House Price Crash Forum

Best Place To Live For Canary Wharfers!

TheWolf

HOLA441

For about a year I have absolutely thought everything about the best place (2 bed flat) to buy a place having considered that I work in Canary Wharf. My budget is around 300k.

3 factors I take into account (in order of importance):

1) Convenience

2) Affordability

3) Area (safety etc)

Options

1) Canary Whart - Docklands

Very convenient and affordable. But seems oversupplied, and not particularly 'nice' area.

2) Other areas on Jubilee Line

Bermondsey, Southwark...West Hampstead, again not particularly nice areas to liev.

3) Central London

Areas like Holborn/Russell square pretty nice and reasonably close to Canary Wharf through DLR.

4) Southwest

Chelsea/kensington most definitely beyond reach, but might be able to stretch for Fulham. But poor transport links,

What does everyone think?

HOLA442

For £300k, you probably won't be able to get a decent 2-bed flat in central London, and definitely not within anywhere near SW7 (although Putney and towards Shepherd's Bush).

If you work in Canary Wharf chances are you are working long hours on the job, and possibly weekends. There are some really nice places around there, brand new apartments for example in South Quay, that you should be able to get £300k for. The whole docklands area is a bit quiet and lacking in any sort of life, but certain areas (like South Quay) are relatively safe and close to canary wharf for transport and shopping.

Otherwise have you considered Cutty Sark / Greenwich area? That place has undergone some regeneration, especially by the river right outside Cutty Sark. Plus its convenient to work (DLR), you have a massive park nearby, and lots of higher-end shops there.

HOLA443
For £300k, you probably won't be able to get a decent 2-bed flat in central London, and definitely not within anywhere near SW7 (although Putney and towards Shepherd's Bush).

If you work in Canary Wharf chances are you are working long hours on the job, and possibly weekends. There are some really nice places around there, brand new apartments for example in South Quay, that you should be able to get £300k for. The whole docklands area is a bit quiet and lacking in any sort of life, but certain areas (like South Quay) are relatively safe and close to canary wharf for transport and shopping.

Otherwise have you considered Cutty Sark / Greenwich area? That place has undergone some regeneration, especially by the river right outside Cutty Sark. Plus its convenient to work (DLR), you have a massive park nearby, and lots of higher-end shops there.

South quay area would be very good. But I am concerned about how easy it is to sell it when I want to 'upgrade' my home in a few years. When I look at the market, there are absolutely huge amounts of homogenous flats.

HOLA444

St John's Wood, when I lived there, was chock full of Wharfers (foreign ones mainly by the sound of them - lots of Americans because of the school) and is nice but v v expensive although as those foreign wharfers start drifting home I am sure that rents will come down.

Edit to add I would hang fire and rent for a while yet; prices won't go up and may come down a lot in areas popular with city types.

Edited by bagsos

HOLA445
For about a year I have absolutely thought everything about the best place (2 bed flat) to buy a place having considered that I work in Canary Wharf. My budget is around 300k.

3 factors I take into account (in order of importance):

1) Convenience

2) Affordability

3) Area (safety etc)

Options

1) Canary Whart - Docklands

Very convenient and affordable. But seems oversupplied, and not particularly 'nice' area.

Bermondsey, Southwark...West Hampstead, again not particularly nice areas to liev.

3) Central London

Areas like Holborn/Russell square pretty nice and reasonably close to Canary Wharf through DLR.

4) Southwest

Chelsea/kensington most definitely beyond reach, but might be able to stretch for Fulham. But poor transport links,

What does everyone think?

What about Wapping/St Katherine Dock? Close to Central London and is probably the nicest area in East London (although that's not saying much!).

HOLA446
What about Wapping/St Katherine Dock? Close to Central London and is probably the nicest area in East London (although that's not saying much!).

Wapping is quite a bit dodgier comparing to South Quay and Westferry. It feels incredibly run down, and the canals seem to be perfect for murder scenes rather than providing a pleasant surrounding.

What are the general opinions about the huge block of flats in sky rise buildings? I like it because of the security and convenience. But do they hold their price?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

How would you be financing? 'Cos many lenders expect very high deposits on new builds.

FWIW, I like the Isle of Dogs. Kind of quiet and protected. Not pretty, but has the river. Not commuting is a huge luxury though. How;s your trip to work been the last couple of days?

I think the best flats are the ones that were built when the area was still very edgy. The developers had to do something a bit 'special' to attract people to the area. The newest flats, the developers just threw up a load of bland shoe boxes, and reckn people will be beating down their doors to buy them.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Bow - lots of nice period houses; DLR makes it accessible. Prices are nearly down to early 2007 levels...

Bermondsey/Borough. Borough is nice. Depends though on where you think Bermondsey is. If you think it's near the tube station of that name, it's not... grotty area that. With loads of new builds (St James's) that are going to tank, big time.

HOLA4412
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413

West Hampstead - not very nice to live in? Have you been there of late? Your main issue will be price in that area - the values are still pretty high.

HOLA4414
West Hampstead - not very nice to live in? Have you been there of late? Your main issue will be price in that area - the values are still pretty high.

Oh I was not sure. I have only heard that people have described West Hampstead similar to the difference of South Kensinton and West Kensington.

HOLA4415
Oh I was not sure. I have only heard that people have described West Hampstead similar to the difference of South Kensinton and West Kensington.

It's not as nice as Hampstead, but it's way better than Finchley Road or Kilburn - lots of little cafes, good restaurants, cocktail bars etc. If I were to compare it to another area I'd say it's like a slightly quieter, more independent (i.e. less chains) version of Angel.

Several of the roads e.g. Crediton Hill, Honeybourne Road, parts of Lymington Road are all conservation areas. What you need to watch out for are the properties lambled as "West Hampstead" but actually they're Kilburn or worse again... Cricklewood.

Heading south from WH (down West End lane) you're into Abbey Road/St John's Wood - it's slightly less upmarket here, but even the ex-local authority stuff is still well kept.

Disclaimer: Lived in/around West Hamstead for 2 years and adored it. Have never even seen a policy yellow notice board!

Shame I can't afford to buy there...

HOLA4416
It's not as nice as Hampstead, but it's way better than Finchley Road or Kilburn - lots of little cafes, good restaurants, cocktail bars etc. If I were to compare it to another area I'd say it's like a slightly quieter, more independent (i.e. less chains) version of Angel.

Several of the roads e.g. Crediton Hill, Honeybourne Road, parts of Lymington Road are all conservation areas. What you need to watch out for are the properties lambled as "West Hampstead" but actually they're Kilburn or worse again... Cricklewood.

Heading south from WH (down West End lane) you're into Abbey Road/St John's Wood - it's slightly less upmarket here, but even the ex-local authority stuff is still well kept.

Disclaimer: Lived in/around West Hamstead for 2 years and adored it. Have never even seen a policy yellow notice board!

Shame I can't afford to buy there...

Very interesting. I'll go there this weekend to have a look. Thanks!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The best area I lived in was Lewisham Hill. The house was on top of the hill with views across Blackheath (the actual heath, not the nearby 'village' with the same name on the East side). For the DLR I walked to Lewisham DLR in two minutes. For nights out I went to Blackheath village. For shopping and weekends I walked to Greenwich.

Lewisham is a big borough, and the town centre is to be avoided, but just outside the town centre is the wealthiest parts. Look at the Police stats and if you make clear the distinction between Lewisham Borough and Lewisham Town, you can see that the Western side of Blackheath next to the DLR is relatively safe for zone 2.

Be careful you don't cross in to Deptford or the area around Brookmill as they're rough. Like most of London it varies road by road. Blackheath village is too far from the DLR if you're as lazy as me. You could be in Canary Wharf in 20 minutes from your house.

For £300k you will get a 3 bed semi with a garden.

Edited by jethrotull

HOLA4419
The best area I lived in was Lewisham Hill. The house was on top of the hill with views across Blackheath (the actual heath, not the nearby 'village' with the same name on the East side). For the DLR I walked to Lewisham DLR in two minutes. For nights out I went to Blackheath village. For shopping and weekends I walked to Greenwich.

Lewisham is a big borough, and the town centre is to be avoided, but just outside the town centre is the wealthiest parts. Look at the Police stats and if you make clear the distinction between Lewisham Borough and Lewisham Town, you can see that the Western side of Blackheath next to the DLR is relatively safe for zone 2.

Be careful you don't cross in to Deptford or the area around Brookmill as they're rough. Like most of London it varies road by road. Blackheath village is too far from the DLR if you're as lazy as me. You could be in Canary Wharf in 20 minutes from your house.

For �300k you will get a 3 bed semi with a garden.

Too far away from central london unfortunately...

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420
Too far away from central london unfortunately...

The fast train from Lewisham is just 9 minutes.

Whether by road, train, or as the crow flies it is much quicker to get to London than Canary Wharf so in what way is it "too far"? What is your yardstick?