House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cybernoid

Giving Notice During Periodic Tenancy

Hi, just a quickie.. Ive always believed, for some reason, that once you have entered the periodic rolling month period of a tenancy that when you give your 1 months notice the end date of this months notice must be the same day in the month as that on which the tenancy started.

For example, say I start a 6 months AST on the 10th of the month. 6 Months later the AST is up, nothing further is done and so the tenancy goes into periodic rolling month mode. I then decide I want to leave. I know I need to give at least one months notice, BUT does this 1 month have to end on the 10th of a future month?

So in my example, if I decide that I want to leave on the 15th of January, the soonest end date I can have is the 10th of March.

I don't know where I got this idea from but I believe it to be the case, can anyone confirm?

not unless thats actually stated in the lease

You have probably paid a whole months rent in advance, if you think there will be 'issues' in getting them to properly refund the extra weeks of rent then it may still be in your interest to just quit on exactly on the same date.

Hi, just a quickie.. Ive always believed, for some reason, that once you have entered the periodic rolling month period of a tenancy that when you give your 1 months notice the end date of this months notice must be the same day in the month as that on which the tenancy started.

For example, say I start a 6 months AST on the 10th of the month. 6 Months later the AST is up, nothing further is done and so the tenancy goes into periodic rolling month mode. I then decide I want to leave. I know I need to give at least one months notice, BUT does this 1 month have to end on the 10th of a future month?

So in my example, if I decide that I want to leave on the 15th of January, the soonest end date I can have is the 10th of March.

I don't know where I got this idea from but I believe it to be the case, can anyone confirm?

You are 100% correct, one month notice must be given before the start of the next rental period, this is almost always the day the tenancy started unless the contract states that is it is something different (I have signed an agreement like this)

If the contract were to state somthing different then you must provide notice before that day in the month, also note that the payment date in not the tenancy start date