House Price Crash Forum

Ftse Climbing Back Out Of The Hole

HOLA441

We doubtedly could do with some TA, but my raging amateur analysis is the same as others:

1. FTSE struggles to break 4500 properly, despite trying about three times since May.

2. It failed again today

3. It hasn't come close to challenging 4600 of January

4. It is clearly the last grasp for a major push down - there is no substantive economic news coming through that indicates a push up. In fact, the main thing of the last few days has been companies going to the wall and people being laid off.

If I had money to risk (which I don't, sadly) I'd put at 4500, nevermind 4600.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
:D

c'mon Noel, give us some charts'n'stuff.

ps - I don't think he does 'humour'

Oh dear, I do hope he will not be offended by my miserable attempt at the genre, then!

totally unrelated edit - I always thought it was tenderhooks you know, until watching QI one night. Tenterhook's

I think that with the adoption of regional accents on BBC and other broadcasting media it has become more difficult to discern the subtle difference that can sometimes occur between a "t" and a "d" so that mishearing "tenterhooks" for "tenderhooks" is entirely excusable.

That's an aside, btw, not an invitation......oh lawks...!

HOLA443
Guest Winnie

FTSE is hanging in there even though the DOW at peak pre-market had a futures of +115, opened up 70 and now slumped back to 14.........

FTSE has reluctantly re-traced a little to 66 though it was 100+ at peak. FTSE is basically a commodities index in all but name and this commodities nonsense is exactly the sort of think governments will intervene over. They absolutely cannot afford an oil and inflation spike at such a delicate stage of the economic proceedings.

BTW - Noel may even BE a computer model. (said in dalek voice:"and they do not have sense of humour...affirmative...affirmative!)

HOLA444
I think that with the adoption of regional accents on BBC and other broadcasting media it has become more difficult to discern the subtle difference that can sometimes occur between a "t" and a "d" so that mishearing "tenterhooks" for "tenderhooks" is entirely excusable.

That's an aside, btw, not an invitation......oh lawks...!

in true Stephen Fry style.... :D

edited - right, back to the serious stuff. FTSE @ 1500 before 2010.

Edited by grumpy-old-man-returns

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
in true Stephen Fry style.... :D

edited - right, back to the serious stuff. FTSE @ 1500 before 2010.

I don't know.

Have you ever blown up balloons for a kids' party?

You blow up a balloon and get over ambitious and the darn thing bursts.

Then you get a little more circumspect and start to blow up all balloons to roughly the same size as one that didn't burst.

And then you start blowing a balloon that seems to want to defy history and reason, and you want to blow and blow and blow and it gets bigger and bigger and bigger and probably some accident of skin-thickness in the manufacturing process allows that balloon to double in size from all that went before. So you keep blowing and blowing and blowing.....just to test the breaking point....

I think that's where the stock market is currently at.....

But I wouldn't bet on it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
I don't know.

Have you ever blown up balloons for a kids' party?

You blow up a balloon and get over ambitious and the darn thing bursts.

Then you get a little more circumspect and start to blow up all balloons to roughly the same size as one that didn't burst.

And then you start blowing a balloon that seems to want to defy history and reason, and you want to blow and blow and blow and it gets bigger and bigger and bigger and probably some accident of skin-thickness in the manufacturing process allows that balloon to double in size from all that went before. So you keep blowing and blowing and blowing.....just to test the breaking point....

I think that's where the stock market is currently at.....

But I wouldn't bet on it.

:lol::lol:

you're on form today methinkshe.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
;)

you tempted to get some now ?

Well i own some future production through a few miners :blink: I bought heavily at the bottom mainly Asia and must admit i find the 50%+ rise too fast for comfort.As mentioned the FTSE seems like it doesnt like 4500 at all.In my experience this is when investing gets really hard.All i can come up with is running a 15% stop.If governments hadnt printed so much id think we were way too high.However there is a lot of inflation somewhere.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Do you have any evidence to back that up? For example how much was paid back in mortgages, credit cards, personal loans etc vs. how much was borrowed over the last 12 months?

Don't get me wrong I'm not accusing you of telling porkies. I'm actually genuinely interested in the figures.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article11247.html

Some good graphs here.

uk-tax-payer-liabilities.gif

uk-debt-pcent.gif

uk-budget-deficit-forecast-2009.gif

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417