House Price Crash Forum
Kurt Barlow

Employment Contracts

I have just started work with a medium size company - reasonable job but dullish and paying just short of £50K. However have just been offered other position with FTSE 250 company with £60K package and much more interesting work. The offer is sound and the company in question is represented by an old uni associate who even arranged an interview in the evening with the companies HR director (they came to me) because of the problems with getting out in the daytime.

I have been in the new job one week. Assuming other company offer bonefide contract is there any legal obstacle to just terminating existing contract. I feel a bit bad but business is business and you only live once.

KB

Edited by Kurt Barlow

Have you signed anything where you are? Or are you on a probationary type period?

It's possible they may have a clause to make deductions to offset administrative costs etc of taking you on.

Otherwise at this juncture in things it's as easy for you to ditch them as it is for them to ditch you - bilateral contracts

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

Have you signed anything where you are?

yes - just checked contract - its 4 weeks notice in first 6 months. however if i tell em job isnt for me they might aswell release me instantly unless they want to pay me for 4 weeks

oh and the company are pirate equity and make local govt look really efficient :lol:

yes - just checked contract - its 4 weeks notice in first 6 months. however if i tell em job isnt for me they might aswell release me instantly unless they want to pay me for 4 weeks

oh and the company are pirate equity and make local govt look really efficient :lol:

They may agree a 'meet you half way' settlement on notice or just put you on gardeing leave anyway.

For me, and probably many companies, it's much better to have someone out the door asap than them lurking about downloading data on to memory sticks to take to their new employer.

They may agree a 'meet you half way' settlement on notice or just put you on gardeing leave anyway.

For me, and probably many companies, it's much better to have someone out the door asap than them lurking about downloading data on to memory sticks to take to their new employer.

cheers

there is nothing i can take from company and would happily write off one week as unpaid work experience!

The other company have a number of regulatory issues that I get a real buzz from trying to resolve / mitigate - infact my interview was based around that format. The other companies work is ok but dull dull dull.....

Something similar happened to me a few years back - I was on 4 weeks notice but there wasn't actually any work for me to do, so I got a new job after being there for about a month. What I did was write them my resignation letter acknowledging the 4 week contractual notice period but asking if I could leave early, as I had only been there a short time. They agreed without any fuss...

If a company is offering you 50k then they desrve a bit of loyalty.

On the other hand

whatever product they sell no doubt they will sell to the highest bidder, which is what you would be doing by taking the 60k job

Something similar happened to me a few years back - I was on 4 weeks notice but there wasn't actually any work for me to do, so I got a new job after being there for about a month. What I did was write them my resignation letter acknowledging the 4 week contractual notice period but asking if I could leave early, as I had only been there a short time. They agreed without any fuss...

Cheers mate

this is what I suspect will happen but am interested in hearing others experiences as this is new territory for me.

cheers

there is nothing i can take from company and would happily write off one week as unpaid work experience!

The other company have a number of regulatory issues that I get a real buzz from trying to resolve / mitigate - infact my interview was based around that format. The other companies work is ok but dull dull dull.....

Just to clarify, wasn't suggesting you would take stuff etc. Just that sort of thing, and worse, does happen and companies usually want to mitigate their risks.

First of all, make damn sure the second offer is rock-solid.

Then just go to your current employer and say things are not working out, and that you'd prefer to leave as soon as possible. After a bit of suppressed anger (kind of justified, don't you think), I am sure they will let you go very quickly. If they talk about working out your notice period, then just stop going into work. There is very little they can do.

First of all, make damn sure the second offer is rock-solid.

Then just go to your current employer and say things are not working out, and that you'd prefer to leave as soon as possible. After a bit of suppressed anger (kind of justified, don't you think), I am sure they will let you go very quickly. If they talk about working out your notice period, then just stop going into work. There is very little they can do.

Cheers

I have said to prospective employer that until I have rock solid offer I am not making any move in respect to my current employment.

I know what you are saying about the anger bit but tbh we would only be crossing this bridge 6 months down the line. I reckon overall better off terminaating now.

My given reasons will be family / commercial sector just not my passion - unlike the other senior managers;-)

Cheers mate

this is what I suspect will happen but am interested in hearing others experiences as this is new territory for me.

It really is on a case by case basis: Some companies will let you go straight away, some will make you work your notice (and 4 weeks isnt really so bad) and some will negotiate and meet you half way.

Whatever, though, do it all in a friendly way and, while you are there, put in the effort, hell, put in more than the effort. That way you leave them thinking that you're not such a bad chap after all, and you might even enjoy yourself: It is a small world for most professionals, and you dont want to go about leaving a trail of annoyed people people behind you. You want to leave them thinking 'Good chap, shame we lost him so soon.' rather than 'Tosser, glad he went before he did damage.'

But do go.....

Agreed with General Melchett. Burning bridges on the way up generally isn't a good idea (though in some cases doing so is unavoidable: the trick is to not to do it unless it's really necessary) because you might need to cross them on the way down. The smaller the professional field you're working in, the more this applies.

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri

It really is on a case by case basis: Some companies will let you go straight away, some will make you work your notice (and 4 weeks isnt really so bad) and some will negotiate and meet you half way.

Whatever, though, do it all in a friendly way and, while you are there, put in the effort, hell, put in more than the effort. That way you leave them thinking that you're not such a bad chap after all, and you might even enjoy yourself: It is a small world for most professionals, and you dont want to go about leaving a trail of annoyed people people behind you. You want to leave them thinking 'Good chap, shame we lost him so soon.' rather than 'Tosser, glad he went before he did damage.'

But do go.....

I do genuinely feel uncomfortable about leaving so soon but my gut feeling is I will bore in the job quickly. In contrast this other job is £10K a year more and I am much more interested in the sector (retail & hospitality). The job I am currently in is care sector.

The other job is also much nearer to home and my aged parents.

So it will be really really sorry, but I dont think the job is for me, not settling living away from home, need to be nearer to parents (to look in them etc), the job needs someone with a passion for the sector........very sorry -happy to work notice or go immediately,

Agreed with General Melchett. Burning bridges on the way up generally isn't a good idea (though in some cases doing so is unavoidable: the trick is to not to do it unless it's really necessary) because you might need to cross them on the way down. The smaller the professional field you're working in, the more this applies.

I want to do this as amicably as possible an do acknowledge the problem this will cause.

I want to do this as amicably as possible an do acknowledge the problem this will cause.

and just to help the decision making process...

I have come back to my digs for lunch which I have rented on a Mon night-fri afternoon. My landlady comes up to me and says oh I didnt realise you would come back for lunch. It feels like my privacy is being invaded....ffs!

I have a lodger at home and as far as I am concerned mon-fri he can come and go as he pleases - and if he needs to stay the odd fri/ sat night just ask.

What on earth does the OP do to justify being paid £50,000 a year? Wages are going to tumble and people like the OP are in for a massive shock when they realise their job can be done just as easily by:

A computer

or

Someone in india

What on earth does the OP do to justify being paid £50,000 a year? Wages are going to tumble and people like the OP are in for a massive shock when they realise their job can be done just as easily by:

A computer

or

Someone in india

Most jobs cannot be just as easily done by people in India, well not if you want them done well or quickly

Andy

I do genuinely feel uncomfortable about leaving so soon but my gut feeling is I will bore in the job quickly. In contrast this other job is £10K a year more and I am much more interested in the sector (retail & hospitality). The job I am currently in is care sector.

The other job is also much nearer to home and my aged parents.

So it will be really really sorry, but I dont think the job is for me, not settling living away from home, need to be nearer to parents (to look in them etc), the job needs someone with a passion for the sector........very sorry -happy to work notice or go immediately,

The difference between the two jobs in terms of take home is about 400/mth so quite signficant, but I think enjoyment is a big consideration, and people tend to do better and get further in jobs they enjoy, as it is easier to learn and stay motivated. But of course you know all that! I have seen many people work for a short period of time in jobs I have been in i.e. 1 or 2 weeks. However I have never seen a 1 month notice period from the start of employment it is usually 1 week. The other job may wait 1 month for you ? ?

Most jobs cannot be just as easily done by people in India, well not if you want them done well or quickly

Andy

+1 and I am in IT, there will be plenty of £50k+ jobs and six figure jobs when we come out of this, the trouble is most of them haven't been invented yet.

It's easy to process and beat the cost out of a particular job/career/task when you have years of cost data much harder when the job/process/industry hasn't been created yet.

Same old skills will be valuable:

Creativity

Stamina

Ability to work under pressure

Guile

High level people skills

Expertise in your chosen area

The more things change the more they stay the same.

A computer

or

Someone in india

I have 4 or 5 senior guys in my business who earn well in excess of this and they are worth every penny. They can create opportunities, bring them in and operate them all with minimal support from the owners of the business. They are people experts as well as expert in their own areas a skill mix that will always be well paid.

Their wages won't tumble now or in the future, as someone has already said not everything can be done in India and even if it is the skills above will still be required.

My question harsh as it is how can someone expect to earn much at all for a routine task that can be esaily replicated or replaced?

A computer

or

Someone in india

Trouble shoot for FTSE Companies and more critically act as a sentinel between the Directors and their potential liabilities under the Corporate Manslaughter Act 2007. ;)

Feel free to offshore that to the Punjab :lol: