failures or it was only the largest too big to fail banks that had all the problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_Loan_crisis

The savings and loan crisis of the 1980s and 1990s (commonly referred to as the S&L crisis) was the failure of 745 savings and loan associations (S&Ls aka thrifts). An S&L association is a financial institution in the United States that accepts savings deposits and makes mortgage loans. The ultimate cost of the crisis is estimated to have totaled around $160.1 billion, about $124.6 billion of which was directly paid for by the U.S. government—that is, the U.S. taxpayer, either directly or through charges on their savings and loan accounts[1]—which contributed to the large budget deficits of the early 1990s.

If Wiki is correct your memory is a bit fuzzy especially with the dates. :P

If the $160bn bailout was inflation adjusted how would it compare to todays figure. Also the savings and loan crisis was just a US problem.