House Price Crash Forum

If you were relocating to Cheshire with commute to Manchester, where would you live? Something like Frodsham (chemical water), Northwich (Town center rundown) Winsford (nothing there) Sandbach (chavs overflow from chav capital Crewe?) Congleton? Chester? Knutsford (too expensive) Runcorn? South Manchester? (Guns) Any suggestions? Or would you just move to Shopshire and catch the train?... Any hidden gems out there?

South Manchester? (Guns)

I've known the area for 45 years, and I ain't been shot yet. :) Ditto, London. And you could say pretty much the same about anywhere in the UK: decent areas cost; poorer areas have more crime. Sad, but true, fact of life. And I'd say you've more chance of being stabbed to death than being shot... :)

And, in all honesty, would you and your family feel safer living on a remote farm in the middle of Cheshire? I know I wouldn't, especially as the dark Winter nights close in.

I don't think you are going to find any "hidden gems" with a decent commute for £150-200k. Maybe a few years from now, but not now.

The only advice I'd give is to have a flick through the many posts in the North West forum, there's some decent info. covering the South Manchester regions. I'd say Sale/Timperley/Alty are worth a look for your budget; there are plenty of other alternatives discussed in the threads on here.

At my previous gig (Knutsford), most people seem to have lived in Holmes Chapel. Don't know the area myself, but it was chosen by them as it was cheaper than Knutsford.

Still, wherever you choose, probably best to rent for a while. Oh, and maybe visit these guys before you venture out looking at properties in the "Wild (North) West": http://www.kelticclothing.co.uk/KLT-BodyAr...CFaYA4wodJlpVsg :)

Cheers,

Nomadd

South Manchester is also Didsbury, Chorlton, and I hear that Bramhall in Stockport is nice too.

The best bet on the budget would probably be Sale because of the tram link, though decent sub-200K houses are starting to reappear in Altrincham and Timperley.

South Manchester is also Didsbury, Chorlton, and I hear that Bramhall in Stockport is nice too.

The best bet on the budget would probably be Sale because of the tram link, though decent sub-200K houses are starting to reappear in Altrincham and Timperley.

Didsbury & Chorlton being the two rather pricey areas between Wythenshawe and Moss Side. I know theres always going to be a bad area next to a good areas but with family in mind I'd rather pick somewhere else with having these areas as neighbours ie Stockton Heath.

Bramhall is a decent area I agree, but I was looking a bit further out and into Cheshire as you seem to get a bit more for your money with a bit of piece of mind that you arn't living next to one of the worst drug and gun crime areas in the UK. Frodsham seems decent from first impressions but the concern: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pounds-3...ak-1149866.html

I mentioned Sandbach/Congleton/Northwich as they 'seem' decent enough areas with limited knowledge & a reasonable commute into Manchester.

I'd suggest Wilmslow (and you can find a decent 2/3 bedroom house on a nice road within your budget). Easy commute into Manchester and has an hourly train to London Euston too.

If you were relocating to Cheshire with commute to Manchester, where would you live? Something like Frodsham (chemical water), Northwich (Town center rundown) Winsford (nothing there) Sandbach (chavs overflow from chav capital Crewe?) Congleton? Chester? Knutsford (too expensive) Runcorn? South Manchester? (Guns) Any suggestions? Or would you just move to Shopshire and catch the train?... Any hidden gems out there?

With the size of budget you have you might as well forget Cheshire if you are not prepared to live in somewhere like Winsford or Northwich, you have a snowballs chance in hell even with a massive crash.

Terraced property circa £250k+ in the nicer areas, £400k for flats in Knutsford etc. The nice parts of Cheshire are comparable with the South in terms of house prices.

Makes me laugh to be honest reading your comments about Frodsham, Northwich, Winsford, Sandbach etc beggars can't be choosers..............

With the size of budget you have you might as well forget Cheshire if you are not prepared to live in somewhere like Winsford or Northwich, you have a snowballs chance in hell even with a massive crash.

Terraced property circa £250k+ in the nicer areas, £400k for flats in Knutsford etc. The nice parts of Cheshire are comparable with the South in terms of house prices.

Makes me laugh to be honest reading your comments about Frodsham, Northwich, Winsford, Sandbach etc beggars can't be choosers..............

Well, according to RM, there are 115 houses in Knutsford for £400k or less, so your comments are a bit exaggerated. And 59 of those houses are under 250k. And 49 flats under £400k; in fact 41 of them are under £250k. I know, as I work there on occasion. :)

Sure, a top house in a top Cheshire location can run to millions, but that doesn't mean it's a lost cause. :)

Cheers,

Nomadd

I bought in a lovely rural village in the centre of Cheshire last year. It was on the market at £310K and eventually we had it reduced to £250K. Sure it's gone down more since then, but suited situation at the time. Anyway, as regard your question, I have a neighbour who has a lovely 3 bed house that has been on the market for 2 years, they've dropped from around 250K and now have it on at 199K. I think thats a decent price as a near identical house across the road went for 275K at 2007 peak. We have an outstanding primary school a 2 minute walk away and one of the best secondary school in Cheshire 1 mile away. Most houses in the village are still priced at circa 400K. If you put Tarporley with a search radius of 1 mile into Rightmove I'm sure you'll see it, as so few houses in this area are priced that low! Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for! ;)

Forgot to say, don't bother with Winsford, Crewe, Northwich, Sandbach, etc. They may be cheaper but there's a bloody good reason! Holmes Chapel is ok if you don't want rural type of place.

I grew up in Congleton and while it's ok(ish), I wouldn't recommend it for commuting to Manchester! The A34 is an absolute dog at rush hour because it's the only real way into south Manchester from south Cheshire.

You'd really want to look for somewhere north of the big AstraZeneca research park just south of Alderley Edge. But for your budget, I'd guess Alderley/Wilmslow would mostly be out of range. Don't know the area that well, but around there is where a lot of the football players live so it's expensive and very 'Cheshire Life'.

No-one's mentioned Macclesfield (probably a reason for that!), but it's worth a look if you've looked at Sandbach or Congleton. It's bigger so more life to it, plus nearer Manchester & the peaks & better rail links north and south.

Other than than, I guess Sale/Altringham, etc. would be good but I've never lived there.

I don't know how long your commute takes at the moment (I guess if you're living in the South-East you may be used to driving for 45-60mins) but I wouldn't recommend driving into Manchester from anywhere outside the M60 (and certainly not as far out as Frodsham). Even from Altrincham it can take ages; the main routes from south Manc - Chester Rd, Kingsway and Princess Parkway - can be an absolute nightmare. It's not too bad from Didsbury or Chorlton but I'm not sure what you'd get for £250k in the nicer parts of those two (and you wouldn't want to live in the rougher parts of either).

If I was to commute into Manchester I would either take the Metrolink or live close to a (main) railway link. Admitedly I don't know how regular the normal trains are, but I am sure they cater well for commuters. (I think Macc to Piccadilly takes about 1/2hour so anywhere on that route would work quite well. Once you get onto the minor routes you'll be talking an hour though). The Metrolink is extremely regular though.

(Of course it depends on where you work in Manchester as well, but you're unlikely to be too far from a Metro stop)

Edited by gratefulbear

Well, according to RM, there are 115 houses in Knutsford for £400k or less, so your comments are a bit exaggerated. And 59 of those houses are under 250k. And 49 flats under £400k; in fact 41 of them are under £250k. I know, as I work there on occasion. :)

Sure, a top house in a top Cheshire location can run to millions, but that doesn't mean it's a lost cause. :)

Cheers,

Nomadd

They have to be £150k-£200k for him to be able to buy one, so it's it bit hard to understand your comment above in all honesty.

I note you work there occasional, I live there all the time.................In Knutsford for £200k you will get 2 beds, terrace or flat. Anything thats look better than this will be on the other side of town on the council estate.

The general point I was making though was that he has kicked in the long grass areas he could actually afford, like he was some big time charlie with his £150k :lol:

I grew up in Congleton and while it's ok(ish), I wouldn't recommend it for commuting to Manchester! The A34 is an absolute dog at rush hour because it's the only real way into south Manchester from south Cheshire.

You'd really want to look for somewhere north of the big AstraZeneca research park just south of Alderley Edge. But for your budget, I'd guess Alderley/Wilmslow would mostly be out of range. Don't know the area that well, but around there is where a lot of the football players live so it's expensive and very 'Cheshire Life'.

No-one's mentioned Macclesfield (probably a reason for that!), but it's worth a look if you've looked at Sandbach or Congleton. It's bigger so more life to it, plus nearer Manchester & the peaks & better rail links north and south.

Other than than, I guess Sale/Altringham, etc. would be good but I've never lived there.

I agree Macc worth a look.

I commute everyday into Manchester takes 1 hr by car, I really don't find it that much of a drag. Knutsford Rd, Mere Rd, A556, M56, M60 job done. I avoid the M6.

They have to be £150k-£200k for him to be able to buy one, so it's it bit hard to understand your comment above in all honesty.

Well, he said he had £150-200k. And I don't think he was trying to be a "big time charlie" as you called him. He actually seemed pretty genuine to me.

Your reply to him was "Terraced property circa £250k+ in the nicer areas..." as if this set the bottom of the complete housing market. As I and other's mentioned, other - still nice - areas in Cheshire are open to him. Even Knutsford, as long as he's not too fussy; Rightmove has 35 houses in Knutsford for under £200k, and 60 houses under £250k (and that's asking price, so if he has £200k, he'll be looking at properties up to about £250k and sticking in lower offers.) You also replied to him saying "With the size of budget you have you might as well forget Cheshire" and ""...beggars can't be choosers...", which was all rather harsh, TBH. And, of course, also untrue. :)

There are plenty of nice places in Cheshire he can buy for 200k. We've mentioned some of those areas above. In fact, if he's prepared to buy something a little run down and put his back into it - as a poster above has done with a slightly larger budget - then he could end up with something pretty decent. I saw a lovely 3 bed semi in Timperley sell for £160k about 6 weeks ago; very nice house, large garden, and very decent location. Sure, it needed a complete internal revamp, but that would be easily doable with his remaining £40k. So it's not all doom-and-gloom, especially if he has his finance in place and is prepared to bide his time and look around, maybe even renting for a while.

Still, if he held fire for a year or two, I'd think he'd get something much nicer for his money. :)

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd

Well, he said he had £150-200k. And I don't think he was trying to be a "big time charlie" as you called him. He actually seemed pretty genuine to me.

Your reply to him was "Terraced property circa £250k+ in the nicer areas..." as if this set the bottom of the complete housing market. As I and other's mentioned, other - still nice - areas in Cheshire are open to him. Even Knutsford, as long as he's not too fussy; Rightmove has 35 houses in Knutsford for under £200k, and 60 houses under £250k (and that's asking price, so if he has £200k, he'll be looking at properties up to about £250k and sticking in lower offers.) You also replied to him saying "With the size of budget you have you might as well forget Cheshire" and ""...beggars can't be choosers...", which was all rather harsh, TBH. And, of course, also untrue. :)

There are plenty of nice places in Cheshire he can buy for 200k. We've mentioned some of those areas above. In fact, if he's prepared to buy something a little run down and put his back into it - as a poster above has done with a slightly larger budget - then he could end up with something pretty decent. I saw a lovely 3 bed semi in Timperley sell for £160k about 6 weeks ago; very nice house, large garden, and very decent location. Sure, it needed a complete internal revamp, but that would be easily doable with his remaining £40k. So it's not all doom-and-gloom, especially if he has his finance in place and is prepared to bide his time and look around, maybe even renting for a while.

Still, if he held fire for a year or two, I'd think he'd get something much nicer for his money. :)

Nomadd

He is being to fussy, that was my point and he simply can't be. Anything decent in Knutsford is out of his price range, end of.

I agree, if he decides he can't be fussy (which he can't with £150k-£200k) he will pick up a pile of shite in Knutsford. But then he would be living like a chav or whatever other polite terms he used when describing other parts of Cheshire because those houses are either on or near the council estate, which kinda defeats his grand ideas don't you think?

Your Timperely example makes the point about being fussy, he can afford some run down shack you make the point for me.

Beggars can't be choosers...............

Your Timperely example makes the point about being fussy, he can afford some run down shack you make the point for me.

Beggars can't be choosers...............

Er, I said: "I saw a lovely 3 bed semi in Timperley..." Who said anything about a "run down shack?" That semi, with an interior revamp - which is well within his budget - would make a beautiful home. You seem to be making points only for yourself. :)

I mean, which one of these is a "run down shack":

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...p;thumbnailId=0

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...xPrice%3D200000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...p;thumbnailId=3

They are all in decent parts of Timperley, and there are at least another 10 or so on top of these, all under 200k. And that's asking price, so he could probably knock at least another £20k off those prices. And none of those properties need "doing up".

But, to stop this thread going on forever, let's agree: He doesn't have to beg. He does have to choose. Hopefully this thread has helped him some way along with that decision. Either that, or he's given up and chosen a different county. :)

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd

I hope it's for a dream job. I have a mate who relocated to Cheshire 20-odd years back, he's been stuck there ever since, and has about 5-6 years of his sentence remaining(children will be grown and gone then).

I hope it's for a dream job. I have a mate who relocated to Cheshire 20-odd years back, he's been stuck there ever since, and has about 5-6 years of his sentence remaining(children will be grown and gone then).

Very strange. I'm not sure I could stand being "stuck" somewhere I didn't like for 25/26 years! It's a very weird mate you have there...

The manager I was working for in Cheshire last year had relocated 22 years ago from Kent. I asked him would he ever move back, to which he replied "absolutely not!"

People, eh? :)

Nomadd

Very strange. I'm not sure I could stand being "stuck" somewhere I didn't like for 25/26 years! It's a very weird mate you have there...

The manager I was working for in Cheshire last year had relocated 22 years ago from Kent. I asked him would he ever move back, to which he replied "absolutely not!"

People, eh? :)

Nomadd

Yes, I take your point, I wouldn't stand it either, maybe he secretly likes it, though that's not what he says! Also I'm sure it has its good points if you don't mind the weather and traffic.(these are points which always strike me when I visit him).

Anyway I don't belong on this part of the forum, as I'd never live in the North West - it was an errant click when aiming for the South-West forum.

I'm buying in wilmslow. Fast train to manc is 15 mins! I have relatives who live here, its fairly ok with good schools!! Northwich TC is having a revamp so buying now could be good - but train takes 1hr.

It's not the prettiest town in the world, but if you have £200k, try the Farnworth and Cronton area of Widnes. Your budget would buy a 4 bed period semi (though sadly, probably with plastic windows and doors) on the doorstep of excellent state schools and within easy walk of countryside. It's straight to Manc on the M56 and there's also a station in Farnworth which takes you into Manchester Piccadilly in 30 minutes.

Knutsford is not as smart or as picturesque as 'Cranford' would suggest (it was filmed in Oxfordshire because Knutsford was considered over-developed and over-modernised). It is however, expensive. Not worth the money at all in my opinion, but you could try looking at Moore, which is nicer, though less convenient and more expensive.

Warrington is the Milton Keynes of the North, but nevertheless a very convenient place for commuters and families, and safer and cleaner than Manchester. Again, £200k would go a long way there.

Guest theboltonfury
It's not the prettiest town in the world, but if you have £200k, try the Farnworth and Cronton area of Widnes. Your budget would buy a 4 bed period semi (though sadly, probably with plastic windows and doors) on the doorstep of excellent state schools and within easy walk of countryside. It's straight to Manc on the M56 and there's also a station in Farnworth which takes you into Manchester Piccadilly in 30 minutes.

Knutsford is not as smart or as picturesque as 'Cranford' would suggest (it was filmed in Oxfordshire because Knutsford was considered over-developed and over-modernised). It is however, expensive. Not worth the money at all in my opinion, but you could try looking at Moore, which is nicer, though less convenient and more expensive.

Warrington is the Milton Keynes of the North, but nevertheless a very convenient place for commuters and families, and safer and cleaner than Manchester. Again, £200k would go a long way there.

Warrington is an absolute hole. I lived there for 2 years. Do not do it to yourself.