House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScaredEitherWay

Lloyds Axing 1400 Jobs-- merged thread

BANKING giant Lloyds has axed 1,400 jobs today in its biggest cuts of the year so far.

The bank's Cheltenham & Gloucester operation will bear the brunt, with ALL of its 160 High Street branches set to close.

Last night staff were braced for a huge restructuring.

Lloyds has shed nearly 3,000 jobs since mid-April after its merger earlier this year with Halifax Bank of Scotland.

It laid off 510 workers last week - and furious union leaders have urged Lloyds to come clean about the scale of the restructuring programme.

A spokesman refused to comment on the cuts.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...00-workers.html

Why are people shocked by this, merge two companies streamline the backoffice operations and cut staff to reduce costs.

Because its the Chelt & Glos southerners rather thna the Halifax and Scottish northerners ;)

Because its the Chelt & Glos southerners rather thna the Halifax and Scottish northerners ;)

Exactly. Just another reason why Labour got 8% of the vote down here. Less competition between banks, bigger profits, too big to fail. Exactly what we don't need.

Why are people shocked by this, merge two companies streamline the backoffice operations and cut staff to reduce costs.

Correct. However, when C&G were bought the staff will have been told that they were now part of the Lloyds family.

So will 75% of the Ex-C&G staff be redeployed and long standing Lloyds staffers be given the boot instead?

Thought not.

This is will undermine the Glos. economy (bad) & therefore house prices (good).

There were initial estimates of 20k redundancies from this merger.

They're taking a 'softly softly' approach to the redundancies due to the politics of the situation. Likely more to come.

Fail.

http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/cgi-bin/it...h=341&f=342

Brand Awareness

Lee Jones - 05-Jun-2009

John Charcol senior technical manager Ray Boulger says: “I would expect that, because it is making the decision, Lloyds will not drop its own brandsâ€. He may be right; Lloyds TSB continues to be a huge presence on high streets all over the UK, and C&G is a popular mortgage brand, neither is likely to disappear.

Bye-bye, C&G.

I hope Lloyds end up going down the pan, with every single member of staff ending up broke, homeless and alcoholic. Then I'll reckon we're even for those overdraught charges.

Bye-bye, C&G.

I hope Lloyds end up going down the pan, with every single member of staff ending up broke, homeless and alcoholic. Then I'll reckon we're even for those overdraught charges.

Well said that man.

Sibley and Hamish this is 1400 more people who were getting mortgages at a fraction over base rate owing to their employee perks leaving the market for housing.

Comment?

Bye-bye, C&G.

Charming. Are you a bad debtor of theirs?

Exactly. Just another reason why Labour got 8% of the vote down here. Less competition between banks, bigger profits, too big to fail. Exactly what we don't need.

8% f_ck me did they get that much? They should think about forming a government

Guest KingCharles1st

Poor sods- yet again, the honest hard working girls bringing in the second wage to try and balance the books "get it."

Q- so WHY di these branches and people need to be in operation in the "good times" then? Profit dumps?

Man on the telly (live from Canary Wharf) saying right now that we could see a total of 10,000 jobs gone from Lloyds & Royal Bank of Scotland in the longer run.

This appears to be the first the staff have heard of it!

A hasty memo went round basically saying 'please forget what you've just seen on the news sites. We have a big announcement to make later on today, but we're not saying what it is yet. We were going to tell you. Sorry about that. Carry on!' :blink:

Bye-bye, C&G.

Overdraft charges are an option - if you choose to go into overdraft then you pay for that convenience.

It's not their fault you bought too much shiny stuff for your money to last to the end of the month.

Overdraft charges are an option - if you choose to go into overdraft then you pay for that convenience.

It's not their fault you bought too much shiny stuff for your money to last to the end of the month.

Unavoidable medical costs, actually, you self-righteous tosspot.

Unavoidable medical costs, actually, you self-righteous tosspot.

Didn't you read your agreement then? You want all Lloyds employees to suffer because of your inability to understand how your bank account works...... and then YOU start to hurl abuse? :o

Didn't you read your agreement then? You want all Lloyds employees to suffer because of your inability to understand how your bank account works...... and then YOU start to hurl abuse? :o

I understood it, alright. Doesn't make it less crooked, though. I want them to suffer because the charges are unlawful and they are usurous scum, like all bank employees everywhere. And he is a self-righteous tosspot.

Edited by PrivateerMk2

I understood it, alright. Doesn't make it less crooked, though. I want them to suffer because the charges are unlawful and they are usurous scum, like all bank employees everywhere. And he is a self-righteous tosspot.

Ah, so now I understand your name. Come to rid the financial high seas of those pesky banks? Put's me in mind of that Monty Python film....

Anyhoo, don't think they're unlawful yet (probably just a matter of time tho). How will you manage to exist in today's society if the banks decide that all customers who reclaim they're charges have broken trust with them, and are no longer able to offer they're services? Fancy trying to run your life without a bank account?