House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cameron Phillips

York

Work has seen it within themselves to move me to the wonderful city of York. As a southerner I've not a clue about any of the areas or the prices of them. Ideally I'd like a 2 bedroom house or flat (prefer house) within walking distance of the train station. I have up to £600 a month to spend on rent but the less the better!

Any kind HPC'rs care to fill me in on the York renting scene?

Many Thanks

I've lived in York for nine years.

You should find a two-bedroom flat for £600/month within walking distance of the station, but probably not a very upmarket one and certainly not one with parking. I'd be extremely surprised if you could find a house for that. You might in Acomb, Clifton/Rawcliffe or further afield in somewhere like Rawcliffe or Haxby. Avoid the estate between Water Lane and Clifton Moor Gate, Heworth, Tang Hall and Osbaldwick if at all possible - chav cities and relatively high crime rates.

If you've got your heart set on a house then the only area I can think of that just might have somewhere within your budget and walking distance of the station is the are between the District Hospital and Bootham: Grosvenor Terrace, Ratcliffe Street, Burton Stone Lane and the surrounding streets. Otherwise the residential area between Boroughbridge Road and Wetherby Road is another possibiliity, but that's a 30-40 minute walk or a bus ride from the station; and one of the first things you'll discover on getting here is that the buses are fookin' expensive. The maze of streets just off Micklegate, intersecting Scarcroft Road and Nunnery Lane, have quite a few Victorian and Edwardian houses converted into BTL flats; within walking distance of the station, but if you have a car I don't think you'd find it easy to park there.

The bottom line is that unless you have off-road parking, bringing a car to York will be more hassle than it's worth. Most of the residential streets have a parking permit scheme, but finding a space is still very difficult. For this reason the rents and sale prices of properties with an off-road space are usually significantly higher than an equivalent property in the same area but without parking.

I don't know much about the south of the city, as I've lived on Bootham Terrace all the time I've been here. Heading down towards Fulford and Heslington you'd be a lot further from the station, though.