House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_duke_of_hazzard

Tube Drivers' Strike

Drivers are members of ASLEF, the strikers are RMT. Don't blame the drivers for the strike.

Why not get robots to do their jobs?

Robots drive the shuttle train at stansted airport and ive never had any problem with them.

I have a remarkable sympathy for whoever caused this strike - were it not for them, I wouldn't be working from home for the next two days!

Whoever they are, they're probably horribly overpaid though :P

If I understand the issue the correctly, they're going on strike because the employers refuse to reinstate a driver who was sacked after opening train doors on the wrong side, thereby inviting unsuspecting passengers to jump to their deaths on an electrified railway line.

Elf 'n saftee, elf 'n saftee...

If I understand the issue the correctly, they're going on strike because the employers refuse to reinstate a driver who was sacked after opening train doors on the wrong side, thereby inviting unsuspecting passengers to jump to their deaths on an electrified railway line.

Elf 'n saftee, elf 'n saftee...

Its political correctness gone mad!

Why not get robots to do their jobs?

Robots drive the shuttle train at stansted airport and ive never had any problem with them.

The technology is implemented on Jubilee Line and will be rolled out on to Northern Line in due course.

The unions have demanded the driver is retained on the train to deal with "safety" issues.

I worked on this briefly when I was a supplier of kit to Thales 18 months ago.

Getting rid of these lazy slacker drivers will be a godsend.

Guest anorthosite

I've no idea if the underground is publicaly or privately owned, as this is HPC, I need to find out before I'll have an opinion.

However, most of them will live in London, so I have some sympathy for them.

The technology is implemented on Jubilee Line and will be rolled out on to Northern Line in due course.

The unions have demanded the driver is retained on the train to deal with "safety" issues.

I worked on this briefly when I was a supplier of kit to Thales 18 months ago.

Getting rid of these lazy slacker drivers will be a godsend.

Disagree there! Would rather have a live person in charge of the vehicle and passengers, even if much of the

journey is automated! That's how aircraft currently work!

I have no opinion on this particular dispute, since I have no knowledge of it!

Guest KingCharles1st

I watched Bob Crow on brek tv (when I wasnt looking at Kate Silverton's tits) and thought that although not very eloquent, the man did put across an extremely good argument. Now just who was it that was called, before the signed deal on the table was suddenly withdrawn. It seems he is working FOR his members, as witnessed by TWO ballots, which is more than can be said for our current Prime Minister.

Disagree there! Would rather have a live person in charge of the vehicle and passengers, even if much of the

I have no opinion on this particular dispute, since I have no knowledge of it!

I would rather have a computer drive it. Works fine on the DLR, the Paris metro and all other automated lines. At least you dont have to worry about your driver ploughing through a red signal* while gawping at page 3 of the sun. The DLR hasnt had a single accident in around 30 years of service. Automated systems are far more reliable than some badly shaved monkey in a vis-viz tabard.

It seems the dispute hinges on the drivers not being content with being paid almost as much as an airline pilot to work a 30 hour 4 day week for "driving" trains that are mostly automated* in any case. Half the time all they do is open and close the doors.

They cant even get that right - most of what this dispute is about is a driver who was sacked for opening the wrong door on the (automatic) Victoria line, and who then lied about carrying out safety proceedures. Then theres also the chap in court for stealing, they want him re-instated also. And they want a bigger slice of other Londoner's pay-cheques, of course.

*They cant actually go past a red signal for the most part because their automatic trains wont allow them to proceed anyway.

It seems he is working FOR his members, as witnessed by TWO ballots, which is more than can be said for our current Prime Minister.

Unfortunately, he is working AGAINST the rest of the country. Which is as much as can be said for our current Prime Minister.

I see a remarkable lack of sympathy towards them - most years people shrug their shoulders but this year people have no truck with it.

Anyone want to stick up for them?

Took me 2 hours to get to work this morning, 2 hours to get home last night, mix and reuse for day before. So, no sympathy. These buggers earn 40+. That's more than enough, I'd train more and fire the lot. Also, I'd not hire anyone who is in Bob Crowe's union. He just wanted to have a punch up with Boris.. Perhaps next time they can fight on their own time.

Its political correctness gone mad!

Yeah, PC gone mad's wot it is! Geez people can choose whether to jump or not and don't need the nanny state or rmt 'protecting' them! :ph34r:

The strike wasn't about pay, it was primarily about ensuring ex-Metronet workers got the same rights as other LU workers as far as i'm aware. Also, the pay offer is only between 1-1.5% this year, not 5%.

Interesting though, that the TV news and the tabloids have spent more time canvassing the public about their ill-informed opinions than actually finding any facts. Funny that...

My understanding is that, after 3 months of training on £14k salary, tube drivers then get £39k once qualified. This is one of the highest paid roles within London Underground though, and station staff (who are mostly RMT members as far as i'm aware) earn considerably less. From about £14k upwards. These make up a significant number of those on strike and those affected by the issues involved. So again, the focus on tube drivers seems a bit unfair and inaccurate as far as the strike's concerned.

It seems from most of the opinions on here that it's OK for big business to pocket money in the good times, and offer nothing for their workers, then in the bad times expect the workers to accept whatever they're offered. We all need to work together all of a sudden...

We've been told over and over again that unions cause job losses. A flexible labour market that doesn't strike will bring jobs etc etc. Well guess what? We've got few unions left, with little power, and we've got greater inequality in this country than ever before. We've also got nearly 3 million unemployed.

So in a nutshell, yes - I support the RMT...

Guest X-QUORK
We've been told over and over again that unions cause job losses. A flexible labour market that doesn't strike will bring jobs etc etc. Well guess what? We've got few unions left, with little power, and we've got greater inequality in this country than ever before. We've also got nearly 3 million unemployed.

An excellent point, but right wingers will never accept that capitalism's anything other than a panacea for all ills, even in the face of world recession brought about by uncontrolled greed.

An excellent point, but right wingers will never accept that capitalism's anything other than a panacea for all ills, even in the face of world recession brought about by uncontrolled greed.

still, Cuba's a lovely place...

but if aircraft go wrong they crash horriifically! if trains go wrong they generaly just stop! the signals stop others crashing into them! not many people die! whay am I using so many exclamation marks!

I see a remarkable lack of sympathy towards them - most years people shrug their shoulders but this year people have no truck with it.

Anyone want to stick up for them?

YES!

My understanding is that, after 3 months of training on £14k salary, tube drivers then get £39k once qualified.

A newly qualified first officer on a 737 or A320 for a lo-co airline is only on the high 20s, and that's usually after having incurred a lot of debt to self-fund their training. Airline pilot makes a serious mistake = lots of people killed (potentially). Tube driver makes a serious mistake = emergency brakes apply automatically and the train comes to a halt.