House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patfig

Food Sell By Dates To Be Binned

It's sell by dates, not use by dates that are going. It makes sense as people throw away food between the two dates; hence reducing wastage.

It's sell by dates, not use by dates that are going. It makes sense as people throw away food between the two dates; hence reducing wastage.

The dont usually have both dates on do they?

Edited by Patfig

It would be better to let the retailer decide, otherwise the sellers will not know when to get rid of produce or reduce it.

I'd much rather demand labeling for all hydrogenated fats and trans fats otherwise I have to keep avoiding anything that says vegetable oil on its ingredients list.

I just re read it and it seems to be more

Guest anorthosite

What ever happened to the sniff test? Can't remember the last time I checked a date.

No, they have one of the three. "Best before" and "sell by" aren't safety related though and are basically just stock control systems. You only need a "use by" date.

It's only fresh food, and they should have both dates. That's why the sell-by and display-until dates are really only for the supermarket themselves.

However, I never look at the dates anyway! I'm a bit of a nightmare when it comes to food shopping.

What ever happened to the sniff test? Can't remember the last time I checked a date.

More to the point, do your dates mind you checking?!!!

Guest anorthosite
More to the point, do your dates mind you checking?!!!

Anthea didn't, but then I could smell it without going in close for a sniff.

are they taking it off fresh food and whacking the labels on shoeboxes and btl 'dreams' - Best Before July 07.

Quote from link:

Best-before and sell-by dates "muddy the waters" and products should only have use-before dates to clarify the system, a Food Standards Agency spokeswoman said.

The FSA said best-before and use-by dates were still required under European law but it wanted to clarify the food labelling system for consumers.

I don't agree with removing "best before" dates. I bet the big supermarkets are behind this move. They want to be able to leave non-perishable foods on the shelves at full price indefinitely. This is not for the benefit of consumers, as currently short-dated stock is auctioned off and ends up in Home and Bargain et al for poor people and pensioners (and me) to buy at more reasonable price. This proposal would stop this.

Quote from link:

Best-before and sell-by dates "muddy the waters" and products should only have use-before dates to clarify the system, a Food Standards Agency spokeswoman said.

The FSA said best-before and use-by dates were still required under European law but it wanted to clarify the food labelling system for consumers.

I don't agree with removing "best before" dates. I bet the big supermarkets are behind this move. They want to be able to leave non-perishable foods on the shelves at full price indefinitely. This is not for the benefit of consumers, as currently short-dated stock is auctioned off and ends up in Home and Bargain et al for poor people and pensioners (and me) to buy at more reasonable price. This proposal would stop this.

Yup and many folks like my old mum might miss out on a few cheaper bargains.

Right of to buy some Tesco shares.

Quote from link:

Depends what the manufacturers want as well though. They may not want their product sitting on a shelf until it's way past it's best so may keep the sell by date.

Guest anorthosite
TIT!

Smell through tins and cartons can you?

I can once I've opened them.

Depends what the manufacturers want as well though. They may not want their product sitting on a shelf until it's way past it's best so may keep the sell by date.

Possibly, but the big supermarkets are all-powerful as we know. There could be a compromise, stop the "Best Before" date being so explicit to the consumer -put it on in some form of code known only to the producers. That way if a customer brings a claim against the supermarket the producer is protected. But it will still stop food being sold off cheap to the chavs, that is what they want to stop.

Edited by kzb