House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kyoto

Anyone Taken Anti Depressants?

As off topic as it can be, but figured I would ask my favourite forum.

I've been prescribed an anti-depressant. Not for reasons of depression, but as it can help with some muscle problems.

Crapping myself slightly about taking them. Anyone got any horror stories or preferably managed to come through on the other side?

Seroxat = Paroxetine = Paxil = 'That suicidal shit in America'

It gave SWIM a buzz for a few hours then made SWIM feel depressed but not suicidal by any stretch.

SWIM used it to enhance drinking ability a few months after that - 56 pills worth, but less than 10 used cos it wasn't worth the effort.

For the uninitiated, SWIM = Someone Who Isn't Me

Drugs Forum

TFH

Is it amitriptyline you're taking by any chance?

There's a lot of guff written about antidepressants in the media but they are generally safe and non addictive.

I would think that you have been prescribed a lower dose if it's for back pain.

I would personally never take them if not for depression/depression related illnesses.

Is it really worth messing with your mind 24 hours a day to alleviate a muscle problem?

What's the muscle problem anyway out of interest?

There's a lot of guff written about antidepressants in the media but they are generally safe and non addictive.

I would think that you have been prescribed a lower dose if it's for back pain.

Citalopram - low dose. Hate putting this shit in my body but in a lot of pain....! Eek!

What's the muscle problem anyway out of interest?

Muscles tightening up all over the shop. Has been put down to anxiety, though don't feel anxious or under any stress.

A good point there rolf. Just feels a bit heavy handed approach.

As off topic as it can be, but figured I would ask my favourite forum.

I've been prescribed an anti-depressant. Not for reasons of depression, but as it can help with some muscle problems.

Crapping myself slightly about taking them. Anyone got any horror stories or preferably managed to come through on the other side?

Depends what type - some are really rather nasty. A good place to start is Crazy meds .

There's a lot of guff written about antidepressants in the media but they are generally safe and non addictive.I would think that you have been prescribed a lower dose if it's for back pain.

Agree.

Took them for 10 years without any problems. On doctors advice eventually halved dose, then quit. No side effects or difficulties. But watch alcohol.

who on earth is prescribing citalopram for back-ache ? even if it may be anxiety related ? I have experience of citalopram, one of the family of SSRI medications (selective serotin re-uptake inhibitors), in laymen's terms it lets your synapses hang on to the happy juice your brain naturally creates before letting it cross to another synapse. Or something like that. SSRI's are not to be confused with the previous generation of a/d's the tricylites (or whatever they were called), these were addictive and their nis currently a whole generation of people who are on those for life.

having had backache and citalopram, I would not consider using one to treat the other. But then I am not a doctor. presumably your GP must think that your anxiety is so bad that it is giving you backache. I would consider exercise, yoga and meditation if you consider your anxiety not to be that serious.

If you do decide to use ity, note that SSRI's can take up to 7 weeks to kick in, for some it takes less , but usually no more than 7 weeks. Also, you can experience some side affects, none of them too serious, but they do exist, never the less. Also - and this is important - you must tail off the medication* , do not simply stop taking the medication, even if you feel better. You must tail of gradually. This is not because of the addictive nature but because your brain chemistry does become altered by the SSRI and you need to gradually reduce it.

* if your GP has not told you of the necessity to tail off the use of citalopram, then get yourself a new doctor now ! Also, you could do worse than to get a second opinion on this whole thing

Hope this helps.

Guest AuntJess
Muscles tightening up all over the shop. Has been put down to anxiety, though don't feel anxious or under any stress.

A good point there rolf. Just feels a bit heavy handed approach.

I'd take tricyclics if I needed a bit of chemical help as SSRIs haven't been around that long. The former also don't affect your libido. ;)

Like trickster said, have you tried stuff like relaxation, a masseur, chiropractor, acupuncture, Alexandra technique. There is also summat called cranial osteopathy, which Jon Snow had for depression...and it sorted it. I have heard other good things about it too.

Sad thing is all these things cost - pills are cheap,so it is up to you. Pills are a quicker fix, but the other methods would probably have alonger-lasting effect as they would require you to change yourself in some way - lifestyle - posture etc. Think about it. ^_^

Guest KingCharles1st

I survived a nasty car accident with ripped chest muscles and cracked ribs.

The Hospital prescribed a very powerful painkiller, I didn't realise how powerful, until the first prescription ended, and I jsut went through the floor mentally. I had obviously been high as a kite while I was on these things...

I'd take slight issue with the innocuous comment. Psych drugs appear to be very person dependant and what works for some won't work for others. YMMV is particularly pertinent with these concoctions.

I'm on Citalopram and Mirtazapine for depression and they are royally screwing about with my head - though that's probably just a matter of degree from my normal state :-/ Others have found either to be a magic bullet, or something else has worked. A friend of mine is a mess without Seroxat but seemingly 100% normal on it.

I found that Citalopram was fine in low doses, say 10mg (the 'old lady' dose), but suffered from massive mood swings at higher levels (psychotic murderous maniac to suicidal to horizontally chilled and back again over a few days).

I'm now back down to 20mg and on Mirtazapine (sedating and turns off the full belly switch in the brain, leading to monster weight gain) and just about getting by and doing some workzzzzzzzz. Mood all over the place if less than on Cit alone and feeling spaced the rule rather than the exception. When the local psychiatric service has cleared its desk enough to look at my issues I'll doubtless be on something else...

Citlopram seems to be the GP's first port of call for anxiety, depression related problems (I presume it's a generic now). Give it a few weeks to work but don't be afraid to get your GP to try something else if the side effects are giving you problems. Coming off Citalopram is easy from low doses, and okay from higher doses if reduced slowly. Again YMMV.

Wikipedia entries on ADs informative but list of side effects enough to frighten anyone - don't let them put you off but keep them in mind as you experiment.

Like trickster said, have you tried stuff like relaxation, a masseur, chiropractor, acupuncture, Alexandra technique. There is also summat called cranial osteopathy, which Jon Snow had for depression...and it sorted it. I have heard other good things about it too.

Good call. When my son was a baby he would not sleep soundly at night. It was awful. We tried many methods recomended by GP`s etc.

It was putting a huge strain on our marriage. He would wake up constantly throughout every night and scream and scream. We were torn with guilt over what we were possibly doing wrong, we obviously suffered sleep deprivation and above all it would break our heart to see him suffering at night.

He was fine during the day.

We were recomended to see a Cranial Osteopath and when I did some research I thought it was another waste of time but we had exhausted all methods.

She examined him, then aged two and a half for about 30 minutes and asked us to count how many times he woke that night and then return next day.

We did and said last night was bad and we counted 23 times full wake up with screaming.

She asked about the birth, which was difficult and explained that his back needed to be stretched every day by hanging him upside down by the ankles and swinging him gently to relieve pressure and strecth the muscles.She showed us further techniques.

He absolutely loved the new games.

That night he woke just the once and we continued this for 3 months and he was cured.

It would be strong to say she saved our marriage but for what she done for my child, I think she is a true hero.

I will always love that woman ^_^ and we totally believe in Cranial Osteopathy.

Rich doctor recommends you buy overpriced toxic drugs off his rich mates in the pharma business.

Nothing to see here, move along please.

How much does citalopram cost?

Who makes them?

Was prescribed them back in Feb or March, (cital something or other). Was given enough for a month at first. Got as far as getting them from the chemist and taking them home. Then I read the leaflet inside the box, and couldn't bring myself to take them. Kept them at home for a couple of weeks, and then took them back to the chemist to hand them back.

I'm sure they would have been fine if I had not read the leaflet, and just taken them, but I'm probably just paranoid about such things. Currently trying another route, which doesn't involve taking medicine.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:lol: only for 30 seconds, not all night....... LP please don`t tell me you edit for the TV industry :P

Guest AuntJess
How much does citalopram cost?

Who makes them?

Can't remember who makes them, but I have been against drug therapy for psychological conditions for 30 years, as a fair few of the people I have treated, have been suffering from the effects of the drugs they took, which were worse than the illness.

It is hard from me to talk down drugs on a forum, as someone may be in a really bad way and be the 1 in a 1000 who DOES need a drug, but for the main part, I would not take drugs except AS A LAST RESORT.

IF I did take a drug I'd have a well-tried one. I was telling people NOT to take Seroxat before it got into the Horizon type progs. on TV.I also know someone whose son committed suicide after taking this type of drug, so do take care.

Remember, A GP has had VERY little training/education about the mind/brain. That s/he should be able to dish out mind-altering drugs, is a bit of a scandal. They always parrot the same Bullsh at you and tell you that you are suffering from a brain chemical imbalance.

If he does, ask him why, when you are anaemic and he gives you iron tablets, they have taken a PHYSICAL (blood) test first. As to the neurotransmitters, there are a number of them said to be involved in mood change, dopamine, epinephrine and serotonin, so it is puzzling to know how GPs can dish out drugs, when they really don't have a clear idea as to how or why it might work - or not. :ph34r:

There has always been a 'suck it and see' element to treatment for psychological disorders, this medical science :rolleyes: is not so scientific in THIS area, as can be seen from the many horror stories from drug therapy and ECT.

If you are depressed for eg. try taking summat herbal like St. John's Wort. The NHS pay billions to the pharmaceuticals each year and I feel that GPs have a VI in prescribing them, as it is the only thing that they can do that other health professionals cannot.

NB the tax payer pays the pharmaceutical corporations a fortune, to give us drugs which are not ALWAYS necessary. In the short term it is cheaper than using some sort of therapist - but in the long run - not. But when have govts EVER looked into the long term consequences of what they do?

Guest AuntJess
Rich doctor recommends you buy overpriced toxic drugs off his rich mates in the pharma business.

Nothing to see here, move along please.

+1

In a nutshell. ^_^

Guest anorthosite
+1

In a nutshell. ^_^

Well, apart from the fact that he says that about everything, from HIV to swine flu, I have seen someone's life turned around by anti-depressants. And in a good way as well ;)

Well, apart from the fact that he says that about everything, from HIV to swine flu, I have seen someone's life turned around by anti-depressants. And in a good way as well ;)

+1

In a capsule.....

No direct experience, but a near-as-damnit relative had a very bad experience with Seroxat, especially when it came to coming off it.