House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Barbarian

Guest skullingtonjoe

Does anyone remeber

on the Amiga?

How about

?

Golden age!

Guest anorthosite
Does anyone remeber
on the Amiga?

I remember it caused a bit of an uproar with the violence, not to mention the cover:

Barbarian_-_The_Ultimate_Warrior_Coverart.png

Blimey, is that Wolf from the Gladiators?

I remember it caused a bit of an uproar with the violence, not to mention the cover:

Barbarian_-_The_Ultimate_Warrior_Coverart.png

Blimey, is that Wolf from the Gladiators?

That's him for sure.

I seem to remember the old 3600 lopping off of the head finishing move. Nasty.

barbarian_2.jpg

There is an online version here:

http://www.gameshot.org/?id=1627

Guest redwine
Does anyone remeber
on the Amiga?

How about

?

Golden age!

never had an amiga and i have never heard of "barbarian" the amiga didnt last long

the best ever and still going strong "gamingmachine" not computer is ?

britains own lara croft "tomb raider" came out on ps1 and still going strong today

Golden age!

Not really, they were great at the time but when you go back to them they seem really dated. Yes they were simple and brilliant back then but we didn't have the sort of game which set up an almost infinite world to explore.

4 moves, little to no opponent AI doesn't make for much game play at the end of the day. Especially after 10 minutes of Barbarian which the turned into a game of how often you could chop the blokes head off.

Dude, when we were stoned students, F19/F117A Stealth Fighter and Sneech were favourites.

Fat Agnus, Guru Meditation. Real multitasking. The Amiga rocks.

I've seen a vid of an Amiga hooked up to a modem and surfing the modern net.

There's no alternatives now. Mac and PC are all more or less Intel chip configurations with variable hardware vendors.

The diversity is gone and PC wasn't even the better system. Betamax vs VHS situation.

WinUAE is quite good though for reliving the days of the Amiga.

TFH

Oh, I know it's horribly retro, but nothing will ever top Elite (C64 version in my case) in my mind as real mind-blower. I adored that as a kid. Brilliant game. There's very little that I've played since that's had quite such an impact.

Just a word on consoles...

Sit on 'em and wiggle, without lube.

The combination of awkward and inaccurate controllers with insufficient inputs, and the ability to render some serious pretty shit, has left us with a stunningly bolleaux games industry. It seems that for all the millions pumped into modern games, the result of that "let's do something really cool!" design meeting ends up a load of very flashy looking gubbins, yet more pointless "physics"* tricks, all wrapped up in the usual "you are quite weak thing who, by fighting loads of baddies over the next few evenings, will become a more powerful thing, although it doesn't matter because the stuff you're fighting gets more powerful so you may as well stay the same, plus some plot scenes that sometimes the nicer developers allow you to skip".

I'd rant about modern PC games, but that would only end up as some kind diatribe aimed at developers who take an interesting, highly social concept and turn it into an exercise in man-managing unemployed Swedes.

Grrr.

* If I wanted to spend £40 smashing bloody plant pots, I'd buy £40 worth of bloody plant pots and smash them! Miles more fun!

Oh, I know it's horribly retro, but nothing will ever top Elite (C64 version in my case) in my mind as real mind-blower. I adored that as a kid. Brilliant game. There's very little that I've played since that's had quite such an impact.

The combination of awkward and inaccurate controllers with insufficient inputs, and the ability to render some serious pretty shit, has left us with a stunningly bolleaux games industry. It seems that for all the millions pumped into modern games, the result of that "let's do something really cool!" design meeting ends up a load of very flashy looking gubbins, yet more pointless "physics"* tricks, all wrapped up in the usual "you are quite weak thing who, by fighting loads of baddies over the next few evenings, will become a more powerful thing, although it doesn't matter because the stuff you're fighting gets more powerful so you may as well stay the same, plus some plot scenes that sometimes the nicer developers allow you to skip".

I'd rant about modern PC games, but that would only end up as some kind diatribe aimed at developers who take an interesting, highly social concept and turn it into an exercise in man-managing unemployed Swedes.

Grrr.

* If I wanted to spend £40 smashing bloody plant pots, I'd buy £40 worth of bloody plant pots and smash them! Miles more fun!

I remember playing elite on the BBC Micro. Along with Geoff Cramonds Revs. Both brilliant and way ahead of their time. Racing against Roland Slide, Hugh Jengine, willy swerve and billy bumber round silverstone, or trading agricultural products in the industrial solar systems and buying mining lasers and an ECM.

I also had revs plus on the C64.

Other favourites include dungeon master, formula one GP (Crammond again) and damocles.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Grrr.

Oh yes - Elite! Absolute corker (BBC version was the best!) It had a pretty good game sitting behind the cool graphics too! Too much reliance on graphics today without the game behind it. Having said that, I do enjoy Total War: Empire multiplayer (land). ;)

Along with Geoff Cramonds Revs. Both brilliant and way ahead of their time. Racing against Roland Slide, Hugh Jengine, willy swerve and billy bumber round silverstone

Revs! Brilliant fun, even played on the keyboard. Very advanced for it's time, if I remember right.

Having said that, I do enjoy Total War: Empire multiplayer (land). ;)

Yes, must agree, the Total War series have been pretty good, although they're dragging it out a bit now. That said, at least it hasn't gone horribly downhill in the Civilisation did - right first time, with every new version making it noticeably worse.

Thinking about other gaming stuff...

I was lucky enough to be at Uni around the time Doom was first making it's appearance on the net (anyone remember iFrag?), and had access to a damn quick connection via JANET. The experience of playing against other (usually equally drunk...) students around Europe was just mindblowing at the time, and the small community - probably no more than regular 50 players in Europe - made it all the better.