House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jethrotull

Amazon Prices Fall

I sell used DVDs, VHS, and PC games on Amazon.co.uk. Up until May DVDs were £5 to £7 second hand in excellent condition. Now I am selling them for £2 a DVD.

There has been a complete collapse in price. I try to be within £1 of the cheapest price, which Amazon lets you know. The fall from £7 to £2 is huge. Some people are listing VHS cassettes at 1 pence, hoping to make money on the difference between what they're paid for postage and what they can save by sticking it in some office's out tray on the sly.

On the other hand I can buy the DVDs in now for almost nothing. A box of second hand DVDs is now more expensive to deliver/collect than it is buy.

The reason most people sell me their old DVDs is because they say they don't have the space to store them. Some of the houses I collect from have tiny proportions. It is all well and good claiming something is a 4 bed house, but they're smaller than my old 2 bed flat.

Postage has shot up, so a DVD is now 61p to send 1st class as a large letter. And that price is only if you pack it in a thin small envelope.

At £2 a DVD it is cheaper to buy them than rent them from Love Film.

It seems to me most people are crammed into too small accommodation and can't afford to spend any money. We're all poor and squashed.

I am about to buy a couple of largish bits of machinery on eBay. Cheaper than hiring from HSS hire. Amazing. Down about one third on the spring. When they were well down on a year before. Lots of "I am giving up my business, 99p no reserve start" auctions.

Pretty much any mass market paperback more than about a year old is 1p on Amazon now, and there are hundreds and hundreds for sale at that price, so they are effectively worthless.

You make a good point about office outtrays! I think this is the only way some people can get away with such low prices. I do use the office franking machine for ebay/amazon stuff (as it's cheaper) but I always put the money in petty cash.

The biggest source isn't people wanting the money, but people who have no space to store anything. The number of families I see crammed into 2 bed houses that should be in 4 bed houses and the breadwinner should have his own premises for work.

There were a few stories in the eighties of how the Japanese seemed happy to tolerate tiny cramped living condtiions as long as they had the most recent electronic gadgets.

How we laughed at these mugs and their dreadful consumerist lifestyles :(

There were a few stories in the eighties of how the Japanese seemed happy to tolerate tiny cramped living condtiions as long as they had the most recent electronic gadgets.

How we laughed at these mugs and their dreadful consumerist lifestyles :(

How prescient

I sell my old books at Notting Hill Gate bookshop, and get exchange vouchers with which I buy second-hand clothes. And people say I'm tight!

Could you tell me more about this scheme please (PM if you like). Is it the Notting Hill Housing Trust shop?

I sell used DVDs, VHS, and PC games on Amazon.co.uk. Up until May DVDs were £5 to £7 second hand in excellent condition. Now I am selling them for £2 a DVD.

There has been a complete collapse in price. I try to be within £1 of the cheapest price, which Amazon lets you know. The fall from £7 to £2 is huge. Some people are listing VHS cassettes at 1 pence, hoping to make money on the difference between what they're paid for postage and what they can save by sticking it in some office's out tray on the sly.

On the other hand I can buy the DVDs in now for almost nothing. A box of second hand DVDs is now more expensive to deliver/collect than it is buy.

The reason most people sell me their old DVDs is because they say they don't have the space to store them. Some of the houses I collect from have tiny proportions. It is all well and good claiming something is a 4 bed house, but they're smaller than my old 2 bed flat.

Edit to add: A lot of these people disposing of DVDs will probably have already rippped them. I suppose to an extent, ebay is internet file sharing by snail mail.

Postage has shot up, so a DVD is now 61p to send 1st class as a large letter. And that price is only if you pack it in a thin small envelope.

At £2 a DVD it is cheaper to buy them than rent them from Love Film.

It seems to me most people are crammed into too small accommodation and can't afford to spend any money. We're all poor and squashed.

I started a thread a while back on a similar theme about a DVD price collapse on ebay. Definitely loads of people selling at a loss. TBH on ebay I think a lot of sellers just aren't bright enough to understand the myriad fees and to be fair I was surpised at the complexity of the spreadsheet formulas I landed up with to do it.

However, I'm doing very well with my core business product on ebay and achieving good prices. Don't do auctions though only BINs on an anchor shop. If anything ebay is catching up with my regular online store.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer