House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
50%deposit

London Fails To Make Top 50 'most Live-able' Cities

London is a big place though. I was in Tottenham/Edmonton last night and won't be returning in a hurry.

Most of my friends have lived, or do live, in the Clapham, Wandsworth, Tooting area but it has never appealed to me even though I enjoy it when I visit.

I live in Cambridge and much prefer it to London. If I want any of the museums,theatres,concerts etc then it is less than an hour to the centre of London from my front door which is not that much more than if you live somewhere like Tooting anyway .

I agree with the first part of what you said. London is massive and very diverse - to speak of one "London experience" is utter rubbish. It depends where you live and where you work. If I lived in SE London and worked in Canary Wharf I would have a very different experience from living in leafy north London and working in Marylebone.

One other thing is rubbish as wel;l - those who refer to London as 'concrete' or 'too built up' - it has more parks in the centre than almost any other city int he world.

Edited by River Man

And this is because we have frustrated that instinct of community which would make us unite in pride and dignity in the bigger gesture of the citizen, not the cottager. The great city means beauty, dignity, and a certain splendor. This is the side of the Englishman that has been thwarted and shockingly betrayed. England is a mean and petty scrabble of paltry dwellings called "homes."

The point you seem to have missed is that the vast majority of people can't fit into the beautiful or splendid parts of a good many cities all over the world. Take a look at Paris, or even Singapore*, and masses of others in between. People are living in ugly, soulless, endlessly sprawling blocks of flats on the outskirts.

I don't see that our sprawl of semis or terraces are any more 'mean', 'petty' or more 'paltry' than these. By and large Brits tend to prefer homes with gardens, and good luck to them. Anyone precious enough to sneer is not obliged to live in a 30s semi.

*But maybe you haven't travelled enough to see how most people actually live around the world.

it is less than an hour to the centre of London from my front door

Makes me laugh when all these people who can't afford to live in London and live outside justify it by saying but its only an hour away etc... :lol:

Guest Barebear
Ai... Big up London. I live in South West London! Awesome place, next to a nature park, the river wandle, loads of parks, the biggest Sainsbury I've ever seen (sad, I know), load of entertainment, neighbours who do talk but aren't creepy friendly. You know the type, the ones that drop in. Close to everything and I have a garden. All this for the grand price of 1000 PCM.

I make serious money so when I've had enough of London, I can afford to fly anywhere in the world. I can always get a well paid job here if I lose the current one. No biggy.

The weather here is a lot better than the North and the accent nicer too. Seems people from the North are so damn grumpy I conject its due to their rubbish cold weather. Also, I've never seen so many shell suits as I do in the North of the UK.

So please don't make your problems our problems. You can keep Liverpool, Manchester or what other Northern City you want, we'll keep London and we love it.

Long live the Independence of London from the scronging Northerners....

He he he...

Speak soon,

Sibley

I have to agree.

I know where you are and I'm fairly close in Sutton. I live twixt town and downs, I have everything I want here in a 2 mile radius.No real need for a car but I have one anyway. Victoria is 25 minutes away.

I've lived in other parts of the country but couldn't wait to get back to the London area mainly for the atitude of the people living there as compared with South coast too cliquey not much work, Devon really thick and backward and no work, East Anglia really thick but kinda cute withit.

Give me London anyday anything north of Watford is for the stinking fried mars bar eating northerners with their thick sounding accents.

Makes me laugh when all these people who can't afford to live in London and live outside justify it by saying but its only an hour away etc... :lol:

But I don't want to live in London....I'm simply pointing out I can get to the centre of London as quickly from my house as people who live there.

I know it must be hard to imagine from the beautiful and sophisticated surroundings of Tottenham or Walthamstow, viewed through the window of your bedsit, that people may not want to live in such a paradise.....

But I don't want to live in London....I'm simply pointing out I can get to the centre of London as quickly from my house as people who live there.

I know it must be hard to imagine from the beautiful and sophisticated surroundings of Tottenham or Walthamstow, viewed through the window of your bedsit, that people may not want to live in such a paradise.....

But from the awful urban hellholes of Highgate and Muswell Hill it looks very different...

I have to agree.

I know where you are and I'm fairly close in Sutton. I live twixt town and downs, I have everything I want here in a 2 mile radius.No real need for a car but I have one anyway. Victoria is 25 minutes away.

I've lived in other parts of the country but couldn't wait to get back to the London area mainly for the atitude of the people living there as compared with South coast too cliquey not much work, Devon really thick and backward and no work, East Anglia really thick but kinda cute withit.

Give me London anyday anything north of Watford is for the stinking fried mars bar eating northerners with their thick sounding accents.

Are Londoners innately more intelligent?

Guest Barebear
Are Londoners innately more intelligent?

No I don't think they are its just that generally speaking Londoners have always got work, there is always something in London where you can earn a crust. Therefore minds are always occupied. Like they say the brain is a muscle the harder you work it the stronger it gets.

For me its the more positive attitude here compared with other places I've lived and I put that down to availability of work.

I can fully understand why people with kids would not want to live in london [other than the super-rich who can afford private schools, nannies etc]. Who'd want to live someplace where your kid will be one of a minority of native english speakers in his or her class at school, where you're scared to let him or her walk the streets until he's 16 years old, where you probably can't afford a decent garden for him or her to play in?

What I also can't really understand is [other than the obvious ones like wanting to be with family] why people without kids and who can earn a good-ish eage would want to live anywhere else [in the UK]. The shops, restaurants, music, theatres, pubs clubs etc are many, many, lightyears ahead of the rest of the country in terms of quality, choice, opening hours, and the rest. The amount of history, places to visit, and so on is similarly unique. It's an urbam area but the city is planned in a way that means it has a lot more large green spaces than most big cities. There are loads of jobs of all types.

Of course there are a few disgracefully bad shithole areas that aren't safe or pleasant but anyone earning much more than about £25k can easily choose not to live in these provided they don't mind having a smallish place.

I have a love hate relationship with London, I love to hate it, and hate to love it. Sometime I love it and sometimes I hate it. ;)