House Price Crash Forum

Should I turn the nipper straight over to social services? What kind of parent must I be to contemplate starting a family in rented accomodation? I feel so ashamed.

I wouldn't worry, half the OO's don't own their own home either, the banks do. :lol:

I wouldn't worry, half the OO's don't own their own home either, the banks do. :lol:

How true. I always laugh when people think renting is for losers, then start moaning about how corrupt the banks are.

I just ask them if they paid cash for the property. (The banks as a landlord, oh dear.) :rolleyes:

Should I turn the nipper straight over to social services? What kind of parent must I be to contemplate starting a family in rented accomodation? I feel so ashamed.

Social services: dont you pay monthly for them too?

I know you were being a bit sarcastic anyway,but society/upbringing has conditioned us to think you might need the "stability" of owning your home when starting a family .The rule book and our way of life in the UK is being turned upside down at the moment .In the ensuing instability,you need max flexibility ,so,actually by renting you are doing the very best for the security of your new arrival . I own a house,bought 15 years ago but would not go near property right now .Good luck with the baby,enjoy it all,all too soon they grow up!!!

Quite a conundrum.

I suggest you commit yourself a the biggest mortgage you can get and buy the most inappropriate property for a family you can find. Maybe a studio flat above a crackhouse or some such reputable establishment.

Then you will have filled your role as a responsible parent in having your name on the deeds and you can sleep easily at night, if the baby lets you seeing as it'll be sleeping in the kitchen sink as you share the sofa with your "life partner". Wife is so passe. If the crying gets too much, your crying that is, your life partner could always try sleeping in the bath.

Edited by daiking

I haven't even been able to decorate the nursery in Winnie the Pooh wallpaper :(

Will my child be bullied at school? Will they suffer an inferiority complex because we live in a really nice 250 year old house and not an estate slavebox?

I don't want my child to be disadvantaged by my lack of home ownership...

Basically you've failed as a man, and a parent, and might aswell end it all now. People need a roof over their head you know!

I haven't even been able to decorate the nursery in Winnie the Pooh wallpaper :(

Will my child be bullied at school? Will they suffer an inferiority complex because we live in a really nice 250 year old house and not an estate slavebox?

We have a 9 week old in a one bedroom rented. We are moving in the few weeks to a much larger 3 bed with loads of out door space for starting my own business, it is rented. Family and freinds think I am mad and are bleating on about school catchment areas wah blah nah...f*cking lemmings the lot of them. They reluctantly have given me credit for not buying into the ponzi scheme that was the british house market, and said my stubborness has paid off :P . But of course now they think the HPC is all over, after 8-9 months (we are in Scotland at the mo) "I think things are turning".......

We have freinds that recently put off starting a family becuase their rented house had damp in spare room!!!! bejeesus.

Guest Steve Cook

Don't be so daft. You've got a baby on the way. Whatever else is true, this should be a cause for unadulterated joy.

Quite a conundrum.

I suggest you commit yourself a the biggest mortgage you can get and buy the most inappropriate property for a family you can find. Maybe a studio flat above a crackhouse or some such reputable establishment.

Then you will have filled your role as a responsible parent in having your name on the deeds and you can sleep easily at night, if the baby lets you seeing as it'll be sleeping in the kitchen sink as you share the sofa with your "life partner". Wife is so passe. If the crying gets too much, your crying that is, your life partner could always try sleeping in the bath.

I've often wondered - is the persons name on the deeds who took out the mortgage? or is it the banks name until the mortgage is paid off..

Don't be so daft. You've got a baby on the way. Whatever else is true, this should be a cause for unadulterated joy.

:lol:

I'm almost certain the OP was being sarcarstic

Heh. A bit exteme methinks. I don't think you have anything to worry about until your child starts school. Then you need to weigh up costs of ownership versus stability of your housing arrangements, quality of local schools etc. Welcome to parenthood and congratulations!

Guest theboltonfury
:lol:

I'm almost certain the OP was being sarcarstic

I've got a kid and I rent. The main difference is he draws on someone elses walls.

It's such a shame that people perceive wealth on whether one owns a home or not. It makes it much worse when baby talk happens and people look shocked that one could quite happily start a family in rented accomodation.

Unfortunately a lot of the lemmings believe you can't start a family unless you're a home owner, or at least they frown upon it.

I know couples who either:

a. Won't get married until they're settled in a home they've bought.

b. Will get married and will need to buy a house as soon as they can after the marriage in order to feel they have a 'base'.

It's all about timing really, no set way to do anything in life. Unless you're a sheeple follower of course.

I've often wondered - is the persons name on the deeds who took out the mortgage? or is it the banks name until the mortgage is paid off..

It's the buyers name on the deeds. The mortgage company has a registered interest in the property which will stop it being sold without them knowing about it.

I bet you don't even owe thousands on your car?? If you hurry though you still have time to spare your child the humiliation of having debt free parents!

Get on the ladder now. You know it makes sense!

We have a 9 week old in a one bedroom rented. We are moving in the few weeks to a much larger 3 bed with loads of out door space for starting my own business, it is rented. Family and freinds think I am mad and are bleating on about school catchment areas wah blah nah...f*cking lemmings the lot of them. They reluctantly have given me credit for not buying into the ponzi scheme that was the british house market, and said my stubborness has paid off :P . But of course now they think the HPC is all over, after 8-9 months (we are in Scotland at the mo) "I think things are turning".......

We have freinds that recently put off starting a family becuase their rented house had damp in spare room!!!! bejeesus.

In exactly the same circumstance with a newborn of the same age, albeit in an inner-London ghetto as opposed to heather strewn moors.

The in-laws are forever banging on about buying somewhere soon as the market is picking-up. Facking morons; I just smile an inward smile and mutter HPC under my breath.

I got sucked into the...baby on the way ...got to own a house....phenomenon too. I cunningly did it in late 2007 too! 20 months later we have just sold, crystalising a whopping loss and will go into rented. THe thing that makes it all bearable though is that I now realise that the most important thing is our family unit. We could live in a shitty rented hovel, but as lond as my gorgeous 10 month old daughter and my wife and I are ok and healthy and together, anything else is irrelevant. A costly lesson to learn but I am a better human being for having learnt it! :rolleyes:

Edited by Hip to be bear

I got sucked into the...baby on the way ...got to own a house....phenomenon too. I cunningly did it in late 2007 too! 20 months later we have just sold, crystalising a whopping loss and will go into rented. THe thing that makes it all bearable though is that I now realise that the most important thing is our family unit. We could live in a shitty rented hovel, but as londg as my gorgeous 10 month old daughter and my wife and I are ok and healthy and together, anything else is irrelevant. A costly lesson to learn but I am a better human being for haven't learnt it! :rolleyes:

Fair play to you; life can often be a costly lesson....

Guest Steve Cook
I got sucked into the...baby on the way ...got to own a house....phenomenon too. I cunningly did it in late 2007 too! 20 months later we have just sold, crystalising a whopping loss and will go into rented. THe thing that makes it all bearable though is that I now realise that the most important thing is our family unit. We could live in a shitty rented hovel, but as londg as my gorgeous 10 month old daughter and my wife and I are ok and healthy and together, anything else is irrelevant. A costly lesson to learn but I am a better human being for haven't learnt it! :rolleyes:

Good man

Flash car, flat screen TV, foreign holiday each year, leveraged-up-to-the-eyeballs mortgage on that semi you just had to have.....

It all turns to dust...in the end.

In the end, the only thing that matters is family.

Edited by Steve Cook

I have a wife two kids new and 2 years old.

I rent

I am not poor by a long shot

Rent = price of buying - 50% where I am

Result my kids are better off with me renting for them.

when rent = Buying +10/20% I will buy.

Buying should be cheaper since you are comitting to one place for a long time even a good profit will be eaten by tax and moving costs if you need to move (remember paid mortgage is not profit margin you paid for it).

What a nonsense thread

Bringing up a kiddie in rented? Are you mad? Everybody knows a babby needs the security of parent who own their own home. A 125% IO mortgage slavebox on 6xsalary is the more responsible thing to do!

Seriously though, congrats. I don't know your sex but if you are a woman, or having a child by one, who hasn't become obsessed with the 'nesting instinct' of property ownership, you're a lot better off than most couples!