House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
50%deposit

London Fails To Make Top 50 'most Live-able' Cities

I have lived in Japan & Germany & Czech Rep. & Middle East. I was a serial expat. And I HATED London. Other cities I lived in I could get to work in 10 mins, live in bigger flats, live near parks and afford to eat out every night. I swore I'd never live in London - til I had to. It takes YEARS to love London. It takes longer to get to work, you live in a relatively smaller space and everything is a hassle. My take on this is contrarian. London is no good when you're young which is when you're meant to enjoy it. It costs too much and you can't meet people after work without travelling across town for an hour. You're constantly broke. It's more fun when you're older don't want to go out every night and have a good well paid job. If you lose it you're likely to find another - everything is here. Then there's all the rubbish about theatres museums etc. - no int from me but you won't find better. And finally there's this thing I can't explain where you wake up after 4 or 5 years and can't honestly say you'd prefer to work anywhere else. Take breaks from - yes - but in the end you won't be as anonymous anywhere else in the world - that;s the attraction.And the history…the basic formula never chanes - anyone can come here - you arrive and sink or swim. It will never change

+1

Lot of truth there, dude.

The only thing I disagree with is the age angle: if you're single and on a decent financial package, London is a great place to be.

Once you start a family, the shine comes off sharpish.

I have lived in Japan & Germany & Czech Rep. & Middle East. I was a serial expat. And I HATED London. Other cities I lived in I could get to work in 10 mins, live in bigger flats, live near parks and afford to eat out every night. I swore I'd never live in London - til I had to. It takes YEARS to love London. It takes longer to get to work, you live in a relatively smaller space and everything is a hassle. My take on this is contrarian. London is no good when you're young which is when you're meant to enjoy it. It costs too much and you can't meet people after work without travelling across town for an hour. You're constantly broke. It's more fun when you're older don't want to go out every night and have a good well paid job. If you lose it you're likely to find another - everything is here. Then there's all the rubbish about theatres museums etc. - no int from me but you won't find better. And finally there's this thing I can't explain where you wake up after 4 or 5 years and can't honestly say you'd prefer to work anywhere else. Take breaks from - yes - but in the end you won't be as anonymous anywhere else in the world - that;s the attraction.And the history…the basic formula never chanes - anyone can come here - you arrive and sink or swim. It will never change

theres a clinical condition where kidnap victims start to sympathise with their captors. and i hear (ok im making it up) that quiate a few ews were so fond of auswitch that they had to be forcibly remove from their bunks that they had grown fond of an fought so hard to protect.

in other words, you are mad, you have become mad, you are no longer in possesion of the common sense that the younger you once had. maybe alshimers? something in the london water?

Well you would expect this kind of stuff from a bunch of losers like you get on here.

I'm born and bred Londoner. Yeah it's way too expensive and it has been gentrified to hell in some parts but the rest of the UK is just a dead-end. Nice countryside and all that but...you don't have anything.

If you want to sit in front of yor TV all your life and think eating a chicken korma is adventurous then you won't like London. But then you don't know London.

As for the crap about the north doing house...you didn't know what you had. Acid house was London, it still is, Manchester is dead. All your clubs are shut. We have hundreds every weekend, it's the place to play for DJs from all over the US and Europe...and you can't eat cheaply here? You don't know London. You can't get around? You don't know London.

You people don't know London, don't understand it, and like many of your (often racist) postings on HPC you are fearful weak people. You embarrass yourself by slagging it off, if it doesn't bother you, why refer to it? I don't sit around with my mates and slag off the provinces, we like your farms and quaint little cities with high rise parking...

Mind you Barcelona and Berlin are better cities right now imo... (clue: they are abroad) ;)

Sounds like someone's touched a nerve there....

So go on then, what makes London great?

+1

Lot of truth there, dude.

The only thing I disagree with is the age angle: if you're single and on a decent financial package, London is a great place to be.

Once you start a family, the shine comes off sharpish.

YOu are probably right - when I was younger in London I got paid nothing - clearly theres lots to do here when you're rich. No matter how rish you are you do periodically get these moments where you wonder where all yr money went

These surveys are about as insightful and accurate as an Anatole Keletsky economic forecast. I'm from oop North and I lived in t'Midlands for 5 years too. I've been in London for nearly 4 years now I find life down here is perfectly amenable.

I work for an international company and I like the multinational nature of the city. I make decent money (but not a huge amount), but I'm happy to pay a premium to rent in a nice area. Ultimately this will define your experience in the capital.

A nice one bedroom place is fine for me and the missus, even if the price makes my old Dad's eyes water. My street in Maida Vale is quiet, tree-lined and clean. Life is pretty simple - there's a beautiful park at one end of the road and a library at the other. Council taxes are low. I'm 1 minute walk from a tube station and 20 minutes from the office. Despite the undeniable pollution, I run home from work each day through Regents Park.

I love it, and I'll take the weather down here over rainy old Lancashire any day. But here's the thing with London.. just a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute drive and you can find yourself in what appears to be a different country. A country where you don't want to find yourself lost at night.

theres a clinical condition where kidnap victims start to sympathise with their captors. and i hear (ok im making it up) that quiate a few ews were so fond of auswitch that they had to be forcibly remove from their bunks that they had grown fond of an fought so hard to protect.

in other words, you are mad, you have become mad, you are no longer in possesion of the common sense that the younger you once had. maybe alshimers? something in the london water?

Its called Stockholm Syndrome and I like your idea. Thats basically true. Whereever you live you get used to it and its okay - at least in Western Europe or other free societies. It is amazing that a house in say Battersea can cost a million pounds. And people stay...sometimes even when theyve paid for it. I still maintain the attraction is anonymity and that the fact that its basically an open border - anything goes fo anyone. I dont much like the Boris hype about the greatest city on earth. Its peobably the gretest coty in Europe - doesnt make it the best place to live - but its a world city - and if youre into that Londons for you

Stockholm syndrome.

Now, Stockholm is a nice place, a tad boring, and too fecking cold half the year and not warm enough for the other half...... But I'd rather live there than London.

London is great if you have loads of cash.

I currently live in Hong Kong and it puts London to shame. Also, you can live incredibly cheaply if you want to.

By the way Paris is the biggest shit hole in the world. I wouldn't even let the mother in law live there. ;)

I was there for 3 years before getting shipped to NY. HK is awesome. 16% tax and the 20hkd cab fares were the best thing ever. Sai Kung is a tropical escape 30 mins away in a cab. Gutted I had to leave.

Stockholm syndrome.

Now, Stockholm is a nice place, a tad boring, and too fecking cold half the year and not warm enough for the other half...... But I'd rather live there than London.

swedish_girls.jpg

LONDON is far far far far far too packed for a city that size. its lost its sparkle and its just utter chaos. it lacks the efficiency of new york and the glamour of LA and the weather of sydney. to me now, all it seems to be a mad, nasty crush.

i used to like passing through as work took me there many times, but for me now its a place to be avoided. to travel into london is like quicksand. i have no idea what drives people to work and live there. to do so means an absolute destruction of your income for little more than a rat like existence.

the reward - carbon monoxide and crime.

i have no idea what drives people to work and live there. to do so means an absolute destruction of your income for little more than a rat like existence.

That sounds faintly ridiculous to someone who grew up in area of the UK that offered few prospects or opportunities. The same could be said for my other half, who grew up in a comparable area of the US.

The opportunities for life and work that London presents are undeniable, evidenced by the number of people that come here to make their way.

i agree its chaos but it was ever thus

it was never this bad. i used to enjoy it. since around 02 its just gone manic. its lost all appeal for me. theres no 'london' anymore. the roadmaster buses are gone. cockneys are theives and there are no 'areas' that hold any tradition or social cohesion. no jellied eels and no lambeth walks or pearly queens. its dead. like the thames did at the start of the century. dead fish all around. stink. over crowding. pollution and poverty. interspaced by the occasional crass decadence of a passing city boys ferrari.

for most londoners, its just one big packed out shaftabule living and working around historic monuments and buildings they havent even the time or pace of life to even stop and visit them. theres no more point to london.

central government should be moved to york.

Edited by right_freds_dead

That sounds faintly ridiculous to someone who grew up in area of the UK that offered few prospects or opportunities. The same could be said for my other half, who grew up in a comparable area of the US.

The opportunities for life and work that London presents are undeniable, evidenced by the number of people that come here to make their way.

i disagree. i knocked back a 60k pa offer for a london job on the grounds of 'life quality'

you wont find me getting up at 6am to sit on a packed tube to some grey office, starbucks coffee and a fancy sandwoch, before fighting my way home to some forsaken studio flat and a shared bathroom.

to live in london is to be imprisoned from life.

rats in a lab. minions. cogs. thats all.

I think referring to the rave scene/Madchester etc. is a bit out of date?! There are plenty of very good club nights in London & around if you look. Manchester & Liverpool still have (always had) a great live music scene - but where do the musicians move to when they make it? oh yeah London, obviously cos it is a sh!thole.

I didnt actualy use the word 'Madchester' I was comparing current clubbing. I don't dispute the fact that London has good clubs - I was replying to your post that said anyone outside of London goes to a Tesco for a night out or eats out once a year. But I do still stand that outside of London there are better club events. London clubbing is looking decidedly dated now with less and less events each month. I have been a big fan of London for over 10 years so trust me that it saddens me to see this.

Musicians dont generally move to London these days - everything is done by electronic transfer (I know this as a friend of mine works for EMI).

The live music (unsigned bands) around the UK is far better than in London: It's just too expensive to hire a venue these days.

You have to wonder about the criteria though.

Perth and Adelaide are in the top ten, and there's literally NOTHING to do in either of them. The whole list just seems to favour bland, mid-sized cities in wealthy and lightly popluated countries.

I suspect it was picked by the Stepford Wives...

Sounds like someone's touched a nerve there....

So go on then, what makes London great?

1/ Entertainment. Compare Time Out with whatever the equivalent New York (or other city) publication is and you'll find London has far more live Music, Comedy, Theatre etc than anywhere in the world. Being ahead on playing other people's pre-recorded music doesn't really cut it. And then there's the art galleries too.

2/ Travel & Social life. Some may complain about having to travel an hour each way to have a night out with your mates, but it'll only cost a few quid. Where else in the UK could you meet up with mates who live miles away without having to drive or taxi it each way for a tenner a time?

That's why it seems like everyone wants to live as close to Mayfair as they can possible get.

1/ Entertainment. Compare Time Out with whatever the equivalent New York (or other city) publication is and you'll find London has far more live Music, Comedy, Theatre etc than anywhere in the world. Being ahead on playing other people's pre-recorded music doesn't really cut it. And then there's the art galleries too.

2/ Travel & Social life. Some may complain about having to travel an hour each way to have a night out with your mates, but it'll only cost a few quid. Where else in the UK could you meet up with mates who live miles away without having to drive or taxi it each way for a tenner a time?

That's why it seems like everyone wants to live as close to Mayfair as they can possible get.

Can I ask if you have lived anywhere else to make comparisons to?

I do agree with another post about how strange it is that a lot of Oz cities are in the list: I used to live in Brisbane and it's possibly the most boring antiseptic place I've ever been to.

I love it, and I'll take the weather down here over rainy old Lancashire any day. But here's the thing with London.. just a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute drive and you can find yourself in what appears to be a different country. A country where you don't want to find yourself lost at night.

Any town is like that, wasn't the estate where the hoodlums hounded out the asian shopkeeper in Lancashire?

i disagree. i knocked back a 60k pa offer for a london job on the grounds of 'life quality'

the roadmaster buses are gone. cockneys are theives and there are no 'areas' that hold any tradition or social cohesion. no jellied eels and no lambeth walks or pearly queens. its dead

When were you last in London the 30s? London's gone 'manic' because it briefly took a shot and becoming the capital of the world. It's an open economy and attracted the worlds best and finest. Following the crunch its ambition has probably softened but we're talking about a truly world city incomparable to any other in Europe - even Paris. This will threaten it's 'Englishness' but again it was ever thus. Victorian Britain - the last shot London had at truie greatness brought the whole world to London. What we think of characteristically 'English' was ften imported - fish and chips. Many of your 'cockneys' were Jewish who were a curiosity as exotic as todays Brick Laners. The downside is 60k is a modest income in London. And I can understand you not wanting to work ehere for it. But no risk no fun - that's the great metropoils as significant in history as Rome or Venice or New York.

Edited by Property Owning Democracy

No one has mentioned that this list works on NYC being the medium. It's just based on stuff like crime rate, employment prospects, air quality...

In the top 20 they are mostly small citys that I'm sure are nice places to visit for the weekend, but far to dull to live there.

quote name='right_freds_dead' date='Jun 11 2009, 03:24 PM' post='1945935'

the roadmaster buses are gone. cockneys are theives and there are no 'areas' that hold any tradition or social cohesion. no jellied eels and no lambeth walks or pearly queens. its dead

When were you last in London the 30s? London's gone 'manic'

:lol::lol:
because it briefly took a shot and becoming the capital of the world. It's an open economy and attracted the worlds best and finest. Following the crunch its ambition has probably softened but we're talking about a truly world city incomparable to any other in Europe - even Paris. This will threaten it's 'Englishness' but again it was ever thus. Victorian Britain - the last shot London had at truie greatness brought the whole world to London. What we think of characteristically 'English' was ften imported - fish and chips. Many of your 'cockneys' were Jewish who were a curiosity as exotic as todays Brick Laners. The downside is 60k is a modest income in London. And I can understand you not wanting to work ehere for it. But no risk no fun - that's the great metropoils as significant in history as Rome or Venice or New York.

i dont think its a world city anymore. i think its a carcass.

i would have jumped at that job for half that salary pre 2002 for the london living experience, but the current experience is terrible and more than ever pointless and ultra stressful. crowded and overpriced. theres nothing 'london' about it anymore. its had its day.

its lost its heart.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-...es-1699988.html

London is a blooody shiithole.

i have been to other cities and what you find is that many people live in them, but not london, at night its a ghost town of ofices and shops and only the really rich can live there.

compare that to my fave place amsterdam where poor people live in the city centre. admittedly its all a differnt scale but the difference is noticable, above all the shops and such there are homes with normal people living in them, not just the blooody rich.

london is a concrete nightmare.

Absolutely agree on London and also Amsterdam.Berlin is equally nice IMHO.

Can I ask if you have lived anywhere else to make comparisons to?

I do agree with another post about how strange it is that a lot of Oz cities are in the list: I used to live in Brisbane and it's possibly the most boring antiseptic place I've ever been to.

In terms of major cities, not lived, no. I had a two week holiday in LA, San Francisco and New York, one of the first times I'd been abroad and was surprised how little choice there was for live music and comedy, even in New York. The "Village Voice" had much less in it compared with Time Out.

I spent a weekend in Glasgow some years ago, Time Out covered Glasgow and Edinburgh and was for a fortnight and was tiny compared with the London version.

I spent a few weeks working in Hong Kong, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur and there was far less to do there. When I holidayed in Sydney and Melbourne, same story there. I have a friend who live in Brizzy - just pointless unless you have to be there.

As for live music anywhere on the Continent - Europop <shudder>.