House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bomberbrown

B.b.c. V.i. Ramping On The Tele This Morning

TheY had an Estate Agent from Callum Roberts on the tele this morning exorting that now was the time to buy because of.....wait for it...... and I quote:

"Interest rates are at their lowest and they will not be this low for very long"

So Mr Callum, if you're reading this. Provide me with a mortgage for 25 years with these exceedingly low rates, I'll take the base rate of 0.5% and I'll buy a 2 bedroomed garden flat off you today. Hell, I'll even buy two at those rates.

I'M SICK TO DEATH WITH THESE UNCHALLENGED VI SPOUTING BBC 'REPORTS'!!!!

Did you watch and listen to the whole piece? The presenter said something along the lines of 'well estate agents would say that', and then they went to the RICS bloke who was a lot more catious.

Fairly balanced item and certainly not VI ramping.

Did you watch and listen to the whole piece? The presenter said something along the lines of 'well estate agents would say that', and then they went to the RICS bloke who was a lot more catious.

I'd agree, I listened to it too... the hysterical OP is quite wrong to call this ramping by the BBC... all they are trying to do is to expose the debate so they always have in pretty much every one of these types of things (regardless of the subject) people from varying sides of the argument...... its is simply wrong to accuse the BBC of ramping over this, the OP is getting worked up for no good reason ( other than of course disagreeing with the agents view which is perfectly acceptable but a different point)

I'd agree, I listened to it too... the hysterical OP is quite wrong to call this ramping by the BBC... all they are trying to do is to expose the debate so they always have in pretty much every one of these types of things (regardless of the subject) people from varying sides of the argument...... its is simply wrong to accuse the BBC of ramping over this, the OP is getting worked up for no good reason ( other than of course disagreeing with the agents view which is perfectly acceptable but a different point)

Sorry, but if this is in reference to the feature on the business news section of BBC Breakfast that was on at about 6:55am then I'm with the OP.

1/ With LDV in trouble plus a variety of other interesting business news stories why run a 5 minute piece on HPs (particularly when Haliwide figures were out last week)?

2/ When doing a story it might be wise for the sake of objectivity to interview people with oposing backgrounds to gain a better view of the pros and cons of a subject. Interviewing two people (an EA and a surveyor) whose livlihood is dependent on an upbeat housing market is not objective.

3/ A jounalist should be asking tough questions of anybody he interviews to put across the opposite point of view. The mug this morning didn't even blink as the guy from RICS spouted about how crucial to the economy house price rises are.

The only thing to come from the whole thing was when the RICS guy admitted through his fixed grin that mortgage approvals etc. would have to double to see a turn around in the housing market. One sentence. In a 5 minute piece.

They were ramping for all they were worth!

Sorry, but if this is in reference to the feature on the business news section of BBC Breakfast that was on at about 6:55am then I'm with the OP.

1/ With LDV in trouble plus a variety of other interesting business news stories why run a 5 minute piece on HPs (particularly when Haliwide figures were out last week)?

2/ When doing a story it might be wise for the sake of objectivity to interview people with oposing backgrounds to gain a better view of the pros and cons of a subject. Interviewing two people (an EA and a surveyor) whose livlihood is dependent on an upbeat housing market is not objective.

3/ A jounalist should be asking tough questions of anybody he interviews to put across the opposite point of view. The mug this morning didn't even blink as the guy from RICS spouted about how crucial to the economy house price rises are.

The only thing to come from the whole thing was when the RICS guy admitted through his fixed grin that mortgage approvals etc. would have to double to see a turn around in the housing market. One sentence. In a 5 minute piece.

They were ramping for all they were worth!

Yes indeed, it was. The 6.55am slot. I can't understand what the other two posters are talking about?

I disagree, and I'll tell you why.

It began with a recorded V-take of Mr Callum, an EA, spouting what I described above, at quite length. Rounded off by a 2 second throwaway comment by the BBC presenter. If that wasn't enough, the BBC presenter and the RICs chap mention 'pent up demand' with no mention of the ability to pay for this demand.

edit:spelling

Edited by bomberbrown

Yes indeed, it was. The 6.55am slot. I can't understand what the other two posters are talking about?

It was shown again - well just an interview with a FTB who is changing her mind on a daily basis.

TheY had an Estate Agent from Callum Roberts on the tele this morning exorting that now was the time to buy because of.....wait for it...... and I quote:

So Mr Callum, if you're reading this. Provide me with a mortgage for 25 years with these exceedingly low rates, I'll take the base rate of 0.5% and I'll buy a 2 bedroomed garden flat off you today. Hell, I'll even buy two at those rates.

I'M SICK TO DEATH WITH THESE UNCHALLENGED VI SPOUTING BBC 'REPORTS'!!!!

Forgive me for being a bit dim, but what is VI?

I see that in the states, you can actually fix your mortgage rate for the full term when you take out a mortgage.

Why dont they do that here?

I think those sceeming VI ramping are just being far too sensitive about things.... whenever property is mentioned nationally or indeed house prices particularly they reach for the VI ramping card.... I have yet for instance to see a piece based on the latest more positive news from nationwide and Halifax that deosn't leave the listener with the following points;

1/ Latest reports show house prices have risen and this is a change from previous data.

2/ It doesn't mean house prices won't fall again.

3/ House prices have fallen 20% since peak.

they then typically go on to discuss is this the end, how far do they have to fall, are they still overvalued etc etc..... in the round I think unless you are super sensitive to one casue or another then the reporting is pretty rounded ...... its not what I what I would call fully dealing with the subject matter every time its raised but thats not the job of news or indeed journalism.

I think those sceeming VI ramping are just being far too sensitive about things....

*snip*

And I think that you should beware the Jaberwock my son. Not all that your eyes see is real and all your ears hear is truthful. Open your eyes and open your mind and try viewing the world with a bit of cynicism. There are people out there who are out to get you!

And I think that you should beware the Jaberwock my son. Not all that your eyes see is real and all your ears hear is truthful. Open your eyes and open your mind and try viewing the world with a bit of cynicism. There are people out there who are out to get you!

Oh dear... another sign that funding for mental health care is inadequate.

Yep, that budget gets spent on convicting fraudsters.

So why is HPI always reported as a positive? Straight back at you David Icke!

So why is HPI always reported as a positive? Straight back at you David Icke!

I think you'll find David Icke was the one with non-satndard views... your own views that there is well organising conspiracy going on is certainly the view that is outside mainstream... so in fact if any parrel can be drawn with David Icke it's with your own views... hows that !

To answer the question though... journalists create stories ... mostly their job these days is create news out of data... so when house prices are down they scream collapse and start painting very dark pictures and when house prices are up they scream wealth and prosperity... they repsond to data in extreme ways to create "news" ... if you hadn't worked that out by now then I feel sorry for you... maybe you are ripe for conversion by your hero David.

Its important to note that the beeb know that people do not sit and pay full attention to the telly in the morning. For millions of people it is background noise.

I caught the 6.55 slot whilst ironong a shirt, feeding the cat/dog/rabbit and making a pot of coffee.

I am sure therewill be many many millions of people like me who didnt sit through the whole piece. The broadcasters know this, hence they repeat everything they do every 15-20 mins.

I will tell you what I saw. Mention of recovery, lets talk about last weeks figures. I bent half an ear to this peice to find out why they mentioned last weeks figures. Was some new index out today perhaps? Well i am not sure why it was on but they did mention an 'expert'(the estate agent).

I had to take the dog to empty his bowels so missed the balance if it happened. But this is enough for many millions of people around the country to have found confirmation that recovery is being sustained. It was recovery last week, and its still being talked up this week.

Shameful. The OP is correct. You have to remember how people digest the items at breakfast time. A 4 minute piece that allows ramping all the way through can take full effect because the viewers dog is whimpering for a sh!t, kids still not out of bed and need shouting again, kids falling out at breakfast table etc by the time the beeb does the small print bit at the tail end of the piece.

Edited by Nick Dastardly

Shameful. The OP is correct. You have to remember how people digest the items at breakfast time. A 4 minute piece that allows ramping all the way through can take full effect because the viewers dog is whimpering for a sh!t, kids still not out of bed and need shouting again, kids falling out at breakfast table etc by the time the beeb does the small print bit at the tail end of the piece.

I agree 100%. I am in no doubt at all that the BBC is ramping the Property VI message all the time. They are total scum.

They can run around screaming and waving their hands in the air yelling "Don't buy a house" and it still won't make any difference.

People want to own their own home, the population is growing, and they aren't making anymore land. Coastal erosion and rising sea levels just adds to the pressure. House prices will march on up from here.

Pile in now while you can!

Jubblies!!

They can run around screaming and waving their hands in the air yelling "Don't buy a house" and it still won't make any difference.

People want to own their own home, the population is growing, and they aren't making anymore land. Coastal erosion and rising sea levels just adds to the pressure. House prices will march on up from here.

Jubblies!!

remember to take your medication sir, before engaging the public. REPENT AND RENT

Jubblies!!

You know what, with such in-depth analysis of the market I reckon you could be given a chance to share your expert views with a nation that is only half paying attention. The good news is that whilst none of them will remeber you personally, your message will be indellibly imprinted (unchallenged) in their minds.

Give them a ring - 0181 811 8055; ask for Bill or the bird with a square jaw!

I agree 100%. I am in no doubt at all that the BBC is ramping the Property VI message all the time. They are total scum.

As with our politicians, they are all up to their eyeballs in BTL/mortgage debt. It is in their interests to rampety ramp 'til blue in the face.

I was listening to a discussion on Five Live the other day (something about Gordon Brown) and the LibDem woman casually mentions that house prices will be "shooting up as soon as mortgages are available again" (what ever that means) and no one questioned her... the comment was accepted as fact, because that is what they want. They REALLY think that mal-investment of their children's and grand children's future wealth is f'ing fantastic!

We really are a very, very long way from curing our nation of HPI mania... IMPO, regrettably, it will take the bankrupting of nearly ALL of the BTL/over-extended in the media and general population to do it.

Edited by Bubble&Squeak

Jubblies!!

Have you recently turned bull dazedandconfused? Is my irony-dar on the blink? :unsure:

Jubblies!!

remember to take your medication sir, before engaging the public. REPENT AND RENT

I think dazedandconfused might be having a dry humour moment? See above.