House Price Crash Forum
tuggybear

Allotments For Sale

Tomorrow in my home town, there is an auction of 3 acres of orchard, with a view for later approval of garden land or allotment land. Guide price is around 10K

It is opposite a very affluent housing estate ( 300K) Ave 140K, all have relativity small gardens. And are aging members. I think they would all like this on their doorstep (council allotments have 2+ year waiting list).

I am thinking of buying (with the remainder of STR),

I have worked out that with 50 allotments each rented at £100? Year I will gross 5K / year.

Has anybody had an experience with renting / owning allotments?

Is this a bad call?

Edited by tuggybear

10K Is guide price at auction tomorrow.

It may well sell above guide price 10K +

but want you opinion on allotments.

Sounds idyllic, got a linky?

I honestly think allotments will make a "comeback".

You'd be looking at individual plots of around 2,600 square feet, which is quite some size, bigger than most gardens!

For 10k, I don't think you can go wrong. And you never know, in the next HPI in 10 years time, you might be able to sell it as building land and retire! But would that be ethical??

As you're proposing, it will be a nice little earner for you and give a lot of people countless hours of enjoyment.... just make sure that you can get permission for the change of use from an orchard to allotments.... if that's necessary.

Thanks Dubai for reply.

If local council would not give planning permission, or what ever needed, I would give plots away to whoever (may charge for donation).

Then maybe after 1-2 year talk to the council again (if needed) then start charging 100 / year

Edited by tuggybear

3 acres of land close to an upmarket development is not going to sell for 10k , its going to go for 50+

Yes your logic is correct, but it is en-compassed by road and a small river (no good for large scale farmers), at the moment its just scrub, a very large roadside verge.

I wil go tomorrow and see. (it's my first auction).

Also it's the last lot to be sold!

I just hope everyone has buggered off!

let you know tomorrow.

Has any body tried allotments before?

Edited by tuggybear

Fencing it to make it yob proof, water rates, insurance ...

But go for it.

It'd make a fantastic project for the local area.

And if you don't get it then make sure you do lots of anti-building on it protesting.

3 acres of land close to an upmarket development is not going to sell for 10k , its going to go for 50+

Or even more... someone will buy in the knowledge they can break even as an allotment or whatever and then cash in at a later date...... if there was an allottment income of £5k from it then you could see the price going to £100,000 on the basis of a 5% yield..... probably at £50k plus it would be a good deal as long as you can sell the allotment space.

Tomorrow in my home town, there is an auction of 3 acres of orchard, with a view for later approval of garden land or allotment land. Guide price is around 10K

It is opposite a very affluent housing estate ( 300K) Ave 140K, all have relativity small gardens. And are aging members. I think they would all like this on their doorstep (council allotments have 2+ year waiting list).

I have worked out that with 50 allotments each rented at �100? Year I will gross 5K / year.

Is this a bad call?

£100 a year seems steep. Ones I have taken on in the past have been about £25 a year. This is in south yorkshire and the midlands though, I don;t know where you are.

If I could find 3 acres of orchard for 10K near me, I'd bite your hand off. I'd be using it myself though.

I have worked out that with 50 allotments each rented at �100? Year I will gross 5K / year.

The beauty of Council allotments is that they are dirt cheap.

I can't remember how much I used to pay. £20 a year in 1990 ?

£100 a year is £2 a week.

£2 a week is a bag of potatoes and a cabbage.

Allotments produce far far more for that outlay.

Many allotment users do it for variety, growing radishes and onions and runner beans.

But most allotment users do it for fun - or to get away from the trouble and strife.

If you allow a bit more leeway than the Council - let folk have a grassed area and patio chairs etc.,

let them have a barbie and get pissed without being evicted - it might help.

Water is crucial - provide one tap per allotment and you will be on a winner.

Could be good - keep us posted.

I bet gypsies buy it,and move on.they are on a roll at present,being allowed to stay so as not to infringe on thier human rights.

3 acres, beside a river ?

I'm going to go and bid for this.

Put in a mobile home myself and apply for retrospective.

The beauty of Council allotments is that they are dirt cheap.

I can't remember how much I used to pay. £20 a year in 1990 ?

Oldham- average plot being about £60 a year.

But they want them all to go self-managed and have more interference from the council (Usual council twaddle!)

I think a well-run private allotment could charge £200 pa per plot. Having just joined Landshare, and started growing again after a gap of a few years, I'm carefully costing veg in supermarkets. I'm amazed how expensive they are. £4 a week for fresh veg, exercise, somewhere to teach your kids about growing things and a fascinating hobby is cheap.

A bunch of really fresh carrots, some courgettes and a kilo of premium quality flavour tomatoes is your four quid back.

There's a new bunch of would-be growers out there, and if they'll pay four quid for two Starbucks coffees, they pay it for a decent allotment.

if they'll pay four quid for two Starbucks coffees, they pay it for a decent allotment.

"Mine's a latte with cocoa sprinklings and a goat's cheese baguette with cress, thanks.

Yes, I'm digging in horse manure on saturday and then planting my radishes."

D'you really think so ?

Yes, I do. Growing veg is a very fashionable, middle class number now. Don't be surprised to stand behind a blonde at the Waitrose checkout, and get a whiff of horse muck.

SuperStock_1804R_7391.jpg

post-12677-1244713644_thumb.jpg

Edited by juvenal

Is this a bad call?

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for £100K. However, I don't know the full SP. For less than £20k you can't go wrong really, especially with the allotments idea - they're like rocking horse $hit.

Or even more... someone will buy in the knowledge they can break even as an allotment or whatever and then cash in at a later date...... if there was an allottment income of £5k from it then you could see the price going to £100,000 on the basis of a 5% yield..... probably at £50k plus it would be a good deal as long as you can sell the allotment space.

Yes but if you have 100k cash would you tie it up for a 5% yield (minus expenses) for many years on an offchance? Surely only if you have millions?

Is this a bad call?

Have you costed this?

There are 4840 sq yards in an acre. 14,520 sq yards in three acres. I calculate 2000 ft (?) of 7ft chainlink fence to make this secure. Plot holders will erect sheds to hold tools etc., and thieves are drawn to these (they sell swag at boot fairs etc). Stealing vegetables is now regrettably common.

12 plots an acre? Maybe a dozen standpipes needed? Is water laid on?

Electricity? Toilets may be needed. Local regs?

Above may be superfluous. The more I think on this one the more I can see a jaw dropping final bid at the sale. 50+