House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timebandit

Council Tax On Leaving A Property

Finally sold our home, completion this Thursday.

Spoke to council tax dept, concerning our move. They informed me I am required to give details of the new owner, to close my account.

Also not happy when my new address is a PO Box

Me being a stubborn sort of guy, my first response not to give the details but told its a legal requirement to close the account. Any info to assist me not giving the details when I contact them again with the details thanks.

Spoke to council tax dept, concerning our move. They informed me I am required to give details of the new owner, to close my account.

Me being a stubborn sort of guy, my first response not to give the details but told its a legal requirement to close the account. Any info to assist me not giving the details when I contact them again with the details thanks.

I doubt it's a legal requirement. Ask them which section of which Act makes it so. They'll just want it because it makes it easier for them to collect it. It's the responsibility of the person responsible for paying it to inform the Council.

I doubt it's a legal requirement. Ask them which section of which Act makes it so. They'll just want it because it makes it easier for them to collect it. It's the responsibility of the person responsible for paying it to inform the Council.

I recently moved out of a property and back to my parents for a few months. I didn't leave a forwarding address.

The council then starting sending bills for me 'Address Unknown' via my office! They had taken the details off an email and Googled for the address. Cheeky swines!

Had this myself some time ago as a tenant had moved out leaving a couple of months of arrears. They took it upon themselves to bill me for it, "But would consider letting me off if I provided a forwarding address for the debtors"

Having told them on the telephone repeatedly that it is not my job to chase their debts, or indeed supply private information on individuals they then decided to summons me for the debt.

I then went in to the council in person and spoke to the person in charge. A twenty something pretty blonde who inside five minutes was reduced to tears, and a letter written to me by her boss telling me that contradicting his officer was offensive and I will be banned from his office if I disputed the bill in such a manner again.

I called him in his office and explained to him that I find it offensive to be sent a summons to court for a bill that is nothing to do with me, and that if he has a problem with that, he had better find a good lawyer.

My bill was cancelled and I heard no more. It is not the job of anyone to provide information on other people, that is the councils job and they are obliged to send the homeowner or tenant a council tax enquiry form.

Contacted the council for the second time. Asked for the legal definition of my requirement to provide the owner details.

I was told I misheard. :rolleyes:

My reply, Good no need to hand over the information.

The reply, oh we still need the new owners details, otherwise the computer will not close the account.

So need a credible made up name along the lines of keep Gordon Brown petition. To give the council computer.

Guest X-QUORK
Contacted the council for the second time. Asked for the legal definition of my requirement to provide the owner details.

The reply, oh we still need the new owners details, otherwise the computer will not close the account.

So need a credible made up name along the lines of keep Gordon Brown petition. To give the council computer.

Mr Council Twats?

Don't lie. It doesn't look good if it ever ends up in Court. Tell them in writing that you no longer own the property. After that they can pursue you all they like but they'll never get a judgment against you.

I'm pretty sure when we moved in to our current abode, we received a letter from the council addressed to "The Occupier" reminding us of our tax based duties....

If you've spoken to them, and they recognised that you "misheard", and that actually you don't have to give anyone's name, then their computer should be able to deal with the name The Occupier until a time when someone wants to let them know some more details.

Obviously, the new occupants will also get the usual post at some point about electoral role registration as well (which is also addressed to the occupier - and not a specific name - or it is round here anyway) and then the council will have their name at that address.

There's no need to give them a name, and besides, you don't necessarily know what is going to happen with the property - or whether the person buying the property is actually going to be the one living there and hence be responsible for the council tax - and you wouldn't want to give them the wrong information.