House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
trappedsharedowner

How To Invest A Small Amount Of Money

My son has saved about £7,000 he wants to 'invest' rather than it sitting in a useless bank account. He already has his quota of ISAs. Sensible suggestions wanted, please!!

That's presumably £7k on top of a cash cushion?

I'm investing spare money in VCTs. The beauty of that is, you invest £10k, then claim £3k back in a tax rebate. So in your son's case, that makes 43% extra for free on his £7k. Oh, and payouts from the VCT are tax-free too.

Is he looking for a long term investment, with £7k he could do well with a property investment at a time when property prices are low. There is lots of potential for this kind of investment and with the right property and advice you could see good returns on the investment

My son has saved about £7,000 he wants to 'invest' rather than it sitting in a useless bank account. He already has his quota of ISAs. Sensible suggestions wanted, please!!

Residential real estate is good source for small amount of money.

Detroit Homes for Sale

Why not invest the money in a couple of big shares, say Royal Dutch Shell (B Shares advised if your son is in the UK), and Unilever, or how about Tescos?

I am not saying that your son will make money on them, but he will learn about owning shares. Somehow you always learn more by doing something, rather than reading about it.

Note, these shares are in very large companies, and they are therefore viewed as a safer investment than many shares. But that doesnt mean he couldnt lose all his money! Invest in shares only if you are prepared to lose your capital, in exchange for a bigger gain on average.

And the dividends on these shares are probably higher than the interest he would get in a bank account right now.

That's presumably £7k on top of a cash cushion?

I'm investing spare money in VCTs. The beauty of that is, you invest £10k, then claim £3k back in a tax rebate. So in your son's case, that makes 43% extra for free on his £7k. Oh, and payouts from the VCT are tax-free too.

I don't have a clue what VCT's are, so I looked it up, still don't know what the letters stand for or how they work, but here's some useful info on the investment implications:

http://boards.thisismoney.co.uk/tim/thread...mp;thread=61625

Assuming his ISAs are in bond and equity funds plus he's got a fair wad of cash saved, an ishares all commodities index tracker might give a degree of diverisification?

That said the diversification's been pretty piss poor recently :unsure:

I don't have a clue what VCT's are, so I looked it up, still don't know what the letters stand for or how they work, but here's some useful info on the investment implications:

http://boards.thisismoney.co.uk/tim/thread...mp;thread=61625

Heh. That's totally out-of-date.

Yes, it's an illiquid and long-term investment. If you take the capital out before five years you'll almost certainly lose out (though income is tax-free and at a better rate than the banks offer). After that it depends on the type of VCT: they can choose any one of:

1. pay permanent tax-free income

2. wind up and return the capital to investors

3. trade tax-free dividends for liquidity by converting to an investment trust

4. ???

The prospectus will make (1) vs (2) clear up front. Any other option would be subject to a shareholder vote.

ObHPCTopic: I just found out yesterday that one of my VCTs has made a very small investment in Zoopla, one of the challengers to Rightmove's crown!

I'd suggest precious metals.

The nice thing about them is that there are plenty of technical charts available, if you hold physical then you can't be wiped out. Its a good way to learn how to track a portfolio and interpret charts. You also get shiny stuff instead of paper. The only downside is that you have an emotional connection instead of purely pragmatic.

Gold: Financial hedge,

Silver: Financial hedge and industrial

Platinum: industrial

Palladium: Industrial.

Rhodium.... if your feeling lucky.