House Price Crash Forum

OMG! This thread is like watching a car crash in slow motion! I bet that next you will be telling us that once old enough, you will encourage your children to walk to school and not be dropped off right by the gates in a giant BMW 4X4...

For Shame!

Will they get picked on for not being obese like all the other kids?

Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer of sturdy wire coat hangers?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a 9 week old in a one bedroom rented. We are moving in the few weeks to a much larger 3 bed with loads of out door space for starting my own business, it is rented. Family and freinds think I am mad and are bleating on about school catchment areas wah blah nah...f*cking lemmings the lot of them. They reluctantly have given me credit for not buying into the ponzi scheme that was the british house market, and said my stubborness has paid off :P . But of course now they think the HPC is all over, after 8-9 months (we are in Scotland at the mo) "I think things are turning".......

We have freinds that recently put off starting a family becuase their rented house had damp in spare room!!!! bejeesus.

is your landlord aware that you are using your home for business? MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EXPLICIT PERMISSION IN YOUR CONTRACT, because you are likely to be sued in later years.

is your landlord aware that you are using your home for business? MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EXPLICIT PERMISSION IN YOUR CONTRACT, because you are likely to be sued in later years.

sued for what? Is there demonstrable loss?

I wouldn't feel guilty, I'd guess the vast majority of UK babies are born to renters. That's because couples of prime child-bearing age who work for a living AND own a mortgage cannot afford children. They both need to work like dogs to pay the mortgage. You need to be on benefits to afford children.

It's such a shame that people perceive wealth on whether one owns a home or not. It makes it much worse when baby talk happens and people look shocked that one could quite happily start a family in rented accomodation.

Unfortunately a lot of the lemmings believe you can't start a family unless you're a home owner, or at least they frown upon it.

I know couples who either:

a. Won't get married until they're settled in a home they've bought.

b. Will get married and will need to buy a house as soon as they can after the marriage in order to feel they have a 'base'.

It's all about timing really, no set way to do anything in life. Unless you're a sheeple follower of course.

Mate of mine was free and happy once, but as soon as he got the big expensive wedding it was - massive mortgage, ostentatious aspirational interior deco, 3 vehicles & now constantly $hitting it about work to pay the bills & debts and to top it all, won't engage in the kind of activities we used to for fear of injury. In the space of 2-3 years he's gone from fun loving to worried wage slave... crying shame imo

I haven't even been able to decorate the nursery in Winnie the Pooh wallpaper :(

I know your post is tongue in cheek but this sort of thing does give you a pang of sadness, you can buy WTP stickarounds trust me s/he will soon be into princesses or Thomas and you can just peel em off and change 'em.

I moved into rented when my 3.9yo was a baby, we sold to move to a lovely little village - (it is a really expensive place to buy so we pay a fraction in rent) and he goes to the little village school where he is thriving.

Trust me, the financial freedom we have is amazing, we have no debt and money in the bank, a large disposable income and a quality of life I could never have dreamed of.

I had a birthday last week and threw a huge party, didnt think of the cost, my Daughter is doing a project in school and it has to be about a place or country, we sat and discussed where we'd all like to go and decided on Hawaii, my Husband and I work for ourselves and dictate our hours so we actually spend time with our kids who we are bringing up with our ideas and values not paying someone else to do it.

No we dont own our house but do you think our kids care?

And think on this, the houses we were looking at in the village were selling at 400k at peak, they are now going under offer (but none actually sold in over 2 years) at 340k

So we have had all of the above and we have also paid 60k off a mortgage in 3 years...

Congrats on your impending arrival, you are going to make a smart and caring parent. Good luck xxx

I wouldn't feel guilty, I'd guess the vast majority of UK babies are born to renters. That's because couples of prime child-bearing age who work for a living AND own a mortgage cannot afford children. They both need to work like dogs to pay the mortgage. You need to be on benefits to afford children.

Leaving aside my shame for the moment, I was shocked to learn that I will still receive working/child tax credits of £50pcm if the family income is below £50k per annum. Average people are all on benefits.

Back on topic...

Should I be ashamed of claiming benefits too? My parents would have been. I'd be surprised if they don't cut me out of the will.

My life is in tatters, all because I didn't buy a house.

Guest An Bearin Bui

Both my parents and parents-in-law were living in rented accommodation when they first got married (1968 and 1969) and started their families. This was of course back when tenancy laws were sane so they didn't have the amateur landlord issue to deal with. Renting was much more common then too as it took a long time to be approved for a mortgage and you had to actually have savings to put down as a deposit (shock! :blink: ).

My parents bought after 1 year renting, once they'd been approved for a mortgage. In-laws were renting from family so not quite in the same position but they managed to buy a cottage for cash and with a grant were able to do it up and sell it on. They kept moving to larger and larger properties from there, renovating as they went, and never had a mortgage.

It's strange to think that mentalities have changed so much in the space of a generation. Even now our parents nag us about buying (although they admit we were right about the HPC). The ownership mentality has become such a total obssession in only one generation. Renting was the norm until very recently by historic standards. We're planning to start a family soon and I really am conflicted about renting while doing so. As you say, there is a social stigma now but mainly the issue is that you have no stability or security. What if the boiler blows or wiring is dangerous? You're reliant on some shyster letting agent to get up off their fat 7rse and arrange for it to be repaired. I hate the fact that people are now between a rock and a hard place: pile up on debt to a ridiculous level OR rent from a scumbag at your own risk. :angry:

Good man

Flash car, flat screen TV, foreign holiday each year, leveraged-up-to-the-eyeballs mortgage on that semi you just had to have.....

It all turns to dust...in the end.

Why worry about all that fancy stuff - the new kitchen, car etc.... in the end..........

It's all for burning :blink:

My youngest was born in rented just over a year ago. Finacially we are way better off but apart from that I would much rather bring my children in my own home. Problem we had is you either had a choice of paying £1500-£2000 a month for a really well done up house which you new you had no chance of getting the deposit back once the kids and ruined the carpet and destroyed the walls or going for an ordinary place where the owner would not notice or be bothered. We went for the second and whilst it was ok our youngest 2 were always ill for the year we lived there I assume due to the fact that the place was not in the greatest condition.

We are now in a place which is owned by my parents which is in excellent condition, rent is dirt cheap, we can drill stair gates where we want decorate as we want and the rent is dirt cheap so the best of both worlds.

Another problem is as kids grow older they do not like constant moving my eldest hates the fact he has moved 3 times in the last few years as everytime he makes new friends we move.

Leaving aside my shame for the moment, I was shocked to learn that I will still receive working/child tax credits of £50pcm if the family income is below £50k per annum. Average people are all on benefits.

Back on topic...

Should I be ashamed of claiming benefits too? My parents would have been. I'd be surprised if they don't cut me out of the will.

My life is in tatters, all because I didn't buy a house.

Apparently, your depravity knows no lower bounds. Still, no loss getting cut out of the will as they will probably have to sell their house to pay for nursing care and medical bills (or food/gruel/ 2 lumps of coal) in their dotage.

Anyhow, Miss D'oh and I are moving back to Australia so we can sponge off my parents (i.e. living in the granny flat underneath their house) whilst not contributing income to the rental foundations of the BTL ponzi pyramid that is known as the UK economy. We were doing some calculations last night, and I was shocked to realise that we will have more usable space in the Australian granny flat, than in our currently rented 4 bedroom house in the UK. The kitchen in the granny flat is 20% larger than the largest room in our current 4 bedroom £1150 pcm slavebox. The flat's box room is larger than the master bedroom in our current dwellings.

RENTING WITH BABIES / KIDS . . . in my experience

PROS

House prices falling so can get a bigger, better place if you rent and wait.

Can move to nicer rental property with better schools nearby whenever you like.

Don't have to waste time decorating or being house proud so can spend time on more interesting pursuits.

Kids vomit, poo, wee on carpet and draw on walls.

CONS

Noisy neighbours, particularly in flats with people above or below you. If you have a family it's probably best to buy a family house in a residential area with no freaks living upstairs or down.

Thanks to section 21, Landlord can chuck you out with little notice whenever they like, leaving you v little time to look around for a new rental property. Unbelievably stressful if exhausted by sleepless nights with a teething toddler. Your life tends to revolve around a small, walkable area around your home (parka, shops, nursery, school, friends). Once the kid becomes attached to these it can be horrible having to wrench them away from it. The carer (usually mum) grows to rely on these support systems, too.

No point wasting time and money decorating or making the rented place functional in long term. So making rooms really work for you (essential for remaining sane with kids around) like putting up proper shelving, storage, buying a comfy family sofa to collapse onto once they've gone to bed (one of the few luxuries you have as a parent), expensive blinds / curtains - basically whatever it is that makes your life better with kids, has to wait. So you end up staring round rooms thinking, 'If only we had a decent wardrobe . . .' or 'I'd love a decent comfy, big ticket sofa', but you just don't know what kind of place you'll end up buying one day and what sizes your furniture will have to be.

Pros outweigh cons though . . . for us anyway.

G'luck!

I got sucked into the...baby on the way ...got to own a house....phenomenon too. I cunningly did it in late 2007 too! 20 months later we have just sold, crystalising a whopping loss and will go into rented. THe thing that makes it all bearable though is that I now realise that the most important thing is our family unit. We could live in a shitty rented hovel, but as lond as my gorgeous 10 month old daughter and my wife and I are ok and healthy and together, anything else is irrelevant. A costly lesson to learn but I am a better human being for having learnt it! :rolleyes:

What a fantastic message! So nice to hear that your family mean more to you than any material possession.

I found myself pregnant whilst going through a divorce and having to leave my marital home. I was in such a mess at the time and house prices were just taking off and really didn't know what to do; I thought about a termination, but just couldn't do it as I had wanted a baby for so long, I also thought about staying with my ex (although I hated him as he was a violent bully) but quickly put that thought out of my head. So, I moved into rented accommodation and had my baby 4 months later. My 'baby' is now a beautiful 4 year old girl and I am still living in rented accomodated with my new husband. Although the house is small, I love the garden, its really quiet, the neighbours are fantastic and I got my 1st choice of school for her to start in September. The only downside.. magnolia walls and laminate flooring, but hey, at least they are neutral and don't clash with my furniture!

Every now and then I get the collywobbles about not owning a house at my age (37, DH is 34), as we both work full time and earn decent money, but then think sod it, life is too short. I know we will get there eventually, we are aiming for 2012 when I will be 40.. but until then, I have decided to just get on with my life, like you, and try to be the best parent I can to my daughter.. even if that does mean living in rented for the next 3 years...

Edited by north/south divide
Quite a conundrum.

I suggest you commit yourself a the biggest mortgage you can get and buy the most inappropriate property for a family you can find. Maybe a studio flat above a crackhouse or some such reputable establishment.

Then you will have filled your role as a responsible parent in having your name on the deeds and you can sleep easily at night, if the baby lets you seeing as it'll be sleeping in the kitchen sink as you share the sofa with your "life partner". Wife is so passe. If the crying gets too much, your crying that is, your life partner could always try sleeping in the bath.

You sadist :) As if a new-build flat had a bath long enough to lie down in. (Or even a bath at all!) :)

I know your post is tongue in cheek but this sort of thing does give you a pang of sadness, you can buy WTP stickarounds trust me s/he will soon be into princesses or Thomas and you can just peel em off and change 'em.

Exactly! My daughter has hearts, flowers, butterflies and dragonfies decals all over the walls that can easily be peeled off when we move. She has never asked why here walls are a baby blue colour when she is a girl, and I guess as the stickers make it girly she is happy with it..

Yes. A bad one. You should.

I think you should seriously consider sterilization. The simple fact that you would consider having a child without being in mountains of debt is indicative of the sort of irresponsible anarchist you clearly are. How the heck are we going to create a nation of obedient debt slaves if people like you refuse to sign over their freedom and happiness to one of our fine British banking institutions? What sort of example are you setting for the future debt slave you are about to bring into the world?

I'm going to flag this topic with the webmaster so the appropriate concerned citizens can trace your ip address and have the SS (Social Service) goons sent to lie in wait at your local NHS hospital.

People like you make me sick.

:lol:

+ 1 :)

And, OP, don't forget poor Gordon Brown. our Dear Leader has so many troubles now, and if he read the your story, where you deliberately refuse to borrow despite all Browns' effort and entreaties, it might break him completely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PO5Gh3QGFI

Should I turn the nipper straight over to social services? What kind of parent must I be to contemplate starting a family in rented accomodation? I feel so ashamed.

Stop moaning and get on with live..I'm 50 next year have 2 school kids and never owned a house, because hubby was in the army..we are back since 3 years and never found anything worth buying for 350k.(greater London)

What should I say.. :rolleyes:

If it is sarcastic forget above ;)

I haven't even been able to decorate the nursery in Winnie the Pooh wallpaper :(

Will my child be bullied at school? Will they suffer an inferiority complex because we live in a really nice 250 year old house and not an estate slavebox?

I don't want my child to be disadvantaged by my lack of home ownership...

Really nice house until they decide to boot you out which is what happened to us after 10 years of renting a similar place. Then it does hit home how your destiny is in other peoples hands and once they are of school age you will realise how difficult it can be to plan for their education if you are at the mercy of your land lord and for me that was a real problem. We did decide to buy but bought extremely carefully but it did involve a massive compromise we moved over 60 miles away. Leaving behind established social networks and family especially with children can be hard but I don't regret our decision. I wouldn't under estimate the desire for security when you have a family though and its a real shame renters don't have more protection in this country. I was never ashamed of renting and would rather rent that live in sub standard accommodation any day of the week.

I got sucked into the...baby on the way ...got to own a house....phenomenon too.

Wayyyyyy too much information there !

It's entirely your business how exactly you became involved in relationship matters.

This is a House Prices site, not a Jerry Springer show.

Guest Skinty
Should I turn the nipper straight over to social services? What kind of parent must I be to contemplate starting a family in rented accomodation? I feel so ashamed.

You'll find that the owner occupiers can't afford babies themselves ...

Well for a start without knowing your own personal financial situation remember that home ownership is not a right, its not right for everyone. many figure they can just about pay the mortgage and that its the same as the rent and then find to their shock that builidngs insurance, repairs , replacement white goods, boiler servicing, central heating and plumbing maintenance, painting the exterior every 3/5 years etc etc all needs to be paid for by them.

I suspect legion are the number of people who bought then almost immediately spent more than they could afford on new sofas, wide screen tv's etc, but caught out by the nuts and bolts of home ownership.

Home ownership is not a right, no need to feel ashamed if you don't own one, its not right for everyone and in fact can seriously damage your wealth even in a rising market.... as countless thousands have found out and will continue to find out.