House Price Crash Forum

Is Brown Now Pm In Name Alone?

HOLA441

There was much talk of a plot against Brown recently. But at the last moment he appeared to survive. The reasons that the dagger may have stayed from the fatal blow have been well discussed elsewhere – mainly the perception that another change of leader would mean a general election. Well what I’m wondering is if the putsch really did happen on Sunday night, but that he has been allowed, nay required to stay on as official leader whilst stripped of all power. I guess this a theory that can’t be proved until the memoirs come out / the 30 year rule, but I am looking for changes in Government direction that Gordon would never have sanctioned if still in real power. This thread would I think qualify:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=116701

HOLA442
There was much talk of a plot against Brown recently. But at the last moment he appeared to survive. The reasons that the dagger may have stayed from the fatal blow have been well discussed elsewhere – mainly the perception that another change of leader would mean a general election. Well what I’m wondering is if the putsch really did happen on Sunday night, but that he has been allowed, nay required to stay on as official leader whilst stripped of all power. I guess this a theory that can’t be proved until the memoirs come out / the 30 year rule, but I am looking for changes in Government direction that Gordon would never have sanctioned if still in real power. This thread would I think qualify:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=116701

last chance saloon imo

Brown and his head honchos have begged stolen and borrowed

and a fair few threats as well I imagine to keep power

Biggest mistake NuLabor have made is not changing the driver

for all his promises to change and to listen we know it will

be business as usual within a week or 2

HOLA443
last chance saloon imo

Brown and his head honchos have begged stolen and borrowed

and a fair few threats as well I imagine to keep power

Biggest mistake NuLabor have made is not changing the driver

for all his promises to change and to listen we know it will

be business as usual within a week or 2

chances are the royal mail privatisation will be shelved.

HOLA444

As I've said here before, I Think Gordon Brown has become a disastrous prime minister and is damaging the Labour party even more than he's damaging the country by staying on.

BUT..... Labour has a large overall parliamentary majority - something like 63 seats, and they have a majority of 157 seats over the Conservatives. So, technically, in electoral terms, the case for Labour remaining in power is watertight.

Although Gordon Brown has not been elected prime minister, we don't elect PMs, we elect MPs, and the leader of the largest grouping usually becomes prime minister.

The disastrous showing by Labour in the local and EU elections could be taken by Brown as nothing more than an opinion poll, with a rather unrepresentative sample because it excluded the 57% the electorate who didn't vote but would have ALL voted Labour if they had voted !!!

So I come back to the fact that only Labour can depose Brown through a leadership election, a split in the party or mass defections to, say, the Lib Dems. But they'll need to get on with it if they want a better leader in place before the next general election.

HOLA445
chances are the royal mail privatisation will be shelved.

And ID cards.

HOLA446
HOLA447
thank goodness

I don't think so. Control is too important. They may shelve the cards, but they will keep the database. It goes against all rationality for a govt to cut state control of citizens when there are other ways to save cash (hospitals, benefits).

HOLA448
I don't think so. Control is too important. They may shelve the cards, but they will keep the database. It goes against all rationality for a govt to cut state control of citizens when there are other ways to save cash (hospitals, benefits).

Indeed.

That is of course, if Brown is still the Daddy.