House Price Crash Forum

Hey All,

I've justed started looking for a 3 bedroom house in Wokingham. I was told by one agent that they had no props available, as the ones that come on to the market get under offer pretty quickly. Another one tells me that I will struggle to find a 3 bed house for 220K in Wokingham area.

Hate to be taken for a ride by estate agents. Does anyone else know what the situation is in Wokingham?

cheers,

pebble

Hey All,

I've justed started looking for a 3 bedroom house in Wokingham. I was told by one agent that they had no props available, as the ones that come on to the market get under offer pretty quickly. Another one tells me that I will struggle to find a 3 bed house for 220K in Wokingham area.

Hate to be taken for a ride by estate agents. Does anyone else know what the situation is in Wokingham?

cheers,

pebble

Don't tell me - the one who said they had nothing because they were being snapped up was Bairstow Eves? If so, they told me exactly the same thing when I registered with them in April (along with that old classic "prices are going back up now you know").

I'm looking in the £240-£260k range, and there's a few around but not much. What is for sale has been around quite a while, with little in the way of reductions. My advice is just to scour Rightmove and make sure you've got Property Bee installed so you can see how desperate the seller is.

It was hamptons international actually. Another thing I've noticed is some properties advertised on EA's websites but not actually available...I am sure there is a genuine reason why this is the case :-)

Good luck to you 'Oh give me home', oh give me a home indeed!

I do have prop bee installed very useful indeed...

Don't tell me - the one who said they had nothing because they were being snapped up was Bairstow Eves? If so, they told me exactly the same thing when I registered with them in April (along with that old classic "prices are going back up now you know").

I'm looking in the £240-£260k range, and there's a few around but not much. What is for sale has been around quite a while, with little in the way of reductions. My advice is just to scour Rightmove and make sure you've got Property Bee installed so you can see how desperate the seller is.

We're looking up the road in Crowthorne.

I don't quite understand what is happening there. Sure there are a few houses that have been on the market for ages. Those people don't appear to want to drop anymore. But the new houses that are coming on appear to be selling/ Most of the houses I've been watching have sold now and not for huge discounts if the stories I've heard are true.

Is it possible for areas like this to be somewhat immune to the effects of the crash?

E.g. seem a house for £350K and the owners are turning down offers of £330K despite supposedly being "desperate" to move.

I moved to Wokingham from the west country last August due to work. At that time there had been a pack of well-overpriced houses on the market for over a year (like the one I'm living in).

Bit of a stalemate, asking prices had got so silly by mid-2007 (£700k asking price for an admittedly large 4-bed + study double garage 1980s detached) that nothing was moving.

At the time I moved these were just starting to go rental, there was a flood shortly afterwards. I'm now living in that £700k peak for £1600 a month rent - a 2.7% yeild at that price. I'm guessing it's fallen already by £200k which makes my rent of £19k a year look quite cheap compared to owning the place.

Now there is not much for sale and what there is seems to be selling quite fast - don't know about the selling prices though.

I can't for the life of me understand why. Wokingham itself is a dump and when I buy, it certainly won't be around here.

I have noticed quite a few of the flood affected propeties coming to market. There was this one particular close where 3-4 properties were for sale/stc. Just one more issue to look out for in Wokingham and some nearby areas!

I moved to Wokingham from the west country last August due to work. At that time there had been a pack of well-overpriced houses on the market for over a year (like the one I'm living in).

Bit of a stalemate, asking prices had got so silly by mid-2007 (£700k asking price for an admittedly large 4-bed + study double garage 1980s detached) that nothing was moving.

At the time I moved these were just starting to go rental, there was a flood shortly afterwards. I'm now living in that £700k peak for £1600 a month rent - a 2.7% yeild at that price. I'm guessing it's fallen already by £200k which makes my rent of £19k a year look quite cheap compared to owning the place.

Now there is not much for sale and what there is seems to be selling quite fast - don't know about the selling prices though.

I can't for the life of me understand why. Wokingham itself is a dump and when I buy, it certainly won't be around here.