House Price Crash Forum

Tory Economic Policy Thread

HOLA441

A month or so back a link to the Tory's economic policy was posted in this forum. A few were surprised at how reasonable it sounded, with a couple of users commenting that it could have been written by a HousePriceCrasher!

Can anyone remember where the policy can be found?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

i dont see any difference too the eventual outcome whoever is in government next year

i strongly believe that the economic cycle rules government and not vica versa

Tories win = mild tax increases, huge public spending slash = economic downturn and the start of the real crash

Labour win = big tax increases, mild public spending slash = economic downturn and the start of the real crash

Do nothing policy which brown adopted in the last budget = lose AAA rating , cant afford debt repayments, Cap in hand to IMF, forced to slash public sector and huge tax increase = economic downturn and the start of the real crash

The main crash is unavoidable whatever policies but i dont think it will happen until after the next election when whoever is in Government has a mandate for 5 years and can inflict the neccessary pain in the first 2 or 3

HOLA448
i dont see any difference too the eventual outcome whoever is in government next year

Tories win = mild tax increases, huge public spending slash = economic downturn and the start of the real crash

Labour win = big tax increases, mild public spending slash = economic downturn and the start of the real crash

Do nothing policy which brown adopted in the last budget = lose AAA rating , cant afford debt repayments, Cap in hand to IMF, forced to slash public sector and huge tax increase = economic downturn and the start of the real crash

The main crash is unavoidable whatever policies but i dont think it will happen until after the next election when whoever is in Government has a mandate for 5 years and can inflict the neccessary pain in the first 2 or 3

The points in bold contradict each other, surely the government has lost all control a long time ago? A bond market crisis will be the perfect backdrop to Gordons crazy attempt to carry on. It must be coming soon?

HOLA449
The points in bold contradict each other, surely the government has lost all control a long time ago? A bond market crisis will be the perfect backdrop to Gordons crazy attempt to carry on. It must be coming soon?

fair point but i mean "in the end game", you can create a false market short term but eventually the market will always win out

HOLA4410

The conservative policy on housing sounds good, like Labour's D-REAM 'Things can only get better' soundtrack.

Can anyone tell me how any of it will work, with the unofficial policy of mass immigration?

From Boris Johnsons calls for a mass amnesty for the estmated million illegally here with many millions more of thier relatives thus arriving later

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/paper/index.php?article=4081

To over 71 million people from Turkey's EU accession having the right to live in the UK in a few years?.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6421215.stm

Its looking at the past - not what the future population pressures are likely to be in a few years time.

How will the Right to Move for social tenants, and a few Local Housing trusts allowed to build 10 houses each with 1 extra per year in rural communities make a difference?.

Edited by brainclamp

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
That makes for some good reading.

It certainly does.

And clearly admits that the main reason for HPI is an increasing number of households, combined with a failure to build the right types of house, in places where people want to live, and where there is the employment to support them.

Given that there is no way in hell building can catch up with demand, and as the report admits, the seeds of the next boom have already been sown.

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
strange. I could have sworn that house prices tripled in a decade due to tripling of mortgage lending.

And there you go again, confusing cause and effect.

Do you really think mortgage lending would have needed to increase if there were two empty houses for every buyer?

No, of course not. :rolleyes:

Any idiot can see that if there are more houses than buyers, prices remain low. Thats why you can buy a 3 bed terrace in some (less desirable) parts of the country for 60K. And in other (more desirable) parts it costs 600K.

Mortgage lending was equal everywhere. And yet some areas stayed affordable whilst others didn't. Only a fool would deny that supply and demand was the primary driver of HPI, when the price differential between areas so clearly proves it.

HOLA4416
The boom was caused by easy credit, RMBS and low interest rates :rolleyes:

So you'd rather pay 15% interest on a 100K property, than pay 5% interest on a 200K property?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If supply and demand was not an issue, then you would not be faced with the fact that a 3 bed terrace in some areas costs 60K, and in others 600K.

Fool. :rolleyes:

HOLA4417
It certainly does.

And clearly admits that the main reason for HPI is an increasing number of households, combined with a failure to build the right types of house, in places where people want to live, and where there is the employment to support them.

Given that there is no way in hell building can catch up with demand, and as the report admits, the seeds of the next boom have already been sown.

Good to see you talking about EMPLOYMENT - so it does matter after all?

You *****

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
So you'd rather pay 15% interest on a 100K property, than pay 5% interest on a 200K property?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, what I am saying is that if the government put interest rates up before the housing market got "out of control" with liar loans etc due to New Labour's "light touch regulation" we wouldn't be in as big a mess as we are in now.

Banks did NOT lend sensibly from 1997 onwards. Are you denying that?

2007 house prices (avg. circa £200,000) were supported by the credit available at that point in time, now that credit is gone and poof, prices have come down circa £155,000 and WILL continue to fall for 12+ months with the odd blip here and there.

Edited by Eiji

HOLA4420
Good to see you talking about EMPLOYMENT - so it does matter after all?

You *****

Of course it does, fool, but if you think for one second that an increase in unemployment from 97% of those looking for work to 93% of those looking for work has the remotest chance of holding back HPI, then you are even stupider than you first came across.

Which is an achievement.

HOLA4421
Of course it does, fool, but if you think for one second that an increase in unemployment from 97% of those looking for work to 93% of those looking for work has the remotest chance of holding back HPI, then you are even stupider than you first came across.

Which is an achievement.

97% to 93% is an "increase"

Well, then

I am pleased to be a "fool" - thank you for the complement

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
You know exactly what I meant.

7% unemployment is not enough to hold back HPI.

As Bloo Loo would say - "dick"

Didn't respond to my reply because it was correct. It's people like you who are the real fools and are going to get burned badly by this housing crash.

Why do you come on here anyway if you are so content with your investment of a second home as a pension?

Oh right... :lol:

HOLA4425

huge tax increases and massive public spending cut is the way to go.