House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

denna

The Story Of Stuff

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

lovely patronising little film that says it how it is.

Warning it is 20 mins long, but a good little film to recommend to the person who likes to spends 20 / 30 mins telling you all about pointless pieces of tat they just bought. Or to a mate who keeps telling you the benefits of a plasma tv set, and continually asking why you haven't got one yet.

Got to 2 minutes. Bored.

It gets a little punchier after the first couple of minutes or so.

The video may be stating the obvious somewhat, but it's nice to be reminded -- and I guess it can't be all that obvious, or there wouldn't be so much rampant consumerism.

Cheers for the warning about the length.

As a consequence I haven't watched it as I think the written word (with pictures) is a far better way of getting information across on the net. Though I know people will continue to produce videos because they like doing it and watching themselves.

The video is long, so I don't expect you to watch it particuarily, but I tend to stick it on in the background at home if I get a visit from 'the Jones' next door. Especially if such people sit in my home, describing/ showing off a pair of pointless plasticy high-heel shoes etc. and why I should be buying the tat too.

They thing is, that it really does not take very long before my friends click, that I don't give a **** about their 12th pair of tacky shoes, or the tv on credit.

The video works well for shutting up / putting such people who worship at the alter of tat in their place. :P

The video works well for shutting up / putting such people who worship at the alter of tat in their place. :P

HERE is the altar of tat! Worship, and despair! ;)

http://www.bradford.co.uk/

For the strong-willed only....

The video is long, so I don't expect you to watch it particuarily, but I tend to stick it on in the background at home if I get a visit from 'the Jones' next door. Especially if such people sit in my home, describing/ showing off a pair of pointless plasticy high-heel shoes etc. and why I should be buying the tat too.

They thing is, that it really does not take very long before my friends click, that I don't give a **** about their 12th pair of tacky shoes, or the tv on credit.

:lol:

If I get something similar I will search for this thread to put the video on!

Most people I know are non-materialistic. You get conversations with the sort of one-upmanship you find on the frugal threads on this board (I only have two pairs of shoes and I made them out of a piece of coal I found) and, surprisingly, the majority of people I know like this are women; though I know some silly shoe-obsessed women as well.

My word. I didn't know things like this existed. Is it real or a piss take ?

14_00328_001U_BIG.jpg

oh... wow... can't quite get my head around the sudden empty space on my mantlepiece not having a wonderland express christmas tree on it...

Browsing the above site, enjoying a drink from my John Wayne Home Bar Set.

Does the Innovations Catalogue still exist?. I wouldn't be without my Spiked Lawn Aereating Shoes ('say goodbye to dry lawn misery!'), or my slippers with miniature headlights in the toes. 'A Godsend in averting those frequent accidents in darkened stairwells'.

My word. I didn't know things like this existed. Is it real or a piss take ?

14_00328_001U_BIG.jpg

Not a piss take mr CCC! One of my colleagues brought me in an advert from a paper, showing one of

Bradford's finest "objets"! Some sort of "RAF commemorative cuckoo clock, er, which lights up I believe!" :blink:

I looked up the web site and well! What can I say? :o

It makes the "Innovations" stuff look useful, :huh: mr Juvanal....

Not a piss take mr CCC! One of my colleagues brought me in an advert from a paper, showing one of

Bradford's finest "objets"! Some sort of "RAF commemorative cuckoo clock, er, which lights up I believe!" :blink:

I looked up the web site and well! What can I say? :o

It makes the "Innovations" stuff look useful, :huh: mr Juvanal....

I'm glad you HPCers clicked on the link and "enjoyed"! It really has me in fits!

Somehow I quoted myself and posted twice?

And good morning Denna! We all buy "stuff" occasionally I think!

But it looks like some people are hell-bent on accumulating "tat"! :blink: