House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobrock

No Electricity For Last 7 Days, Landlord Refusing To Repair It!

Hi,

I need advice on this issue as Local Council put it "unique"

"We Tenants, there are 20 flats from studio to one bedroom with about 20 tenants some single some with families paid the rent which included utilities bill (electricity) as part of the rent, but Landlord refused to pay the electricity bill and properly maintain building electric wiring to such an extent that electricity supplier decided to cut the power due to extreme danger of fire hazard. The tenants have now been without the electricity since May 29th (7 days). The landlord has been aware of Power cut since the May the 29th but has failed to do anything.

Only option we had is to involve Local Council who issued Emergency Prohibition Order after surveying the building therefore preventing tenants from occupying the property with less than 8 hours notice to leave the property and find alternative accommodation which was provided by Local Council Housing Advice team, the accommodation suggested was BB at £45 a day which we have to pay!

Meanwhile Landlord who has thru his inability to maintain property and his lack of human decency caused all this not to mention endangered lives of his Tenants as told by Council Environmental Health Section and Power Company is free to take his time to fix the issue with building wiring without any time limit?"

To think that this can happen in London is beyond belief, I can simply find another property but I don’t want Landlord to get away with this "crime"

Any help, opinions & suggestion would be much appreciated.

D

Hi,

"We Tenants, there are 20 flats from studio to one bedroom with about 20 tenants some single some with families paid the rent which included utilities bill (electricity) as part of the rent, but Landlord refused to pay the electricity bill and properly maintain building electric wiring to such an extent that electricity supplier decided to cut the power due to extreme danger of fire hazard. The tenants have now been without the electricity since May 29th (7 days). The landlord has been aware of Power cut since the May the 29th but has failed to do anything.

Only option we had is to involve Local Council who issued Emergency Prohibition Order after surveying the building therefore preventing tenants from occupying the property with less than 8 hours notice to leave the property and find alternative accommodation which was provided by Local Council Housing Advice team, the accommodation suggested was BB at £45 a day which we have to pay!

Meanwhile Landlord who has thru his inability to maintain property and his lack of human decency caused all this not to mention endangered lives of his Tenants as told by Council Environmental Health Section and Power Company is free to take his time to fix the issue with building wiring without any time limit?"

To think that this can happen in London is beyond belief, I can simply find another property but I don’t want Landlord to get away with this "crime"

D

Can't offer any practical advice but a few bricks through his windows might make you feel better.

If it really is that dangerous, you don't want to be in there.

Here's how I'd play it.

Step 1 - cancel your standing order or DD for rent payments. Don't give him another penny.

Step 2 - notify the LL (and LA, if there is one) in writing that the LL is in breach of the relevant bits of the AST in which the LL undertakes to keep the property in a habitable condition, etc. As the council have declared the property to be uninhabitable, declare the contract terminated as of the day the power was cut and demand a rent refund for the days since, if you paid the month in advance, plus the immediate return of your deposit.

Step 3 - find somewhere else to live, with a different LA.

Step 4 - once in your new home, bill your former LL for all the costs associated with moving, e.g. the B & B costs, removals, LA fees for the new home, etc. etc. Give him 28 days to cough up and take him to the Small Claims Court if he doesn't (I'd have thought that the amount should come in at under £5k).

Step 5, if you're feeling vindictive enough - print leaflets 'outing' the slum LL and put them through every letter box within a two-mile radius of the condemned property.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Hi,

D

It really is beyond belief - how anything like that could happen in this day and age is really shocking! It smacks of Van Hoogstraatenism of the worst possible kind! :angry:

The Council should sort you out with accommodation and then bill the landlord for it - why should it be up to you to chase the b4stard!? Sounds like your local authority is trying to pass the buck! Try speaking to your local newspapers - this is a `human interest` story with a chunky lead on the legal side too. If you can name and shame the bugger that way, it might get the ball rolling ;)

Take care and good luck - I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Edited by skullingtonjoe

One more suggestion apart from what the others have said: give your elected representatives something worthwhile to do. Especially your MP: that might just possibly feed in to the debate on legislation to create a register of landlords: real-life examples of what's seriously wrong will help them with insights into what needs fixing.

dont forget to send Gordon Brown a letter, so he can read your case out as another of his policy triumphs.

Hi,

D

I bet the 'entrepreneur' LL is drowning in negative equity, that's why he can't afford the maintenance costs. Jeez this really angers me.

I really have no idea where you stand legally but the raw ethics suggest that the LL should be locked up! I wouldn't say I was vendictive, but this would drive me to investigate the possiblity of living rent free for a period and let him chase you for a change, obviously once (if!?) this issue has been resolved. I'm sure sdome HPCers here will advise accordingly ;)

It would be interesting to know how other countries handle situations like these. I'm sure this is a not a one-off, and I can see these situations becomming increasingly common as house prices continue to slide. Obviously once this small bull trap has passed ;)

Anyway, I can't really offer anything constructive in addtion to what has already been covered, just a post to wish you luck and free bump for ya.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Just quick update and few more questions

Still no work undertaken by Landlord to repair the electric wiring, I’m really surprised that council didn’t enforce the limit on how long he can take to sort this out, I guess he’s only â€punishment†is that he needs to bring property to working order before we can move back in but, during that time we will have to pay rent for alternative accommodation the one which Local Council suggested was completely absurd £45 a day for BB!!!

When Power company disconnected electrical supply they have also made Fire alarm & emergency lighting useless as they are all connected to same power source. In my opinion power company should have made sure by sending electrical engineer to see what kind of impact this will have on 21 Flats and 20 tenants before disconnecting power.

The building is fine no structural damage, it’s “relatively†new apart from “bad†electrical wiring, I did speak to electrical company responsible for cutting power and what they told me is that Internal wiring and submain where in such bad state that they were classified as fire hazard and Power Company will refuse to provide power until I Cert electrician has carried necessary work and provided them with certificate.

Can local council force Landlord to speed up process of repair? I mean most of the tenants personal possessions are in empty building! And that alternative accommodation will be very expensive for some if Landlord keeps delaying the repair.

Also what happens if the Landlord is bankrupt and his building gets repossessed, who will be responsible for getting the electrical work done then?

Edited by bobrock

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Just quick update and few more questions

Still no work undertaken by Landlord to repair the electric wiring, I’m really surprised that council didn’t enforce the limit on how long he can take to sort this out, I guess he’s only â€punishment†is that he needs to bring property to working order before we can move back in but, during that time we will have to pay rent for alternative accommodation the one which Local Council suggested was completely absurd £45 a day for BB!!!

There's nothing absurd about £45/day B&B. You charge your landlord (optionally get a solicitor to write, so he takes it seriously). Landlord then claims on insurance. Since the building has been declared unfit to live in, you have a simple and watertight case, and insurance is indeed invoked (I think, but ask the solicitor).

The beauty of this is that the insurance company then gets very ratty about delays to getting the work done. If both your landlord and council are being useless, this could be a much more effective way to get things done.