House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Posting Styles

Guest AuntJess

Ever noticed that some people post on here to make a comment about this, that or t'other. Whilst others never instigate a discussion, but lurk about waiting to tear someone else's to shreds, which they inevitably do - frequently. Now every one counters an argument some of the time, I am refering to those who only EVER do this.Sort of habitual nay-sayers.

I find it is so much easier to criticise and oppose an opinion/comment, than it is to propose one.

Guest AuntJess
"everyone" not "every one" :P

Thankyou. I will accept that correction in the way it was intended.

Guest AuntJess

It is a type of poster I have spotted, as I go on my travels around forums. Not just one forum - not just one poster.

Ever noticed that some people post on here to make a comment about this, that or t'other. Whilst others never instigate a discussion, but lurk about waiting to tear someone else's to shreds, which they inevitably do - frequently. Now every one counters an argument some of the time, I am refering to those who only EVER do this.Sort of habitual nay-sayers.

I find it is so much easier to criticise and oppose an opinion/comment, than it is to propose one.

That's a polite way of describing a form of trolling is it not?

Trolls can also be existing members of such a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, more often than not based on what they thought was said rather than what was actually said by the other person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.

A troll is a person who approaches a board with the specific intention of destroying a forum’s hegemony, either with no particular motive or provocation in mind, other than to be purely destructive or if the motive or provocation is against the ethos of the board.

On the other hand, I think some people hang around on a forum called House Price Crash with the specific objective of pushing their right wing political views. That annoys me as much as people ripping your posts to shreds annoys you.

Guest X-QUORK

I couldn't agree more Jess. Some people seem unable to engage in serious discussion and feel threatened if others dare to question the percieved wisdom, so instead they use ad hom attacks as a last resort.

Guest AuntJess
On the other hand, I think some people hang around on a forum called House Price Crash with the specific objective of pushing their right wing political views. That annoys me as much as people ripping your posts to shreds annoys you.

You seem to find right wing views irritating, or why would you cite them in a thread such as this? Personally I find there are all sorts of political viewpoints expressed here, and it only becomes a bind when someone starts being personal with it. I am not talking specifically about MY posts ripped to shreds, but that some posters have a tendency to take the opposite stance in any debate.

What would be the point of that? Most people come here as they have some sort of interest in house prices going down (some up). These same people come with a variety of politcal view points.

I guess no person with left wing views would ever do that pondlife as they are perfect people.

Just by posting this you have yet again pushed a thread into politics..........................

"everyone" not "every one" :P

Depends whether AJ was using people or posters as the object in her sentence.

If it was people then correct: if, however, it was posters, then incorrect!

:lol:

Depends whether AJ was using people or posters as the object in her sentence.

If it was people then correct: if, however, it was posters, then incorrect!

:lol:

Nah, it negates the point otherwise. In general you refer to the subject. everyone has the two

points but 'every one' ?

Guest AuntJess

Tell you what lads. I'll ask my daughter, she teaches literacy! :lol:

I was intending to type everyone - if I did not it is a typo. I am am appalling typist and take longer to correct than I do to type. I do think tho' Tommy, that some of us should get out of our glass houses. :P

Glad to see that my poor little post has provoked so much furore. Some folks are easily excited. ;)

When is someone going to point out that I frequently miss out the pronoun? :huh: See sentence above.

You're correct, but you purposely fail to suggest that some people hang around with the specific objective of pushing their left wing political view too.

Can't imagine a more boring forum than one where everyone thinks the same or wants the same. After 5 minutes of patting each other on the back, you'd get bored.

Edited for spellink

You're correct, but you purposely fail to suggest that some people hang around with the specific objective of pushing their left wing political view too.

Can't imagine a more boring forum that one where everyone thinks the same or wants the same. After 5 minutes of patting each other on the back, you'd get bored.

Good point, well made

Can't imagine a more boring forum than one where everyone thinks the same or wants the same. After 5 minutes of patting each other on the back, you'd get bored.

Edited for spellink

Indeed. The main forum is getting a bit feisty now because of all these brown shoots. Some Bears have switched sides.

Let battle commence. ;)

Tell you what lads. I'll ask my daughter, she teaches literacy! :lol:

Mine was purely a joking post, and a little continuation in replying to the above. There are people who respond purely to rip to shreds

a point adjunct from anything else so I looked for any mistake in AuntJess' post as an example.

Edit: in fact

"I was intending to type everyone - if I did not it is a typo. I am am appalling typist and take longer to correct than I do to type. I do think tho' Tommy, that some of us should get out of our glass houses. tongue.gif "

Aunt Jess I thought you would see the irony straight away , or at least rise above it if you saw as an insult :(

And as is tradition the original so it doesn't get sidetracked.

Mine was purely a joking post, and a little continuation in replying to the above. There are people who respond purely to rip to shreds

a point adjunct from anything else so I looked for any mistake in AuntJess' post as an example.

Edit: in fact

"I was intending to type everyone - if I did not it is a typo. I am am appalling typist and take longer to correct than I do to type. I do think tho' Tommy, that some of us should get out of our glass houses. tongue.gif "

Aunt Jess I thought you would see the irony straight away , or at least rise above it if you saw as an insult :(

I suspected it might be a joke when you posted it.