House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Eon-rwe Have Land Needed For Uk Nuclear Plans-eon

EON-RWE have land needed for UK nuclear plans-EON

LONDON, June 10 (Reuters) - German utilities EON and RWE (Xetra: 703712 - news) have bought all the land they need to build the 6 gigawatts of nuclear power plants they plan for Britain, the head of EON UK said on Wednesday.

EDF Energy invited expressions of interest in buying land which could be used to build new nuclear power plants near its Dungeness nuclear power plant in Kent, south England, or Heysham power station in Lancashire, northwest England.

But the EON-RWE joint venture seems unlikely to bid after buying land at auction at Wylfa in Wales and Oldbury in south west England in late April.

'We have set targets for ourselves of up to six gigawatts and we have te sites that will deliver us that capacity,' Golby told reporters on the sidelines of a nuclear energy conference in London.

'We are happy with where we are,' he added.

The British government wants a variety of private companies to build enough new plants to replace old state-built reactors and Europe's biggest utilities are lining up to do it.

The world's largest nuclear power generator EDF (Paris: FR0010242511 - news) said in May it would only consider bids from operators of existing nuclear power plants.

The things that bothers me is the fact that the UK is not investing in it's own energy future.

We will forever be at the mercy of the French and Germans for our leccy. What about a decade from now when they decide to switch off the taps when we can no longer keep up with the bill?

Stupid Labour government, and even more stupid British citizenry.

Shame.

If the French and Germans built the stations it's not like they can take them away.

There will be a great deal of jobs for Uk residents to build and maintain these plants

Yes it is a shame that UK doesn't invest in one of the most important infrastrutures but at least someone else is.

The real problem is before all the new coal and Nukes go on line the old units will have run their hours under the Large Plant Combustion Directive and we will have brown/black outs somewhere between 2011 and 2017.

In real terms this means we will probably be buying leccy direct from the french through the HVDC interconnector under the channel. I am not sure if this cost is regulated.

The price of power in the world is only likely to go up with carbon capture or green energy and the amount of grid ifrastrure work that is required over the next 10-15 years

The things that bothers me is the fact that the UK is not investing in it's own energy future.

Shame.

Brown's legacy is despair and debt for future generations. The history books will tell it right. Well maybe those not written by the BBC anyway.

;)

Speak for yourself.

Just this morning in the post I received (as a shareholder) my annual report in Ventus VCT, which is investing in lots of renewable energy projects. It's one of a number of investments I have in our energy capacity.

But point taken: why can't I invest in nuclear power in the UK other than as a minor activity in a company like Centrica producing mostly dirty power?

I digress...

1 dimensional thinking needs a 2 dimensional graphic me thinks...

The UK gets much of its gas from the north sea. Some of it is home produced, a lot is or will be piped in from Norway using the existing pipeline and some comes from continental Europe. We ceased to be a net exporter in about 2006.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/POSTpn230.pdf