House Price Crash Forum

Hostility Amongst Sellers (and Sometimes Eas)

HOLA441

Is it me or are Sellers (in particularly) more often than not really rude.

I am actively looking for a home and have put in a couple of offers in the past 6 months (all have been rejected). I put in another at the weekend and got a rude response back to what I considered a very fair and reasonable offer based on the current market, the state of the property and historical prices (2004 mark). Was around 10% knocked off asking price.

I am happy if someone doesn't want to sell me their property, but is there any need to be rude? Perhaps if one was treated with a little respect, I would have been happier to raise my offer.

HOLA442
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Offer them enough to fund their holidays and retirement and I suspect you'll be made an honorary member of the family.

When you're being chased down the road by them wielding sticks, you've probably offered less than expected.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Yeah, it`s not nice knowing the party`s over and you paid way over the odds for your drink. Many of them are bound to be a bit grouchy.

I think it's partly that the British are very bad at haggling/bargaining, but also that many think they have a God-given right to make money from property - therefore anyone questioning the price they have decided their property is worth is somehow insulting them. I think also the 'Englishman's home is his castle' feeling goes very deep as well - eg when looking for rented property I have met many rude/sullen landlords and had the phone slammed on me simply for asking questions about room size etc. People get very defensive around their little patch.

HOLA448

I am actively looking for a home and have put in a couple of offers in the past 6 months (all have been rejected). I put in another at the weekend and got a rude response back to what I considered a very fair and reasonable offer based on the current market, the state of the property and historical prices (2004 mark). Was around 10% knocked off asking price.

I am happy if someone doesn't want to sell me their property, but is there any need to be rude? Perhaps if one was treated with a little respect, I would have been happier to raise my offer.

Hmmm. Doesn't hostility and rudeness often stem from frustration. As in, Why do all these timewasters expect to pay less than my asking price?

HOLA449

Well then thank your lucky stars that sellers are being rude to you for they are doing you a favour in the long run, especially if you feel if they were nice to you you would offer them more!

Got friends how have put in half a dozen offers 25% off peak all turned down ALL PROPERTIES STILL FOR SALE.

Wait until October / November, currently sellers are having ONE LAST GO...........can't blame them.

Read:

Stay Away From Property It Has Much Further to Fall

How To Preserve Your Wealth in Uncertain Times

Sellers Need to Reduce Prices

Why Prices Have Further to Fall

Edited by Sybil13

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
if you're not deeply embarassed by your offer, then you offered too much anyway !

An elvish surgeon?

HOLA4412
Guest KingCharles1st
I think it's partly that the British are very bad at haggling/bargaining, but also that many think they have a God-given right to make money from property - therefore anyone questioning the price they have decided their property is worth is somehow insulting them. I think also the 'Englishman's home is his castle' feeling goes very deep as well - eg when looking for rented property I have met many rude/sullen landlords and had the phone slammed on me simply for asking questions about room size etc. People get very defensive around their little patch.

Is that a young Caroline Flint in your Avatar?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest KingCharles1st

Percieved value is, I think where a lot of people fall down badly.

Lets say you buy a property for 250K

You "Do it up," Kitchen, Garden, Windows etc etc etc to value of 50K-cost of goods to you.

You (and your family) also put in a lot of GENUINE HARD WORK to make your dream happen.

So now the property is worth, what? , exactly......?

It MUST be worth 250 + 50 MINIMUM- surely....?

I mean thats what it COST- didn't it.

And thats not factoring in your time and effort.

ANd you mortgaged for a lot of that extra 50K- so the property MUST BE WORTH THAT NOW.

But you want to sell- for whatever reason.

Some pr ick comes round and offers you 265K

You tell them to get stuffed

Innit

Edited by KingCharles1st

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Offer them enough to fund their holidays and retirement

Indeed this is what some sellers want right now - a lovely cosy retirement. They see their house value as part of some unwritten right.

They'll be sadly mistaken.

All the ones who are downsizing will just have to keep paying the huge bills.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Percieved value is, I think where a lot of people fall down badly.

Lets say you buy a property for 250K

You "Do it up," Kitchen, Garden, Windows etc etc etc to value of 50K-cost of goods to you.

You (and your family) also put in a lot of GENUINE HARD WORK to make your dream happen.

So now the property is worth, what? , exactly......?

It MUST be worth 250 + 50 MINIMUM- surely....?

I mean thats what it COST- didn't it.

And thats not factoring in your time and effort.

ANd you mortgaged for a lot of that extra 50K- so the property MUST BE WORTH THAT NOW.

But you want to sell- for whatever reason.

Some pr ick comes round and offers you 265K

You tell them to get stuffed

Innit

I hear this time and time again from people who think that 'doing up' their property automatically adds value. I think that's only the case if what you add to the property is something that won't depreciate - ie, you convert the loft or add an extension. Putting in a flashy kitchen or trendy bathroom etc, which depreciate, isn't the same thing. People confuse the idea of making money doing up wrecks and flipping them with long term cosmetic 'doing up', which is not the same.

HOLA4421
Indeed this is what some sellers want right now - a lovely cosy retirement. They see their house value as part of some unwritten right.

They'll be sadly mistaken.

All the ones who are downsizing will just have to keep paying the huge bills.

I ran into an example of this yesterday.

A work colleague was happy with his 2-bed house a few years ago but took on a large mortgage to get a 3-bed so that when he retired, he could downtrade back to the 2-bed he really needs, retire early being mortgage free and a nice pension pot.

Now he realises he has a big mortgage (3x) which has to be paid well into his 70's. Oops.

The downside for us bears is that he can't and won't sell at the moment. It will take many more years to work this stupidity out of the system.

VMR.

HOLA4422
I ran into an example of this yesterday.

A work colleague was happy with his 2-bed house a few years ago but took on a large mortgage to get a 3-bed so that when he retired, he could downtrade back to the 2-bed he really needs, retire early being mortgage free and a nice pension pot.

Now he realises he has a big mortgage (3x) which has to be paid well into his 70's. Oops.

The downside for us bears is that he can't and won't sell at the moment. It will take many more years to work this stupidity out of the system.

VMR.

Sounds familiar.

An ex-colleague of mine moved to a bigger house (old one was plenty big enough, and doesn't want kids), and at the same time released some equity to use as a deposit for a BTL flat.

Both properties are on IO, and the logic was that 'when we retire we will sell the flat and use the equity to pay off the mortgage on our house'. I got a very blank look when I said 'Call me old fashioned but some of us get a repayment mortgage, and that has the same effect'. I was then subjected to the usual scoffing that they should be able to get a tidy lump sum as well.

It never entered her head that she was speculating with her home.

It's such a shame I haven't been there for the last 18 months. :lol: