House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOP

Little 72 Yr Old Woman Tasered By Police After Speeding

She was refusing to co-operate and was intending to drive off.

As the policeman could not allow her to drive off he had to stop and restrain her. Ten years ago this would have been by grabbing her and forcing her into the handcuffs. As this would have run the risk of breaking her arm I presume the current guidance is to taser or "tase" her as this incapcitates without the risk of bone breakage.

In the event of legal action the officer can show that he was following approved procedure and will not be sanctioned.

That's not to say I like or agree with it, but as the police are now so hamstrung that they can't even give kids a clip round the ear then they have to use what they have got left.

If a 20 year old black man had acted like the old woman, noone would have any objections to him being tasered. She was being awkward and argumentative over something as trivial as a speeding ticket. I see no problem with what the policeman did.

I really hope you are just looking for an argument and don't really mean that.

She was refusing to co-operate and was intending to drive off.

As the policeman could not allow her to drive off he had to stop and restrain her. Ten years ago this would have been by grabbing her and forcing her into the handcuffs. As this would have run the risk of breaking her arm I presume the current guidance is to taser or "tase" her as this incapcitates without the risk of bone breakage.

In the event of legal action the officer can show that he was following approved procedure and will not be sanctioned.

That's not to say I like or agree with it, but as the police are now so hamstrung that they can't even give kids a clip round the ear then they have to use what they have got left.

What is wrong with people here? Are you looking to wind readers up or do you seriously believe it's OK for police to assault members of the public for non-compliance regarding a non-violent crime?

The officer had video evidence so did not need to resolve the situation in the way he did. He could have called for back up if he was unable to control the situation. At any time was the officer fearful for his own safety?

Are you seriously saying that tasering the woman was a safer option for the woman than physically restraining her? Big brave policeman... What if she had fallen as a result of being tasered. 72 year old women tend to be a little brittle.

Go read: http://www.taser.co.uk/

And make sure you do exactly what a policeman tells you to do, or you might be 'enjoying' a taser yourself.

Why? I really have no problem with this. It's a much better way of restraining someone than pushing them about. Just before she was tasered, you can see that she started to turn her back on the policeman and walk away. She was obstructive and abusive towards him. Like I said, noone would bat an eyelid if it was another demographic involved, but because it's someone who doesn't get demonised by the media and society in general, it's an outrage.

The law is the law. She broke the law by speeding, but worse than that, she refused to accept the consequences of what she did. If you don't like the law, change it by legitimate protesting and standing for elections etc rather than just not complying. Freedom has responsibilities, if you want the right to live in a free country you have to accept responsibilities, and this woman was shirking them.

Did you just expect people to keel over and say "what a poor little old woman... what a fat policeman..,"?

It is not the role of the police in any civilised country to also be the judge who decides on punishment. You feel it's a better way to restrain someone - do you actually know what's involved?

Have a look at the voltages involved:

http://www.taser.org/voltage.html

Why don't you volunteer to be a test dummy?

Yes she was not co-operative and broke the law. The law should not need to rely on violence to be upheld. Yes when appropriate but this was clearly not that time. Regardless of demographic (yes people would care if it was a young black man) - violence was not called for in this case.

Free country argument - you are funny. Using that line, police forces should be able to kick your door in and give you a kicking for not having a tv license.

Any police here? What do you think? Would be good to get your thoughts on this case.

What is wrong with people here? Are you looking to wind readers up or do you seriously believe it's OK for police to assault members of the public for non-compliance regarding a non-violent crime?

When tasers first came onto the the scene, the rationale behind them was that it gave police a non-lethal option when handling violent targets. ie it was something that could be used instead of shooting someone - when an officer was under threat from a knive or whatever. Now tasers are used routinely in completely non-threatening situations like this and worse, seemingly administered as a punishment in itself. I find the apologists for this on this board and others at least as disturbing as the practice itself.

The officer had video evidence so did not need to resolve the situation in the way he did. He could have called for back up if he was unable to control the situation. At any time was the officer fearful for his own safety?

Are you seriously saying that tasering the woman was a safer option for the woman than physically restraining her? Big brave policeman... What if she had fallen as a result of being tasered. 72 year old women tend to be a little brittle.

Go read: http://www.taser.co.uk/

And make sure you do exactly what a policeman tells you to do, or you might be 'enjoying' a taser yourself.

I was trying not to widen it too much in my original post but I think the policeman is behaving as he has been taught to behave in the current culture.

Instead of being allowed to use his discretion he has to follow approved procedure as by doing this he will not lose his job or be sued. Within the options available to him is to use his taser and this provides a very quick and easy solution for him.

If the use of tasers is allowed to make a suspect for a non-violent crime co-operate then they will be used.

You really think this was a non-threatening situation? She was abusive and as far as the policeman knew, was armed. The point about walking away, if I wanted to pull for example a gun out of my pocket, I might be tempted to turn to get it.

Put yourself in the situation of that policeman, on his own, facing a woman like this, who could be potentially armed.

What would YOU have done? I know that I probably would have done the same, because that's what I would have been trained to do. If you don't agree with tasers then complain to government. This policeman did nothing wrong, he used it correctly here insofar as his training instructed him. A few years ago in America, he would have used his gun instead. Which would you prefer?

"a woman like this" - yes she was clearly dangerous, shoot the b!tch. All Americans "could be potentially armed". What do you suggest? Make tasering standard procedure?

You would have been trained in conflict resolution - violence is lazy policing at best.

If a 20 year old black man had acted like the old woman, noone would have any objections to him being tasered. She was being awkward and argumentative over something as trivial as a speeding ticket.

+1

I see no problem with what the policeman did.

-

Global levelling strikes again... ;)

an absolute disgrace !!!

tasering someome of that age can cause a heart attack

ott reaction to a simple situation

the polis man is a grade AAA pussy

You really think this was a non-threatening situation? She was abusive and as far as the policeman knew, was armed. The point about walking away, if I wanted to pull for example a gun out of my pocket, I might be tempted to turn to get it.

Put yourself in the situation of that policeman, on his own, facing a woman like this, who could be potentially armed.

What would YOU have done? I know that I probably would have done the same, because that's what I would have been trained to do. If you don't agree with tasers then complain to government. This policeman did nothing wrong, he used it correctly here insofar as his training instructed him. A few years ago in America, he would have used his gun instead. Which would you prefer?

I really think it was a non threatening situation. FFS, she is 72 and about 4' 6". He's some hero that policeman, two and a half brain cells and that's being generous.

What would I have done well I wouldn't have used a f*cking taser on her and I wouldn't have been screaming at her to stand behind the car.

Can't believe some of the comments here. Put your own mothers in that situation. Would you be happy and think it correct to see her tasered?

Can't believe some of the comments here. Put your own mothers in that situation. Would you be happy and think it correct to see her tasered?

Absolutely not.

My point is that if you establish a procedure and train people to use it then they will use it. So this behaviour is a consequence of the removal of discretion from the way police carry out their job. They are taking what is for them the soft and easy option.

I would draw a parallel with the anti-terrorist legislation that local councils have been using to see whether people actually live within school catchment areas. They have been given the instrument and the authoirty to use it so they will.

The answer is to cut out the many regulations, guidlines and procedures and let the police do what we all think they ought to.

If this policeman was not being automatically videoed do you think he would have tasered the woman? I don't.

Guest UK Debt Slave
If a 20 year old black man had acted like the old woman, noone would have any objections to him being tasered. She was being awkward and argumentative over something as trivial as a speeding ticket. I see no problem with what the policeman did.

You're not a NuLabour politician are you?

A few years ago in America, he would have used his gun instead. Which would you prefer?

Yes that certainly sounds plausible :rolleyes:

USA........nuff said.

The cops have watched too many movies and everyone over reacts to everything.

When you go through US immigration you have to ensure you have no sense of humour or spirit about you to avoid being hassled.

I suppose with all the guns over there they cant be too careful but it seems ridiculous.

And on the news today the shock that police here in the UK may have dunked a few drug dealers heads in water.....I won't lose too much sleep over that.

Guest anorthosite
What would YOU have done? I know that I probably would have done the same, because that's what I would have been trained to do.

That attitude reminds me of something...

farsideme0.jpg

Although I question whether you would have actually been trained to taser a women in those circumstances.

Guest X-QUORK
Although I question whether you would have actually been trained to taser a women in those circumstances.

Week 12 at Hendon, tasering pensioners safely. There's a test at the end.