House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest vicmac64

We Will Remember Them

Guest vicmac64

No matter what you think of wars (I abhor them) I would like to say that it is a poignant time to remember our proud soldiers who gave their all that we might have our todays in this United Kingdom.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning 'We will Remember them'

Thankyou for your sacrifices for my today.

Guest vicmac64

I resign immediately from this forum - any of you with any self respect should do the same. Please immediatley remove my name from the forum. I wnat nothing to do with House Price Crash now or in the future. I have more important things to do in life than post in a forum that has no respect for our War Dead.

No matter what you think of wars (I abhor them) I would like to say that it is a poignant time to remember our proud soldiers who gave their all that we might have our todays in this United Kingdom.

Guest vicmac64

It is surely time to go.

HPC have delisted my post to 'remember our war dead' on this the anniversary of D Day.

I no longer wish to be a member of this forum - please delist me immediately and rescind my membership.

I advise others to do the same.

Reaction + Over.

Please re-arrange the above words.

:lol:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

They did the same with my Mother's Day thread.

I don't doubt in any way the sincerity of your post.

However, we do have a Remembrance Day in November to pay our respects.

June 6th only pertains to WW2 and is not a significant day in other other major conflicts.

Let's remember the dead in November on the designated day otherwise we'll end up as a country of over emotional

woosies.

They did the same with my Mother's Day thread.

The heartless bastards. Right, that's it. I'm off!

We've had 65 years to remember the sacrifices and most of us at some time or other have. It's history now, the men who fought are mostly dead and the few remaining alive have had a bloody good innings which they should be grateful for as well as us being grateful to them. I am grateful but I'm not going to remember the dead everytime some bloody battle's anniversary comes around.

If Richard Dawkins is right then the dead know no difference since they no longer exist. If the Pope is right then presumeably they are in another place and couldn't give a crap either way. If the Dali Lama is right then go a get a bone for your dog and a nice piece of haddock for the cat. They'll appreciate that more than your sentiment.

There a war memorials in every town in this country. The soldiers of the two world wars have been far better remembered and respected than the vast majority of human beings who have been slaughtered for a righteous cause.

Vicmac, go and have a cup of tea, calm down mate. Untwist your knickers.

There are still a lot of good people in this forum, surely they count for something?

Does it really matter if the thread was moved to the off topic forum? The point surely is to remember lives lost, and not which particular forum the thread is in.

I agree with your original post. Spare some moments to contemplate the ultimate sacrifice of others, for our benefits. Let us not forget.

Even when some politicians and people holding power, play their games misguided or corrupt, the pawns they play with are humans, like you and I. God bless the good lost souls, and their loved ones, my tears whilst typing this are for them, and those who stand beside them.

We've had 65 years to remember the sacrifices and most of us at some time or other have. It's history now, the men who fought are mostly dead and the few remaining alive have had a bloody good innings which they should be grateful for as well as us being grateful to them. I am grateful but I'm not going to remember the dead everytime some bloody battle's anniversary comes around.

If Richard Dawkins is right then the dead know no difference since they no longer exist. If the Pope is right then presumeably they are in another place and couldn't give a crap either way. If the Dali Lama is right then go a get a bone for your dog and a nice piece of haddock for the cat. They'll appreciate that more than your sentiment.

There a war memorials in every town in this country. The soldiers of the two world wars have been far better remembered and respected than the vast majority of human beings who have been slaughtered for a righteous cause.

That' a tad disrespectful

Guest X-QUORK

People died so that you could write the above free from persecution, the least you could do is show a modicum of respect.

I head up an RBL branch collecting annually for the poppy appeal and have done for many years. I also have 22 years of military service under my belt.

11th November and the second Sunday in November are the traditional times to remember our war dead and long may it always continue. Recently the RBL won concessions with the secondary school curriculum where mention of the war, its sacrifice and the reasons why it must never happen again were being modernised and watered down.

The spirit of remembrance must be passed down to our children but more important than that is to make them understand the level of suffering that was endured.

Of course today is important it marks the 65th anniversary of D Day, but today is for those that fought in the campaign to remember fallen brothers, Charlie boy and Brown are there and they have laid wreaths on behalf of us all.

November is the traditional time to remember and nothing must detract from that.....

Edit to Add.

Soon enough it will pass from memory but we must try and keep it in focus as long as we can.

After all how many memorials are there around the Country for the men killed at Waterloo or in campaigns prior?

GregC needs to pause for moment and think about what he/she has written!!

I head up an RBL branch collecting annually for the poppy appeal and have done for many years. I also have 22 years of military service under my belt.

11th November and the second Sunday in November are the traditional times to remember our war dead and long may it always continue. Recently the RBL won concessions with the secondary school curriculum where mention of the war, its sacrifice and the reasons why it must never happen again were being modernised and watered down.

The spirit of remembrance must be passed down to our children but more important than that is to make them understand the level of suffering that was endured.

Of course today is important it marks the 65th anniversary of D Day, but today is for those that fought in the campaign to remember fallen brothers, Charlie boy and Brown are there and they have laid wreaths on behalf of us all.

November is the traditional time to remember and nothing must detract from that.....

Down under here, and obviously WW1, ANZAC day is huge and is a day of reflection for young and old. I take my kids to the dawn parade and they are very keen to pay their respects to my grandfather who was at Gallipoli. the kids are respectful and are taught humility. It is a very important part of life in Oz and NZ. I hope the same kind of sentiment is being taught to children back home.

Down under here, and obviously WW1, ANZAC day is huge and is a day of reflection for young and old. I take my kids to the dawn parade and they are very keen to pay their respects to my grandfather who was at Gallipoli. the kids are respectful and are taught humility. It is a very important part of life in Oz and NZ. I hope the same kind of sentiment is being taught to children back home.

Indeed a huge sacrifice was made by Aus and NZ soldiers at Gallipoli in WW1 and we must never forget that when the empire (as it was at that time) called the colonies were quick to respond.

Strangely enough it was the loss suffered at Gallipoli that pushed the nationalist agenda in both Countries. I wonder how things would have turned out for Aus and NZ if Gallipoli had never occurred.

If one song or tune typifies remembering the sacrifice for me then it has to be this one... To the Tune of Waltzing Matilda and by The Pogues..

When I was a young man I carried my pack

And I lived the free life of a rover

From the Murrays green basin to the dusty outback

I waltzed my Matilda all over

Then in nineteen fifteen my country said Son

It's time to stop rambling 'cause there's work to be

done

So they gave me a tin hat and they gave me a gun

And they sent me away to the war

And the band played Waltzing Matilda

As we sailed away from the quay

And amidst all the tears and the shouts and the

cheers

We sailed off to Gallipoli

How well I remember that terrible day

<When> the blood stained the sand and the water

And how in that hell that they called Suvla Bay

We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter

Johnny Turk he was ready, he primed himself well

He <showered> us with bullets, he rained us with

shells

And in five minutes flat he'd blown us all to hell

Nearly blew us right back to Australia

But the band played Waltzing Matilda

As we stopped to bury our slain

And we buried ours and the Turks buried theirs

Then <it> started all over again

Now those <who were living did their best to survive>

In <that> mad world of blood, death and fire

And for <seven long> weeks I kept myself alive

<While the corpses around me piled higher>

Then a big Turkish shell knocked me **** over tit

And when I woke up in my hospital bed

And saw what it had done, <Christ> I wished I was

dead

Never knew there were worse things than dying

<And> no more I'll go waltzing Matilda

<To> the green <bushes so> far and near

For to hump tent and pegs, a man needs two legs

No more waltzing Matilda for me

So they collected the cripples, the wounded <and>

maimed

And they shipped us back home to Australia

<The legless, the armless>, the blind <and> insane

Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla

And as our ship pulled into Circular Quay

I looked at the place where <me> legs used to be

And thank Christ there was nobody waiting for me

To grieve and to mourn and to pity

As they carried us down the gangway

But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared

<And they> turned all their faces away

And now every April I sit on my porch

And I watch the parade pass before me

<I see> my old comrades, how proudly they march

Reliving <the or their> dreams of past glory

<I see the old men, all twisted and torn>

The forgotten heroes <of> a forgotten war

And the young people ask <me>, "What are they

marching for?"

And I ask myself the same question

And the band plays Waltzing Matilda

And the old men <still> answer to the call

But year after year their numbers get fewer

Some day no one will march there at all

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda

Who'll <go> a-waltzing Matilda with me?

Indeed a huge sacrifice was made by Aus and NZ soldiers at Gallipoli in WW1 and we must never forget that when the empire (as it was at that time) called the colonies were quick to respond.

Strangely enough it was the loss suffered at Gallipoli that pushed the nationalist agenda in both Countries. I wonder how things would have turned out for Aus and NZ if Gallipoli had never occurred.

If one song or tune typifies remembering the sacrifice for me then it has to be this one... To the Tune of Waltzing Matilda and by The Pogues..

When I was a young man I carried my pack

And I lived the free life of a rover

From the Murrays green basin to the dusty outback

I waltzed my Matilda all over

Then in nineteen fifteen my country said Son

It's time to stop rambling 'cause there's work to be

done

So they gave me a tin hat and they gave me a gun

And they sent me away to the war

As we sailed away from the quay

And amidst all the tears and the shouts and the

cheers

We sailed off to Gallipoli

How well I remember that terrible day

<When> the blood stained the sand and the water

And how in that hell that they called Suvla Bay

We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter

Johnny Turk he was ready, he primed himself well

He <showered> us with bullets, he rained us with

shells

And in five minutes flat he'd blown us all to hell

Nearly blew us right back to Australia

But the band played Waltzing Matilda

As we stopped to bury our slain

And we buried ours and the Turks buried theirs

Then <it> started all over again

Now those <who were living did their best to survive>

In <that> mad world of blood, death and fire

And for <seven long> weeks I kept myself alive

<While the corpses around me piled higher>

Then a big Turkish shell knocked me **** over tit

And when I woke up in my hospital bed

And saw what it had done, <Christ> I wished I was

dead

Never knew there were worse things than dying

<And> no more I'll go waltzing Matilda

<To> the green <bushes so> far and near

For to hump tent and pegs, a man needs two legs

No more waltzing Matilda for me

So they collected the cripples, the wounded <and>

maimed

And they shipped us back home to Australia

<The legless, the armless>, the blind <and> insane

Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla

And as our ship pulled into Circular Quay

I looked at the place where <me> legs used to be

And thank Christ there was nobody waiting for me

To grieve and to mourn and to pity

As they carried us down the gangway

But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared

<And they> turned all their faces away

And now every April I sit on my porch

And I watch the parade pass before me

<I see> my old comrades, how proudly they march

Reliving <the or their> dreams of past glory

<I see the old men, all twisted and torn>

The forgotten heroes <of> a forgotten war

And the young people ask <me>, "What are they

marching for?"

And I ask myself the same question

And the band plays Waltzing Matilda

And the old men <still> answer to the call

But year after year their numbers get fewer

Some day no one will march there at all

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda

Who'll <go> a-waltzing Matilda with me?

Poignant , especially if it has a certain meaning to you

It is surely time to go.

HPC have delisted my post to 'remember our war dead' on this the anniversary of D Day.

I no longer wish to be a member of this forum - please delist me immediately and rescind my membership.

I advise others to do the same.

Maybe if you picked the right forum in the first place and didn't put a thread on the bloody D-Day invasions in "House Prices & The Economy" you might not get moved about.

I'm watching the commemorations on Sky news now and I'm pleased they booed Gordon Brown.

Guest anorthosite
I'm watching the commemorations on Sky news now and I'm pleased they booed Gordon Brown.

Who booed him? Please tell me it was the veterans! Not that I need any more reason to respect them, but I'd love to know they've still got the fight in them :)

Anyone got a link?

Who booed him? Please tell me it was the veterans! Not that I need any more reason to respect them, but I'd love to know they've still got the fight in them :)

Anyone got a link?

:blink: There was a low murmur of disapproval and booing when he stood up just now to address the veterans. It wasn't them as far as I could tell, it came from the crowd.

He has behaved very weirdly all day even by his standards. Keeps straining his neck looking up and around, was nodding like a donkey when stood with Obama, Harper, Sarkozy, Charles earlier and can't keep still. Like a child with ADHD who hasn't taken his medication. There are 85 year olds who have been stood up for hours with more self-control.

:blink: There was a low murmur of disapproval and booing when he stood up just now to address the veterans. It wasn't them as far as I could tell, it came from the crowd.

He has behaved very weirdly all day even by his standards. Keeps straining his neck looking up and around, was nodding like a donkey when stood with Obama, Harper, Sarkozy, Charles earlier and can't keep still. Like a child with ADHD who hasn't taken his medication. There are 85 year olds who have been stood up for hours with more self-control.

I agree you couldn't tell who was doing the booing unfortunately. I hope to God it was the veterans. They know a wrong un when they see one.

Brown is a disgrace. The only thing he'll fight for is a career that should have ended years ago.

Guest redwine

i watched it and and i didnt see any veterans booing the youngest vetren there was 85 years old

i dont think that booing brown today in a war cementry in was neither the time or the place

i have visited these cemeteries and the last thing i wanted to do was go booing

the 6 june 1944 has nothing to do with british politics in 2009

shame on those who booed even if you do not agree with brown

i watched it and and i didnt see any veterans booing the youngest vetren there was 85 years old

i dont think that booing brown today in a war cementry in was neither the time or the place

i have visited these cemeteries and the last thing i wanted to do was go booing

the 6 june 1944 has nothing to do with british politics in 2009

shame on those who booed even if you do not agree with brown

This is of course the Brown who has profited personally from writing books about the heroic actions of VC winners who I am proud to say can number Ghurka's amongst their number yet denied them the right to settle in the UK until such time as Joanna Lumley stepped up.

It's fair to point out that at least one of the Ghurka's denied residency was a VC winner. That man has more right to live in this Country than any of us born and bred here and millions time more rights than the Romanian's that beg steal and rob from us at every opportunity and yet are allowed to stay unhindered.

If the Vets did Boo him and news reports I have read suggest they did then they had good reason to do so.

Our politicians ask our sons and daughters go to war in Afghan and recently Iraq. How many of them actually send their own sons and daughters? Blair publicly spoke about dissuading his sons from joining the armed services.

I have also visited war cemeteries from Normandy to the Somme and the Salient. Until a persons walks the rows of Tyne Cot (the largest of them all) they have no idea as to the level of suffering in war.

It may have casued a hue and cry at the time about ANZACs being ordered to their death by incompetent English Generals but unfortuanately the root cause of the problem has not been addressed. The commander in Chief of the Armed Forces is the Governer General who reports directly to the Queen of England.

It may have casued a hue and cry at the time about ANZACs being ordered to their death by incompetent English Generals....

What you mean that well known Englishman in command at Gallipoli: Sir Ian Standish Monteith Hamilton, Commander of the 1st Gordon Highlanders and the School of Musketry at Hythe, Colonel of the 9th Royal Scots, and the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders?