House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Boom Times For The British Tourism Sector... Not!

Met a 'tourism chief' for lunch. More stay at home holidaymakers, but... spend per head is down, duration of holidays is down, number of holidays is down, breaks largely last-minute and forward bookings for Autumn are a disaster.

And there was I thinking the tourism industry was doing OK. I stand corrected.

Met a 'tourism chief' for lunch. More stay at home holidaymakers, but... spend per head is down, duration of holidays is down, number of holidays is down, breaks largely last-minute and forward bookings for Autumn are a disaster.

And there was I thinking the tourism industry was doing OK. I stand corrected.

I have to say I had heard that stay-at-home tourism was holding up. This doesn't surprise me though.

The BBC news website as doing a recession barometer by speaking to a set group of small businesses, including hotels, periodically. They seemed to be all holding up quite well with some verging on 'what recession?' comments. However, in the last update they were all stuggling to put a positive spin on it, including the tourism/weak pound beneficiary businesses.

I have to say I had heard that stay-at-home tourism was holding up. This doesn't surprise me though.

The BBC news website as doing a recession barometer by speaking to a set group of small businesses, including hotels, periodically. They seemed to be all holding up quite well with some verging on 'what recession?' comments. However, in the last update they were all stuggling to put a positive spin on it, including the tourism/weak pound beneficiary businesses.

Had a brief look at a Business For Sale website this morning - large number of hotels and B&B's for sale in popular tourist areas. Most will be completely unviable so you're basically paying for a large house with shitty wallpaper and Avocado coloured bathroom suites...

Edited by Wannabe

Yes, I'm holidaying in the British Isles this year. First at my parents place, then at my wife's parents place. So I'm sure to spend loads of money..... not.

And it's not that we cant afford to spend more: I just look at what is on offer (generally crap in the UK, or having to travel at stupid times to go any places I want to go abroad in package deals, and neither here nor there being cheap) and I cannot be arsed this year. And my wife feels even more strongly about it.

Holidays are generally the major family expense of the year, and are totally discretionary:* If holiday companies want all that money, they need to make people feel better about spending it.

*When I was growing up we went on 2 family holidays, one when I was 7 (caravan in Devon) and another when I was 14 (cottage-thingy in Devon). I cant say I felt deprived or unusual. Such holidaying habits may be coming again in the decade or 2 of austerity to come.

i just got a free hotel night from RSA my insurance company because i was unhappy with their service. Its good for a few hotels around the country and will be ideal for viewing properties. However, i cant help thinking that its probably more to do with a below the belt attempt to get people out using those places.

I remember Hotel Lodge did a special, £19/night, so I booked 3 seperate weekends a month apart. It was great. My point is, if things are affordable then people will use them, but £50/night is unaffordable.

Instea of giving things away under the table they should just make places affordable.

In America you can stay in places for £10/night adn the result is a road trip culture and freedom. Its unheard of for poor pepole to 'hit the road' in the UK because everything is so expensive. The powers that be just HATE FREEDOM!!!!

I think what antagonises all this is the Health & Safety which is a blooody joke in this country. In Amsterdam the hotel cat stinks of mange and sits on your table at breakfast and leaves hairs all over the place adn eats out the bin bag at night. The smell of the cat is like a nose of smelling salts, you HAVE TO GET OUT INTO THE FRESH AIR AND DO STUFF. But there is no Health & Safety out there, the stairs are rickety, precipitous, and there is no font size big enough to describe the FAIL of the fire safety systems.

But they are cheap, affordable, and people are happy to use them.

No one holidays in england other than tourists doing London. There isn't a single place in england that compares to the tourist activity of the spanish beaches, Las Vegas and all that.

Scarbourough, Blackpool, lol, perfect for OAPS, very laid back and quite. Sooo exciting.

ill be holidaying in florida as usual

Edited by 50%deposit

Yes, I'm holidaying in the British Isles this year. First at my parents place, then at my wife's parents place. So I'm sure to spend loads of money..... not.

And it's not that we cant afford to spend more: I just look at what is on offer (generally crap in the UK, or having to travel at stupid times to go any places I want to go abroad in package deals, and neither here nor there being cheap) and I cannot be arsed this year. And my wife feels even more strongly about it.

Holidays are generally the major family expense of the year, and are totally discretionary:* If holiday companies want all that money, they need to make people feel better about spending it.

*When I was growing up we went on 2 family holidays, one when I was 7 (caravan in Devon) and another when I was 14 (cottage-thingy in Devon). I cant say I felt deprived or unusual. Such holidaying habits may be coming again in the decade or 2 of austerity to come.

I think these days not taking your kids to at least Spain, at least once a year, probably constitutes child abuse. (You can leave them in bed while you go to the bar though)

I think these days not taking your kids to at least Spain, at least once a year, probably constitutes child abuse. (You can leave them in bed while you go to the bar though)

Not attempting to derail the thread, but according to Blair's child poverty target (according to 'You and Yours' on R4 today), one of the criteria for child poverty is precisely that.

Not attempting to derail the thread, but according to Blair's child poverty target (according to 'You and Yours' on R4 today), one of the criteria for child poverty is precisely that.

I'll have to tell the wife. I'm sure to learn some new swear words when I do.