House Price Crash Forum

Nhs 'faces Huge Budget Shortfall'

HOLA441
Cut all the parasites working as pen pushers in the NHS and they will have plenty of money.

Nurses and those doctors that turn up more than a few hours a week need to point the finger themselves because all we get to hear is what the pen pushers are saying.

get em out.

Capita >

Example charge the NHS Trusts well over £200+ just to replace a plug socket!

At those prices, 'TRUST's can afford to hire XX No's of electricians FULL TIME, 24/7 - they will also become familiar with the Hospital electronics and do far better job in house.

I'm doing an "Eric" on this one >

There is a HUGE financial rip-off of the NHS/School system going on by Covert Cronyism

- I just know it!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

this is so true.

British whingebags should stop and think about the alternatives to National Health. I am in my 40s and pay about $8000 per year for a USA health plan full of exclusions. Whigebags, tell us what you pay!(BTW in the UK NI contributions of 11% of salary (employee) pays for more than just health care, it includes state pension and other benefits). As I get older the premiums increase - one 60 year old colleague pays $30,000 pa for himself and his wife who has had prior illnesses. Whingebags take note. There is no means testing for insurance and many - me included - get caught by exclusions. I continue to pay NI contributions for the sole reason I know it could be financially disasterous to retire in the USA. If you are not protected by a Corporate health plan you could literally be bankrupted by health costs. Sicko was attacked relentlessly by the US media and Moore was vilified for telling the truth ..... US health care is as corrupt and as bad as US banking. Of course, if you work for a corporation then you will repeatedly tell everyone its the best in the world. I know two british nurses here who say otherwise and that the standards are sh it with minorities thicker than ironwood making horrendous mistakes yet immune because of the color of their skin. This is one wierd place.

How very true. I am way behind the times with post dvd rentals, have about 74 to view backing up at cinemaparidisso.

I just got the 2007 Micheal Moor film "Sicko" this week and watched it twice yesterday. I was appalled at the US healthcare system. Even those with healthcare run a lottery with the HMO always seeking ways to deny payment to boost profits for CEO's and shareholders.

Can you imagine being middle class all your life, being prudent, paying up the mortgage and credit card bills, raising a family and doing it all proper, then to get something like Cancer and having your health insurance cancel the policy you have been paying for 20 years becasue they find out you have chicken pox as a child and forgot to put it on the form.

Shit like this happens in the US and it seems their medical costs are horrendous. You will be bankrupt in a few years after working all your life to have a nice retirement.

Sod that. I dont miss the 11% I pay in NI over my working life and feel very lucky to have the NHS even though I haven't used it too much. Did have a MRI once for slipped disc after a months wait.

But..........better to wait and get treated eventually than to never get treated at all because you either have no HI or you HI finds a way to not pay out. The US system frightens me.

M

HOLA443
i saw a related item on the bbc news last night suggesting cutting front line services and the drugs budget.

no mention of looking at cutting the bureaucracy or management overheads which I found the most depressing part

but I suppose you need more management to put all these cost cutting operations into action :(

They don't get any price signals, so no matter how many managers they get it will never be enough.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
We should use a system that does not rely on violent retribution against those who choose not to pay.

Would you apply for an "in the event of an accident leave me in a ditch" exclusion card?

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest มร หล&#3
Would you apply for an "in the event of an accident leave me in a ditch" exclusion card?

Why not? I did.

Fell off the moped thing on Monday morning. Woke up in a ditch.

Left arm still hurts a bit and luckily there were no cobras or green tree snakes about. Bike still works.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Why not? I did.

Fell off the moped thing on Monday morning. Woke up in a ditch.

Left arm still hurts a bit and luckily there were no cobras or green tree snakes about. Bike still works.

You're still young enough to bounce, and can pull a few quid out if needed.

HOLA4410
You're still young enough to bounce, and can pull a few quid out if needed.

I thought if you did indeed crash into a ditch and got pulled and ambulanced to hospital, a bill would follow.....cos its insured.

HOLA4411
Guest มร หล&#3
I thought if you did indeed crash into a ditch and got pulled and ambulanced to hospital, a bill would follow.....cos its insured.

Correct. My fully comp health insurance is 15,000 a year. That's £280. It's BUPA by the way.

HOLA4412

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle6474925.ece

Funding of £500 million for hospital building and refurbishment is being withheld by the Government in the first sign of the severe cuts likely to be forced on the NHS in the recession.

A letter between health chiefs, seen by The Times, suggests that “the Treasury is unlikely to agree further releases of funding†for the building of a new generation of community hospitals, announced to much fanfare three years ago.

The problems facing the project have emerged as Andy Burnham prepares for his first speech as Health Secretary today at the NHS Confederation annual conference. Mr Burnham, a cheerleader for community hospitals as a junior minister, admitted yesterday that the NHS would face a challenge over the next five to ten years. But he sought to allay fears of closures or job cuts after a confederation report warned of a multibillion-pound budget shortfall over the next decade.

There were angry words in the Commons over public spending after the next election. Gordon Brown accused the Tories of planning deep cuts in public services after Andrew Lansley, the Shadow Health Secretary, said that most departments would have to cut budgets by 10 per cent in the three years after 2011 to give real-terms increases to the NHS, schools and foreign aid. David Cameron said the Government’s own plans would result in a 7 per cent cut for some departments.

While Mr Burnham played down fears of a funding crisis, a letter from a strategic health authority revealed that plans were already under way to curb spending.

A total of £750 million was allocated in 2007 for the five-year community hospitals programme, hailed as the centrepiece of the drive to bring NHS services to local communities. The units take on cases that do not require the fully equipped intensive care wards found in larger hospitals. Work carried out includes elective day cases, X-rays and post-operative rehabilitation for procedures such as hip replacements. Only £250 million of funds has been spent to date.

The letter about funding for Ludlow Hospital — sent by Peter Spilsbury, of NHS West Midlands, to Jo Chambers, head of Shropshire County Primary Care Trust — says “the Department of Health is advising SHAs to take forward schemes through alternative funding routes to the community hospitals programmeâ€. It states that Andy Stubbing, a senior official at the Department of Health, has said that “the Treasury is unlikely to agree further releases of funding for this programmeâ€. It concludes that trusts will have to find funding through other means, such as Private Finance Initiatives or “some form of joint venture with another funding bodyâ€.

Pity the NHS isn't a bank it could then have several hundred billion in a matter of days from the govt.