House Price Crash Forum

Tube Drivers' Strike

A newly qualified first officer on a 737 or A320 for a lo-co airline is only on the high 20s, and that's usually after having incurred a lot of debt to self-fund their training. Airline pilot makes a serious mistake = lots of people killed (potentially). Tube driver makes a serious mistake = emergency brakes apply automatically and the train comes to a halt.

I've no idea how TFL came up with their salaries, and i'm not here to justify them, but I suspect that it's because being a driver on the underground is one of the more senior roles for a blue collar worker. A first officer on a 737 is a starting role, with lots of room to progress. I know from working for BA years ago that with a few years service there are few better paid jobs than being a commercial pilot...

Similar for doctors. They start on somewhere around 30k, but it isn't a problem because they know they'll end up on 100k plus in relatively short order.

The pay issue is still a red herring. a.) most of those on strike aren't drivers. Drivers are picked up by the media precisely because they're the highest paid group of tube workers and therefore easier to demonise, b.) it wasn't the main reason for the strike, and c.) if they were on 100k a year, and being offered below inflation pay rises (ie. a pay cut) i'd still expect them to fight it. Why wouldn't any sensible person? Why should tube workers pay for the mismanagement of our banks and government?

c.) if they were on 100k a year, and being offered below inflation pay rises (ie. a pay cut) i'd still expect them to fight it. Why wouldn't any sensible person?

Because most of us live in the real economy, not some cry-baby world of "I want more because I've always had more in the past", which will get you nowhere in most jobs.

Because most of us live in the real economy, not some cry-baby world of "I want more because I've always had more in the past", which will get you nowhere in most jobs.

yep - there are people who see their company's finacial position for what it is and realise they will argue themselves out of a job or - in the public sector, simply be living off the taxes of others - and see how wrong it is to expect money out of greed with nary a work ethic to show for it.

some people are just scum.

I've no idea how TFL came up with their salaries, and i'm not here to justify them, but I suspect that it's because being a driver on the underground is one of the more senior roles for a blue collar worker.

It could still be done by a computer, and the rest of the jobs could be done by 4 year olds. How difficult is it to say "mind the doors"?

A first officer on a 737 is a starting role, with lots of room to progress. I know from working for BA years ago that with a few years service there are few better paid jobs than being a commercial pilot...

Similar for doctors. They start on somewhere around 30k, but it isn't a problem because they know they'll end up on 100k plus in relatively short order.

Thats because there are few jobs that carry more responsibility and simultaneously require that level of education and training as doctors and airline pilots. The fact that there is no progression is irrelevant. Do you think Comrade Crow would be happy if they had to work their way up to £40 like the police and nurses have to?

The pay issue is still a red herring. a.) most of those on strike aren't drivers. Drivers are picked up by the media precisely because they're the highest paid group of tube workers and therefore easier to demonise,

They are picked up because they earn a crapload of money for being glorified bell-boys and the RMT DO go on strike over drivers quite a lot. The idiot who opened the door on the wrong side of the train has caused a handful of strikes on the victoria line recently, and remeber that one who was caught playing squash while off sick with an injured ankle... yep, cant fire him either, else we'll go on strike!

b.) it wasn't the main reason for the strike, and

it was a pretty central reason for the strike. They dont want to get into a pay deal that ends after the olympics. They know they can write their own paycheques by threatening to strike over the olympics and they certainly dont want that excuse to be taken away from them.

c.) if they were on 100k a year, and being offered below inflation pay rises (ie. a pay cut) i'd still expect them to fight it. Why wouldn't any sensible person? Why should tube workers pay for the mismanagement of our banks and government
?

But I thought you said it wasnt about the money? And what the hell are you on about tube workers paying for the banks? Who the fark do you think pays the tube workers salaries? The tooth fairy?

Archived