House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Green Jobs Disappearing!

I phoned an environmental consultancy that sometimes works for me this afternoon. They have closed down. Staff sacked. No work.

Phoned another consultancy in the home counties (my fall back). No work, everyone had gone home early. [don't you just love honest receptionists!]

Land reclamation, environmental management, renewable energy, ecological services, etc. Work has plummeted - Huh! Some Green Jobs Revolution!

Edited by gruffydd

Nope, but I did see that the renewables sector was struggling to attract investment. Didn't realise things were so dire in the environmental consultancy sector. A little shocked.

'Green energy' funding was withdrawn in full by most of the multinational petro companies last year.

Any linky for that?

Nope, but I did see that the renewables sector was struggling to attract investment. Didn't realise things were so dire in the environmental consultancy sector. A little shocked.

Im shocked you're shocked. These are made up jobs with no benefit to anything. Of course they vanish.

Im shocked you're shocked. These are made up jobs with no benefit to anything. Of course they vanish.

I use them because they are of benefit - they help me keep up with environmental legislation so I don't get into trouble with the Env Agency or others. They can also help companies cut running costs by helping them become more efficient, etc., etc.

Sure, you can do your own environmental compliance, but it usually takes me ages to understand leg changes so it's far more efficient for me to employ a consultant for half a day.

Edited by gruffydd

Guest มร หล&#3
I phoned an environmental consultancy that sometimes works for me this afternoon. They have closed down. Staff sacked. No work.

Phoned another consultancy in the home counties (my fall back). No work, everyone had gone home early. [don't you just love honest receptionists!]

Land reclamation, environmental management, renewable energy, ecological services, etc. Work has plummeted - Huh! Some Green Jobs Revolution!

I'm still working.

Design and permitting work for a hazardous waste facility in London and a big regen job in Portugal.

But had an email from an old mate ex-ERM. Atkins 600 laid off, Harrisons 80% gone, WSP 30-40% laid off.

Pretty much the end for that game. Most of it was total bull5hit anyway.

Guest มร หล&#3
I use them because they are of benefit - they help me keep up with environmental legislation so I don't get into trouble with the Env Agency or others. They can also help companies cut running costs by helping them become more efficient, etc., etc.

Sure, you can do your own environmental compliance, but it usually takes me ages to understand leg changes so it's far more efficient for me to employ a consultant for half a day.

Be careful using some of these consultancies, gruff. Most of these kids no nothing of legislation or how to interpret it. Neither do the EA clowns.

The Environment Agency became a shylock business. This is why they change the regs all the time, to get more revenue. Self-financing regulatory authority.

The whole thing is one unsightly mess.

Guest มร หล&#3

+1

I'd disagree with that.

we should certainly be funding stuff which gives us less dependence on middle eastern oil/russian gas etc.We should also be making serious efforts to reduce energy consumption.

Some of that is as simple as clubbing together with a couple of neighbours to do the kids school run.....if a rota system is devised then you'll be spending a lot less on petrol.(of course this means a return to being neighbourly and contact with people outside your little box...which the government are not keen on)

the process is twofold,the fisrt is the hardware to produce the energy ourselves

the second is to produce the gadgets like engines that travel many multiples of mpg than we do at present...here,in house....and not be over-reliant on the production of these things in cheaper countries like china.

we have to think nationally self-sufficient,and community locally.

....it's the wrong way round at the moment.

Edited by oracle

Take the credit away and everyone suddenly becomes green. Give people the credit and they consume new cars holidays etc... take it away and there is no need for envoronmentalists.

Seems obvious to me, its a bit like saying that companies that recyclie waste into other products are green, but of course they aren't because on the whole they rely on consumption for their business model.

If you want a "green" job you had better get the Govt and Banks to provide the credit to allow the over consumption to make the green job viable..

It's rather ironic to expect anyhing else than a reduction in green jobs as green is about less jobs, much less. The reality is that black energy jobs will be the ones that grow.

It's rather ironic to expect anyhing else than a reduction in green jobs as green is about less jobs, much less. The reality is that black energy jobs will be the ones that grow.

It's about fewer jobs but more work :ph34r: