House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000mph

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090612/tod-bo...-3-870a197.html

A teenager was hit by a meteorite travelling at 30,000mph - and lived to tell the tale.

Gerrit Blank was on his way to school when he saw a massive fireball heading straight towards him from the sky.

The white-hot meteorite bounced off the schoolboy's hand and hit the ground so hard it left a foot-long crater in the tarmac - as well as a three-inch scar on his hand.

Gerrit, 14, said: "At first I just saw a large ball of light and then I suddenly felt a pain in my hand.

"Then, a split second after that, there was an enormous bang like a crash of thunder."

"The noise that came after the flash of light was so loud that my ears were ringing for hours afterwards.

"When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself in the road."

Scientists are now studying the pea-sized meteorite, which crashed to Earth in Essen in Germany.

Chemical tests on the rock have now proved it is from outer space.

Ansgar Korte, director of Germany's Walter Hohmann Observatory, said: "It's a real meteorite, therefore it is very valuable to collectors and scientists."

Chances of being struck by a meteorite are around one in 100 million.

Mr Korte said: "Most meteorites don't actually make it to ground level because they evaporate in the atmosphere.

"Of those that do get through, about six out of every seven of them land in water."

There is only one other known case of a human being surviving a direct hit from a meteor.

A grapefruit-sized meteor crashed through the roof of a house in Alabama, in the USA, in 1954.

After smashing through the top of the building, it bounced off furniture and then hit a woman who was asleep at the time.

He was lucky to survive.

Guest theboltonfury
4171928556-boy-hit-meteorite-travelling-30-000mph.jpg

you'd think he woulda tidied his hair up before gettign photographed

looks like the head of a match to me.

Guest anorthosite
A teenager was hit by a meteorite travelling at 30,000mph - and lived to tell the tale.

No he wasn't. Meteorites don't travel at that kind of veolocity near the surface of the earth unless they're huge, in which case they explode. Most meteorites slow to terminal velocity before they hit the ground, a couple of 100mph of they're lucky.

Gerrit Blank was on his way to school when he saw a massive fireball heading straight towards him from the sky.

Then it was a hundred miles above him and missed.

The white-hot meteorite bounced off the schoolboy's hand and hit the ground so hard it left a foot-long crater in the tarmac - as well as a three-inch scar on his hand.

Meteorites aren't hot when they hit the ground. They ablate the molten material which is reduced to dust. Stone is such a poor conductor of heat that none of the heat from the passage through the atmosphere makes it into the inside. Many meteorites develop frost on them just after they land as the inside is as cold as space.

Chemical tests on the rock have now proved it is from outer space.

Ansgar Korte, director of Germany's Walter Hohmann Observatory, said: "It's a real meteorite, therefore it is very valuable to collectors and scientists."

So he bought it on the internet and passed it off as having landed on his head.

Its a bad picture, but it does look vaguely like one - they have quite a specific look.

P.S. I made a detailed study of meteorites when I was at university, and have about 50 of the damn things taking up space at home.

Guest theboltonfury

No he wasn't. Meteorites don't travel at that kind of veolocity near the surface of the earth unless they're huge, in which case they explode. Most meteorites slow to terminal velocity before they hit the ground, a couple of 100mph of they're lucky.

Then it was a hundred miles above him and missed.

Meteorites aren't hot when they hit the ground. They ablate the molten material which is reduced to dust. Stone is such a poor conductor of heat that none of the heat from the passage through the atmosphere makes it into the inside. Many meteorites develop frost on them just after they land as the inside is as cold as space.

So he bought it on the internet and passed it off as having landed on his head.

The mucky looking kid is a liar and should be appropriately dealt with.

That's cruel :o

maybe God thought he was aiming for GB, got mixed up and went for that kid instead?

lucky he missed in hindsight...

If it weighed 1 gramme and was indeed travelling at 30,000mph, then I estimate that it would had have the same kinetic energy as Kirstie Allsopp travelling at 97mph. He's lucky he lived to tell the tale.

Guest anorthosite
If it weighed 1 gramme and was indeed travelling at 30,000mph, then I estimate that it would had have the same kinetic energy as Kirstie Allsopp travelling at 97mph. He's lucky he lived to tell the tale.

Are you saying Krusty weighs about 95kg?

Are you saying Krusty weighs about 95kg?

I estimated 15 stone, just to be on the safe side. Do you think I was too conservative?

I see you were having an exciting Friday night in, checking people's calculations on the internet.

Guest anorthosite
I estimated 15 stone, just to be on the safe side. Do you think I was too conservative?

I see you were having an exciting Friday night in, checking people's calculations on the internet.

Oh, most people are conservative when it come to Krusty's weight. They just can't believe how heavy she truly is.

Of course, this does require that the mass of Krusty be compressed down to the size of a pea and fired at 97mph at the kid's hand. :o

Guest Skinty
Of course, this does require that the mass of Krusty be compressed down to the size of a pea and fired at 97mph at the kid's hand. :o

Size of a pea? That's getting a bit close to singularity territory isn't it?

Size of a pea? That's getting a bit close to singularity territory isn't it?

It appears that the Schwarzschild radius of a 95kg mass is about 1.4x10^-25 metres, so I think we're OK for the time being. I'm glad about that, because for a little while I was forced to contemplate the concept of entire universe being sucked to its death by KA, a cosmological fate which I'm sure is unconceived of by any theology. I checked the Wikipedia article on End Time and it doesn't mention Kirstie, but it seems that the Zoroastrians ("Zoroastrian eschatology is the oldest eschatology in recorded history", so they should know) believe that

"at the end of thy tenth hundredth winter...the sun is more unseen and more spotted; the year, month, and day are shorter; and the earth is more barren; and the crop will not yield the seed; and men ... become more deceitful and more given to vile practices. They have no gratitude." "Honorable wealth will all proceed to those of perverted faith...and a dark cloud makes the whole sky night..and it will rain more noxious creatures than winter."

They'd fit in real well here on HPC.

Further calculation shows that if KA were compressed into the volume of a pea then she'd have a density of about 3.2x10^19kg/m^3, which according to this table is similar to that of a white dwarf, alternatively known as a degenerate dwarf. I don't think that quite fits Kirstie, but I'm sure we can come up with plenty of other candidates.

It's also worth taking a look at the Wikipedia article on dord.

Guest anorthosite

Phew, just as well I've been out having a fun day with Mrs Anorthosite and didn't have the time to check your calculations.

Been a long time since I calculated a Schwarzschild radius. My astrophysics lecturer at university had us calculating them for all kinds of objects, from cars to moons.

Phew, just as well I've been out having a fun day with Mrs Anorthosite and didn't have the time to check your calculations.

Perhaps I made a deliberate mistake to catch you out.

Guest Skinty

Did you mean 3.2x10^9kg/m^3 instead?

Or is that just her bottom?

Guest anorthosite

I concur with your Schwarzschild radius calculation, about to check the other one.

EDIT: Skinty beat me to it.

Did you mean 3.2x10^9kg/m^3 instead?

Or is that just her bottom?

Oh. That really was a mistake (or at least a typo). Shows you how easy it is to misplace a factor of 10^10. Maybe I should get a job as an investment banker.