House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest UK Debt Slave

Who Needs Satire With A Government Like This?

Guest UK Debt Slave

I watched Rory Bremner last night and it struck me that it just wasn't really very funny anymore

And I suppose this is because satire has become superflous. This government is so ghastly and incompetent, satire seems redundent.

And I can't help thinking that programmes like HIGNFY and Rory Bremner are really pretty stale. People like Ian Hislop masquerade as anti-establishment types but I suspect they are very much part of the establishment. Taking the pi$$ out of the political elite is fine........just as long as it falls within certain pre-defined boundaries.

With a government as terrible as this one, satire needs to be far more savage to be effective. I'm pretty disappointed with what's on offer frankly. Some of the online stuff like The FKN News is much braver and deserves to be seen by a mainstream audience. It's still quite amateurish and obviously put together on a shoestring budget, but its heart is in the right place.

HIGNFY and Bremner bore me to death now. It's all very tired

SATIRE - –noun 1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

3. a literary genre comprising such compositions

TRAGEDY - –noun, plural -dies.

1. a dramatic composition, often in verse, dealing with a serious or somber theme, typically that of a person destined through a flaw of character (ring any bells...) or conflict with some overpowering force, as fate or society, to downfall or destruction.

2. the branch of the drama that is concerned with this form of composition.

3. the art and theory of writing and producing tragedies.

4. any literary composition, as a novel, dealing with a somber theme carried to a tragic conclusion.

5. the tragic element of drama, of literature generally, or of life.

6. a lamentable, dreadful, or fatal event or affair; calamity; disaster: the tragedy of war.

The former is redundant... the latter is currently more appropriate.

It's the reason why spitting image finished.

Politics got more surreal than the show.

Although I would love to see what they would have done with a Gordon puppet, could they have made him look even more hideous?

People like Ian Hislop masquerade as anti-establishment types but I suspect they are very much part of the establishment. Taking the pi$$ out of the political elite is fine........just as long as it falls within certain pre-defined boundaries.

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.

- Noam Chomsky

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.

- Noam Chomsky

yep

more need to realise this

I disagree, I thought BB&F was pretty funny although I do admit its 30min too long and your attention can wane significantly. I liked the Browny Madoff sketch, the Brand conspiracy and Mandelson bitchfest and rory does do some good researching, presenting facts that none of the MSM will. But yes it needs slimming down and fine tuned for maximum effect.

These programmes get millions of viewers at peak times. They have to exercise a bit of restraint and subtlety, but still get the message across with humour. i welcome it. Angry rants and deep analysis would just have the viewers reaching for the remote.

I watched Rory Bremner last night and it struck me that it just wasn't really very funny anymore

And I suppose this is because satire has become superflous. This government is so ghastly and incompetent, satire seems redundent.

And I can't help thinking that programmes like HIGNFY and Rory Bremner are really pretty stale. People like Ian Hislop masquerade as anti-establishment types but I suspect they are very much part of the establishment. Taking the pi$$ out of the political elite is fine........just as long as it falls within certain pre-defined boundaries.

With a government as terrible as this one, satire needs to be far more savage to be effective.

... HIGNFY and Bremner bore me to death now. It's all very tired

I agree. Sadly Bill Hicks is long gone.

I long for a "Seriously, kill yourself" aimed at the likes of Brown or, on the banking side, Andy Hornby. Instead Brown smirks on regardless and Horby is appointed as head of Alliance Boots. Meanwhile half of those still interested are in danger of needing cosmetic surgery to rid them of the wtf-demeanours their faces have been locked in for the past 12 months.

Guest UK Debt Slave

- Noam Chomsky

Yep

I'm familiar with this quote by Chomsky and it is absolutely spot on.

The reaction to the success of the BNP is typical. (I'm not a BNP supporter by the way)

Because it is deemed to be outside the status quo, it provokes the expected hysterical reaction when all that has happened is that people have exercised their right to vote for whomever they think best represents their interests.

The fact that thay may be wrong is irrelevent. It is the media's insistance that anyone who votes outside the accepted norms is a dangerous extremist.

Guest UK Debt Slave
I agree. Sadly Bill Hicks is long gone.

I long for a "Seriously, kill yourself" aimed at the likes of Brown or, on the banking side, Andy Hornby. Instead Brown smirks on regardless and Horby is appointed as head of Alliance Boots. Meanwhile half of those still interested are in danger of needing cosmetic surgery to rid them of the wtf-demeanours their faces have been locked in for the past 12 months.

Bill Hicks was great

George Carlin was too and he is virtually unknown in the UK. His humour absolutely hit the bullseye every time regarding the establishment, politics, education and human behaviour in general. Not surprising he was skillfully excluded from any media exposure in the UK