House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobed

Labour Noticing House Prices

http://www.labourlist.org/house_prices_and...t_duncan_weldon

High house prices are not a good thing. And they are the last thing a Government of the left should be supporting.

High house prices do not make the country as a whole richer, they merely redistribute wealth between home owners and non-home owners, broadly put, from the young to the old. They lead to higher debt levels as people borrow more to buy. They decrease the international competitiveness of Britain, as companies here must pay higher wages so that workers can afford somewhere to live.

I guess they can talk sense now it doesn't really matter.

Well true. That said, I've taken to posting on their blogs and the Tory blogs as it will have (slightly) more effect than posting here.

Bloody Hell

Make this guy PM- NOW!!

High treason, he should be sacked. Does Gordon know about this heresy?

Well true. That said, I've taken to posting on their blogs and the Tory blogs as it will have (slightly) more effect than posting here.

Good point. We're all preaching to the choir ( and about 6 retards ) here. We should spread the good news of hpc.

High house prices do not make the country as a whole richer, they merely redistribute wealth between home owners and non-home owners, broadly put, from the young to the old.

no ******ing shit, sherlock. only five years too late.

Duncan Weldon:

http://www.labourlist.org/duncan_weldon

Duncan Weldon is a Labour Party member and city economist. After university he worked as an economist at the Bank of England before moving into fund management in 2006. At various times he has been responsible for analysing the UK, Japanese, European and emerging markets economies. He is an occasional market and economic commentator on CNBC. Duncan also blogs at Duncan's Economic Blog.

Duncan’s Economic Blog:

http://duncanseconomicblog.wordpress.com/

I’ve defended Brown over the last few months. I think on the big economic questions of the last two years he has generally made the right choice, although at times not gone far enough.

The G20 was great success, and all credit to him for doing it.

I also think he was one of Britain’s more successful Chancellors and I don’t buy the ‘didn’t fix the roof when the sun was shining argument’.

I'm not sure that Labour List is an official Labour publication.

It looks more like a football fanzine where supporters can say what they want.

Snip: I also think he was one of Britain’s more successful Chancellors and I don’t buy the ‘didn’t fix the roof when the sun was shining argument’.

This comment is really getting on my t!ts. I've heard it said more than once over the last few days what a brilliant Chancellor he was.

Please, someone, put me out of my misery. Am I thinking of a different man?

We need to create a new housing market, where prices rise in line with earnings, where people think of their home as a place to live not a source of cash and where tenants (whether private, social or council) are not seen as lesser beings than owners. This will mean building a lot more homes, replenishing the social and council stock and probably being more prescriptive with banks as regards their lending policies.

Weird. I'd vote for this. I consider myself to be a recovering lefty so I am now worried about a relapse. I agree with everything apart from the part about the massive house building project, not sure this is necessary. Unless they are planning to knockdown the tiny crappy houses built during the boom and build real, proper sized houses.....

Bloody Hell

Make this guy PM- NOW!!

You should search through some of his other posts before you say that. This is the first sensible thing he has said all year. Last week he was telling us why we needed all those non-jobs and that you couldn't possibly sack any of them.