House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Tarbuck

Buddism..?

In the charity shop today with Edna I picked up a book on Buddism - all well and good - peace and calm... but I bet these Buddists don't have a$$holes as neighbours!

All well and good letting bad feelings pass and all that - but I find just so much as seeing someone throwing a cigarette butt on the floor or swearing invokes in me a 30 minute session on the heavy-bag!!

In the charity shop today with Edna I picked up a book on Buddism - all well and good - peace and calm... but I bet these Buddists don't have a$$holes as neighbours!

All well and good letting bad feelings pass and all that - but I find just so much as seeing someone throwing a cigarette butt on the floor or swearing invokes in me a 30 minute session on the heavy-bag!!

Today I will just Be, I will judge nothing or no-one, today I will just Be, I will judge nothing or no-one.....

Buddhism isn't all its cracked up to be, the western trendy mob doesn't understand.

Buddhists accept chaos, death and destruction as a way of life. You must accept the world as it is without objection if you want to understand and reach nirvana, for most its just a spiritual joyride for those that like to run away and massage their egos. Most don't understand that Karma is just a guide to how well you are getting on in the pursuit of nirvana, it is not the ultimate goal and isn't a reward type thing for being good. Even most buddhists are just beginners, yet are masters in the eyes of the deluded hordes that think they have moral superiority because they "believe". They also have the odd wars with each other too :o

<_<

Edit: To add that I don't disagree with it like any religions, just in case folks think I'm attacking them or something.

Would you allow for throwing a cigarette butt in the wheelie-bin and saying '**** Gordon Brown' in a moderately polished accent?

Picked up a book on Buddhism or bought a book on Buddhism?

I am interested in what even made you share that today?

I admit to attempting to embrace some kind of Buddhist principles to help me deal with McTavish

HPC Link

And I have been thinking of spending less of my currently limited time on HPC (return in October 2009 after the "green shoots" have well and truly withered), and spending more time doing something a bit more nourishing.

I personally wish that I was the kind of person that could embrace the buddhist perspective wholeheartedly but its never quite sat right for me or is it that I have never been able to sit right with it ?

These days people speak of an "integral" theory of consciousness but those that write about it are on a par with those that contribute to the "Gilts Thread", its all very interesting (if one can even begin to grasp what is being said), but where is its relevence when all one actually wants is to know is for instance what can be done so as not to have to have "a 30 minute session on the heavy -bag" every time someone drops a fag butt.

I am, as you may well know, "a bear of little brain" , most of what I seek to understand is way beyond my ability to understand yet I sense there is, at some level, a paradigm shift occuring, what I can't comprehend is how it filters into main stream.

I sense we are at a culmination point where there is a need / necessity to pull a lot of threads together and Buddhism in its essence offers a perspective of integrated / interelated wholeness , the trouble is we then get lost all over again in conventions passed down for thousands of years. We fall back into the trap of linear growth where you have to do this in order to get to this stage in order to grow some more and to achieve etc etc..

So currently there are lots of threads coming together but in essence they seem to be leading us beyond the "ism" or "ology" they grew from towards something we can't even begin to comprehend, and rightly so for if we "knew" it it would simply be "more of the same".

OK so what am I trying to say?

I think its something like, when quantum physics took us beyond the old mechanistic view of life and opened our eyes to the fact that the observer and the observed are related, it opened up a whole new field of potential that hasn't even begun to be explored in the wider context yet is forming the basis of an approach to life that is spoken of but not lived.

The subatomic world taught us that particles are not "things" but interconnections , relationships expressed in terms of probablities and the probabilities determine the dynamics of the whole system. In the quantum world there are no fundamental constants / law or equations the material universe is seen as a dynamic web of interrelated events where none of the properties of any part of this web are fundamental. Except there are no actual PARTS , what we call a "part" is merely a pattern in an inseperable web of relationships.

OK so it is getting complex again. ;)

The point I am trying to make is that the charity shop , Edna , the book on buddhism , the cigarette butt , the heavy bag , the economy, HPC and even Mc~Tavish, Rinoa and Brown are all part of the unfolding and at a deep level (not fundametal ) related. The art here is in trying to unravel from the complexity of it all a way forward where we all find a way to live that brings us into a relationship to the whole of which we are an integral ...mmm....not part....more like fibre. Whereby we find what has true value and discover that that which benefits the whole is of more benfit to us than that which only benefits in part , and what is more in amongst all of this you find yourself much more relaxed about neighbours and cigarette butts.

Sadly , reading through the threads on HPC and the press and watching the UK become Blue all I am seeing is "more of the same" . Perhaps we need another cycle of Tory rule before we remember why we rejected the right and then rejected the left and have now gone back to the right before we find out what there is in the middle of this wobble to find a basis of life that will ulitmately prove to be very valuable indeed.

In the meantime I really don't know what to suggest to help you find some peace in amongst it all.

I personally cannot see too much wrong with anger as long as we express it in a healthy way. There is that story about the zen master who tells his student who is angry to knock nails in a fence every time he is angry, soon the fence is full of nails and the man is much less angry. The master then tells the student to remove a nail everytime he can transform his anger, when the last nail is removed the master asks the student to look at the fence . The master points out that no matter how many times we hit out in anger and say sorry the anger leaves a scar.

To be honest even admitting to being angry is a huge step, one that most people never ever make.

In case anybody's interested:

The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism:

1. Suffering Exists

2. The origin of all suffering is ignorance, delusion and attachment

3. Cessation of suffering is possible

4. The path to the cessation of suffering is the Noble Eightfold Path, namely right view, right intention, right speach, right livelihood, right action, right mindfulness, right effort and right concentration

In case anybody's interested:

The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism:

1. Suffering Exists

2. The origin of all suffering is ignorance, delusion and attachment

3. Cessation of suffering is possible

4. The path to the cessation of suffering is the Noble Eightfold Path, namely right view, right intention, right speach, right livelihood, right action, right mindfulness, right effort and right concentration

And a right hook if none of them work...