House Price Crash Forum

Conservatives Not So Sweet On Sugar

SarahBell

HOLA441

The Conservatives say Sir Alan Sugar must choose between working for the government and working for the BBC as the star of The Apprentice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8087648.stm

They say his new role as an "enterprise tsar" for the government is "completely incompatible" with BBC rules.

Sir Alan, who will also be made a lord, denied he was joining the government.

"As far as I'm concerned, this is politically neutral. All I want to do is to try and help businesses and enterprise," he told the BBC.

News of Sir Alan's appointment came on Friday as Gordon Brown reshuffled his cabinet.

HOLA442

hmmmm

pot....kettle.....black.

is krusty the clown still on the tory payroll as housing adviser??

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :P

mainstream politics has been well and truly sussed,all of these parties have got a lot of cleaning up to do!!!

....contrary to the wishes of their paymasters some of us still CAN be arsed to vote!!.....just not for the state prescribed parties.

apathy is not an option,if you don't like the situation you are in....then change it,don't just sit there moaning!!

nighty night :rolleyes:

HOLA443
HOLA444

And even if Krustie was on the Tory payroll, the Tory Party's payroll comes from their members and donors, not the taxpayer. The Government has executive powers; an opposition party doesn't. If Sugar had been appointed a consultant to The Labour Party, then the analogy would be valid. But he hasn't: he's been appointed to The Government; for that reason, the Tories' criticism is entirely valid. Working both for The Government and for a broadcaster which is publicly financed and charged with reporting the activities of The Government, and criticism of it, impartially, is certainly a conflict of interests.

HOLA445
HOLA446
The Conservatives say Sir Alan Sugar must choose between working for the government and working for the BBC as the star of The Apprentice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8087648.stm

They say his new role as an "enterprise tsar" for the government is "completely incompatible" with BBC rules.

Sir Alan, who will also be made a lord, denied he was joining the government.

"As far as I'm concerned, this is politically neutral. All I want to do is to try and help businesses and enterprise," he told the BBC.

News of Sir Alan's appointment came on Friday as Gordon Brown reshuffled his cabinet.

Sugar working for the BBC on The Apprentice is an irrelevance. I can't see how it generates a conflict of interest.

But what does is his Viglen computer business. I thought Viglen were suppliers to schools, councils, government, etc. Surely this is the where the conflict of interest lies?

HOLA447
Sugar working for the BBC on The Apprentice is an irrelevance. I can't see how it generates a conflict of interest.

But what does is his Viglen computer business. I thought Viglen were suppliers to schools, councils, government, etc. Surely this is the where the conflict of interest lies?

You mean like last weeks 30M deal?

HOLA448

The only reason that man is working for the bbc or the government is because he now realises that it will soon be impossible to make money in the private sector.

I also do not rate him as some master business man, mainly because he said premium bonds were a good investment !! Ha! :blink:

edited for spelling as usual.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The think is that Sugar is the epitome of capitalism, with all the visble trappings, like the Rolls-Royce Phantom with personalised registration. The facts that he's supported Labour and that he's a self-made man don't detract from the fact the he represents everything that Labour is supposed to be against.

What next? David Cameron inviting President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela over for friendly bilateral talks?

What would be the situation if Brown invited a foreign national, e.g. Dick Cheyney or someone, to be a government advisor? Would our constitution allow that?

Archived