House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Wildcat Strikes Return To Lindsey Oil Refinery

we need strikes everywhere. it would help if they were all striking about Gordon Brown, but strikes are still representative of a poor economy which is Gordon Browns thing.

i hear the postmen want to go on strike and that the post office privatisation is oing ahead.

oh joy

I have a question... that never gets answered.

If people break the t&cs of their employment via strike action, what is to stop the company using disciplinary procedures against them?

The Metro this morning had the Tube strike on the front page. They claimed the RMT leader was boasting about the caos they'd caused and that they're prepared to strike again in a couple of weeks. At the end of the article, the Metro simply added that Tube drivers have a basic starting salary of £40k and 43 days holiday a year. Smart piece of journalism. Plenty of people commuting to London everyday won't have such good pay and conditions so not much sympathy around.

If people break the t&cs of their employment via strike action, what is to stop the company using disciplinary procedures against them?

Nothing. Sacking the lot is something that every company director dreams of.

Of course, the reality of this option makes it nigh impossible, what with all the sabotage, blockades, and violence.

The easier option is to just shut down and open up shop in another country.

Ahh, good old Maggie Thatcher.

The Metro this morning had the Tube strike on the front page. They claimed the RMT leader was boasting about the caos they'd caused and that they're prepared to strike again in a couple of weeks. At the end of the article, the Metro simply added that Tube drivers have a basic starting salary of £40k and 43 days holiday a year. Smart piece of journalism. Plenty of people commuting to London everyday won't have such good pay and conditions so not much sympathy around.

Yeah, I had to travel a mile and a half by bus in West London instead of the tube and it was ridiculously bad.

The problem is, is they always end up taking it out on the wrong people. I was in Sydney a few years ago and the metro workers staged planned industrial action. They did it not by going on strike and staying at home, but by showing up to work, and instead of charging for tickets they just opened up all the gates and let everyone go through for free all day.

It was resolved VERY quickly...

When do we get the generalised strike across various sectors forcing a general election? Is that tanks on the street time?

i'll go on strike!!!

im in the Web designers union

i'll just sit at home in my dressing gown, that'll make a change.

When do we get the generalised strike across various sectors forcing a general election? Is that tanks on the street time?

As long as we are effectively silenced by the virtual vent outlet, known as the internet, there will be no massive acts of civil disobedience. And what better and easier way for the state to keep an eye on us all?

Turn it off for a while and people will be out in the streets. I 100% guarantee it.

Guest eight

I thought that the right to withdraw labour was one of those inalienable human right.

eight

Those of us that have never been in a union are a little puzzled. What makes a strike different from simply just not turning up to work. If I did the latter I wouldn't have a job for long.

Those of us that have never been in a union are a little puzzled. What makes a strike different from simply just not turning up to work. If I did the latter I wouldn't have a job for long.

one person they can find a replacement, whole work force they can't.

It happened to me and the company sacked 2500 of us and employed people who wanted to work under the dickonson conditions......i just got a letter saying return to work on x date or your contract of employment will be terminated...tried a tribunal but we all lost..

i'll go on strike!!!

im in the Web designers union

i'll just sit at home in my dressing gown, that'll make a change.

Flippant reply!

Someone, somewhere is sitting there with the answer to free energy.

They just don't know it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7tA5f5RU2A...feature=related