House Price Crash Forum
Mega

Darling Has A "plan"

"Darling said the BNP had exploited anxiety about the lack of housing in traditional Labour areas and said the government would be fast-tracking plans to use jobless construction workers to build more homes. "We are looking at housing. It is one of those issues we really need to deal with," he said. While the focus had been on falling house prices, the "real housing problem is that not enough houses are being built. It is a big, big priority for us," the chancellor said. He added: "They [the BNP] have particularly nasty and unpleasant beliefs and they need to be confronted head-on. The BNP got fewer votes than last time, but a bigger share of the vote because our vote collapsed. We have a huge responsibility to repair that damage."

In other words, let do what every Labour goverment has done, Panic and throw money at the "Problem". Rather than listern, Labour try to answer a differant question.

Mike

Sounds good to me. Build a million homes in the next five years.

Perfect.

I concur. If they go ahead with building millions of houses ? Prices will fall across the board 50% - easy.

Although it is Labour so it's probably all chaff.

Perfect.

Works for me! I just hope that they build not just rabbit hutches, some decent houses are needed.

Edited by Tim Miller

We should nominate Aberdeen and Maidstone as in dire need of affordable housing.

They have produced at least two particularly nasty and unpleasant consequences, too.

We should nominate Aberdeen and Maidstone as in dire need of affordable housing.

They have produced at least two particularly nasty and unpleasant consequences, too.

You can leave Maidstone to Sibley, he's got a BTL empire there! ............Allegedly............ in his head anyway LOL.

I concur. If they go ahead with building millions of houses ? Prices will fall across the board 50% - easy.

Although it is Labour so it's probably all chaff.

Yer, heard it all before. Last time it was 3 million new homes before 2020 wasn't it? And dunno what happened to those eco-towns.

Pity the media seem to let them waffle on like this unchecked. Supply yes & also letting the whole btl & house price thing get out of control in the first place...

Hmmm. Why are they obsessed with the BNP all of a sudden? They also promised to tackle immigration earlier on Sky. They seem to be a bit rattled by the BNP.

Labour will be promising to do an awful lot of things in the coming months methinks. They will say and do anything to win back the core voters for the GE.

And yet, ironically, I am the only poster with bullish tendencies on here that has frequently posted in favour of massive housebuilding as a route to increasing FTB affordability. Even if it decreases long term HPI.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They are crapping themselves ref the BNP because they took are large slice of Labours core vote. If repeated at the GE while the BNP will not get in they will remove enough votes to allow a Tory or Lib in..............Bloodbath for New Labour.

BTW Notice "Old Labour" coming out?

Mike

Perfect.

I wrote about this subject on another thread only yesterday, this thread is far more suited. I was saying how I love England's countryside, however, I want to see more houses especially in the South East even though it will mean building on greenbelt. My parents and my best mate parents both bought plots of land and built detached properties on them. One of those houses was in a private road and must be worth 750k even now. These were their first homes, what FTB could do this.

I would love to see enough new QUALITY homes built to lower the price of homes in the UK. The government should buy farm land and brown fields sites and only pay sensible compensation. Farmers should get 2 or 3 times the farm land value, say 10k per acre, they get a nice profit, we get 1/8 acre for 1k. We could build our own or the builders come in and build, but they can only get the job if they build at agreed low costs. It's all very possible, someone just needs the balls to do it.

I really do not see why we put up with the @rap we do over exorbitant house prices. We spend our lives in too much debt, and it's totally avoidable. We buy houses with rooms so small you can hardy squeeze a bed in some so called bedrooms.

And yet, ironically, I am the only poster with bullish tendencies on here that has frequently posted in favour of massive housebuilding as a route to increasing FTB affordability. Even if it decreases long term HPI.

So long as it's not "social" housing anywhere near your house.

They are crapping themselves ref the BNP because they took are large slice of Labours core vote. If repeated at the GE while the BNP will not get in they will remove enough votes to allow a Tory or Lib in..............Bloodbath for New Labour.

BTW Notice "Old Labour" coming out?

Mike

You say that the BNP have stolen votes form Labour, but the polls suggest that the BNP didn't really see any significant increase in voting numbers this time around. I think Labour tanked because the core supporters decided to stay at home.

Why the 'Even if it decreases long term HPI'. Taking everything into consideration, why would you want HPI?

Perfect.

Lets get that inventory up!

Then we can crash as hard as California!

Carefull with these sensible posts Hamish,

Gorgon will be setting the stock on you next time you pass a farm.

I wrote about this subject on another thread only yesterday, this thread is far more suited. I was saying how I love England's countryside, however, I want to see more houses especially in the South East even though it will mean building on greenbelt. My parents and my best mate parents both bought plots of land and built detached properties on them. One of those houses was in a private road and must be worth 750k even now. These were their first homes, what FTB could do this.

I would love to see enough new QUALITY homes built to lower the price of homes in the UK. The government should buy farm land and brown fields sites and only pay sensible compensation. Farmers should get 2 or 3 times the farm land value, say 10k per acre, they get a nice profit, we get 1/8 acre for 1k. We could build our own or the builders come in and build, but they can only get the job if they build at agreed low costs. It's all very possible, someone just needs the balls to do it.

I really do not see why we put up with the @rap we do over exorbitant house prices. We spend our lives in too much debt, and it's totally avoidable. We buy houses with rooms so small you can hardy squeeze a bed in some so called bedrooms.

I actually live in the countryside, and I can assure everyone there is still a huge amount of it left.

In fact, if we doubled urban areas, I think it would reduce the countryside by about 10%.

Guest sillybear2

I suggest Darling uses cheap foreign labour to build these homes and then ensures the state owned banks lend to BTL landlords and over-inflate the value of the dwellings once they're completed, so all the local disaffected misguided vote tickers can't afford them anyway.

Genius.

Lets get that inventory up!

Then we can crash as hard as California!

Carefull with these sensible posts Hamish,

Gorgon will be setting the stock on you next time you pass a farm.

I actually live in the countryside, and I can assure everyone there is still a huge amount of it left.

In fact, if we doubled urban areas, I think it would reduce the countryside by about 10%.

Yes I lived in the countryside, there is masses of acres to build on without spoiling everything we hold dear. You only have to go on google map ariel view to see the vast areas we could utilize. It's not impossible to build these QUALITY homes is it, but will they? This is where mistakes were made in the past, they built @rap homes, we need homes the politicians would be glad to put their kids into.

One point about California, the bubble was inflated and burst because of dodgy loans, not over building. Cleaners on $20,000 got $600,000 mortgages, that was the problem.

Just before all the men cheer, the women faint and children wave mulit-coloured flags.... just how many promises have Labour actually delivered on ?

Bombing muslims back to the stone age.

The number of RAF 'missions' over Iraq and Afghanistan are truly shocking. So shocking, no one will talk about it.

Great!

More houses = more supply = continuing weakness in house prices

Good plan.

But why not pay for it with your own money, Alastair, rather than wasting that of the taxpayers.

What? You have no money? All you have is "a plan" on how government can solve some imaginary problem?

I see. I think you need an imaginary job, like "shadow" something

:lol:

Great!

More houses = more supply = continuing weakness in house prices

Good plan.

But why not pay for it with your own money, Alastair, rather than wasting that of the taxpayers.

What? You have no money? All you have is "a plan" on how government can solve some imaginary problem?

I see. I think you need an imaginary job, like "shadow" something

What's your problem with weak (lower) house prices? Why do you want high prices? Do you like big mortgages? You like the thought of your kids having to take 100,000's of debt on to buy a rabbit hutch? Or are you planning on MEWing to start them off, you like that thought do you? I do not understand why anyone wants high prices. Prices went up 190% in 10 years, so are you saying that prices were far too low at the start of the last HPI?