House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sunonmars

MPs' expenses - Gordon Brown billed taxpayer for 2 homes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...cond-homes.html

Gordon Brown claimed parliamentary expenses for his constituency home in Scotland while he was billing the taxpayer for a flat in London, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Mr Brown, who "flipped" the designation of his second home before moving into Downing Street, submitted an estimated electricity bill for his home in Fife which partly covered a period when his London flat was his designated second home.

He also claimed for council tax and service charge bills for his London flat which included periods when his second home was in Scotland.

Mr Brown – who claimed more than £28,000 in second home allowances after moving into a grace and favour apartment in Downing Street in 2006 – has agreed to repay some money after he referred the matter to the parliamentary fees office. He has admitted making three separate mistakes on his expenses.

It is a humiliating blow for the Prime Minister, who publicly rebuked Alistair Darling, the Chancellor, this week for doing a similar thing.

Mr Darling appeared on live television to "unreservedly apologise" for claiming a £1,004 service charge bill for his London flat which covered several months when his designated second home was in Downing Street.

He repaid £668.

The news that Mr Brown overclaimed on his expenses will further weaken his position, and will strengthen the hand of ministers whose own questionable expense claims might have been used as a reason to remove them.

A detailed analysis of Mr Brown's expense claims also reveals that the Prime Minister claimed £30 on his office expenses for the cost of hiring a bagpiper to play at a ceremony for veterans. (cheap ba£tard)

Mr Brown had only switched his designated second home from London to Scotland on September 18, meaning the first 77 days of the bill related to a period when his London flat was his designated second home.

If the bill is divided into equal amounts for each day, Mr Brown had claimed for £334.59 of electricity when Fife was not his designated second home.

Mr Brown said the bill was an estimate and that most of the electricity was used in the winter months, but agreed to repay £95 "for the avoidance of doubt".

The second electricity bill submitted with the same January, 2007, claim was for £12.25. The same bill was submitted with another claim in April, 2007, and Mr Brown was paid twice for it.

At the beginning of the 2006-07 financial year, Mr Brown claimed £1,098.33 in advance for a whole year's council tax on his London flat. When he "flipped" his designated second home to Fife, he repaid £487 to cover the six and a half months when Fife was his second home.

Mr Brown calculated this repayment by adding up the payments for April to mid-September and returning the balance.

However, council tax is charged in 10 monthly instalments, meaning Mr Brown did not take into account the fact that no payments were due in February or March.

As a result he repaid only 44 per cent of the bill, even though he was living in Scotland for more than half the year.

Mr Brown's council tax bill works out at £3 per day, and Scotland was his designated second home for 194 days, meaning he should have repaid £582, rather than £487, a difference of £95.

Mr Brown denies any wrongdoing in relation to his council tax bill, a position that was reinforced by the fees office.

On July 9 2006, Mr Brown submitted a claim which included an invoice for £581, covering service charge, insurance and ground rent on his London flat from June 24 to September 29.

Because Mr Brown switched his designated second home to Scotland on September 18, the costs of the London flat were covered for 12 days when it was not his designated second home - an overpayment of £71.

Mr Brown said that he had already repaid £86.88 last month "for the avoidance of doubt".

Mr Brown, whose expenses were first examined by The Daily Telegraph almost a month ago, has already repaid a £153 plumber's bill for which he claimed twice.

The Prime Minister also paid his brother, Andrew Brown, £6,577 over 26 months from his second home allowance to cover his share of the costs of a cleaner they shared.

The Daily Telegraph does not allege that the Prime Minister's brother received any improper benefit from the claim for cleaning services.

Mr Brown flipped the designation of his second home from London to Scotland 10 days after Tony Blair ann-ounced he would be stepping down.

It meant he was able to carry on claiming a second home allowance after he moved into Downing Street.

A spokesman for Mr Brown said: "Mr Brown is following all the rules and procedures of the fees office and has already apologised for any inadvertent mistakes.

If, of course, the full investigation that Mr Brown has ordered (that will apply to every MP) suggests that there is any adjustment which needs to be made, he will make it."

The spokesman added that Mr Brown would have been "equally happy" to pay the piper out of his own pocket.

Edited by sunonmars

Gordon Brown claimed parliamentary expenses for his constituency home in Scotland while he was billing the taxpayer for a flat in London, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Mr Brown, who "flipped" the designation of his second home before moving into Downing Street, submitted an estimated electricity bill for his home in Fife which partly covered a period when his London flat was his designated second home.

He also claimed for council tax and service charge bills for his London flat which included periods when his second home was in Scotland.

Mr Brown �€“ who claimed more than £28,000 in second home allowances after moving into a grace and favour apartment in Downing Street in 2006 �€“ has agreed to repay some money after he referred the matter to the parliamentary fees office. He has admitted making three separate mistakes on his expenses.

It is a humiliating blow for the Prime Minister, who publicly rebuked Alistair Darling, the Chancellor, this week for doing a similar thing.

Mr Darling appeared on live television to "unreservedly apologise" for claiming a £1,004 service charge bill for his London flat which covered several months when his designated second home was in Downing Street.

He repaid £668.

The news that Mr Brown overclaimed on his expenses will further weaken his position, and will strengthen the hand of ministers whose own questionable expense claims might have been used as a reason to remove them.

A detailed analysis of Mr Brown's expense claims also reveals that the Prime Minister claimed £30 on his office expenses for the cost of hiring a bagpiper to play at a ceremony for veterans. (cheap ba�tard)

Mr Brown had only switched his designated second home from London to Scotland on September 18, meaning the first 77 days of the bill related to a period when his London flat was his designated second home.

If the bill is divided into equal amounts for each day, Mr Brown had claimed for £334.59 of electricity when Fife was not his designated second home.

Mr Brown said the bill was an estimate and that most of the electricity was used in the winter months, but agreed to repay £95 "for the avoidance of doubt".

The second electricity bill submitted with the same January, 2007, claim was for £12.25. The same bill was submitted with another claim in April, 2007, and Mr Brown was paid twice for it.

At the beginning of the 2006-07 financial year, Mr Brown claimed £1,098.33 in advance for a whole year's council tax on his London flat. When he "flipped" his designated second home to Fife, he repaid £487 to cover the six and a half months when Fife was his second home.

Mr Brown calculated this repayment by adding up the payments for April to mid-September and returning the balance.

However, council tax is charged in 10 monthly instalments, meaning Mr Brown did not take into account the fact that no payments were due in February or March.

As a result he repaid only 44 per cent of the bill, even though he was living in Scotland for more than half the year.

Mr Brown's council tax bill works out at £3 per day, and Scotland was his designated second home for 194 days, meaning he should have repaid £582, rather than £487, a difference of £95.

Mr Brown denies any wrongdoing in relation to his council tax bill, a position that was reinforced by the fees office.

On July 9 2006, Mr Brown submitted a claim which included an invoice for £581, covering service charge, insurance and ground rent on his London flat from June 24 to September 29.

Because Mr Brown switched his designated second home to Scotland on September 18, the costs of the London flat were covered for 12 days when it was not his designated second home - an overpayment of £71.

Mr Brown said that he had already repaid £86.88 last month "for the avoidance of doubt".

Mr Brown, whose expenses were first examined by The Daily Telegraph almost a month ago, has already repaid a £153 plumber's bill for which he claimed twice.

The Prime Minister also paid his brother, Andrew Brown, £6,577 over 26 months from his second home allowance to cover his share of the costs of a cleaner they shared.

The Daily Telegraph does not allege that the Prime Minister's brother received any improper benefit from the claim for cleaning services.

Mr Brown flipped the designation of his second home from London to Scotland 10 days after Tony Blair ann-ounced he would be stepping down.

It meant he was able to carry on claiming a second home allowance after he moved into Downing Street.

A spokesman for Mr Brown said: "Mr Brown is following all the rules and procedures of the fees office and has already apologised for any inadvertent mistakes.

If, of course, the full investigation that Mr Brown has ordered (that will apply to every MP) suggests that there is any adjustment which needs to be made, he will make it."

The spokesman added that Mr Brown would have been "equally happy" to pay the piper out of his own pocket.

AWESOME

There was a rumour about this, Telegraph finishing with Gordon Brown.

"It is unacceptable behaviour and she has accepted it as unacceptable behaviour." Gordon Brown on Hazel Blears

June 3 2009

Blears resigns as Communities Secretary, saying she wants to "help the Labour Party to reconnect with the British people". The Telegraph discloses that she allegedly avoided capital gains tax on the sale of another property.

Gordon Brown has been an awful prime minister and was a mediocre chancellor before that, but this flipping story is just stupid. Why would he not change his designated second home on becoming prime minister?

Criticize him on his politics and economic record, not on this sensationalist trivia.

Gordon Brown has been an awful prime minister and was a mediocre chancellor before that, but this flipping story is just stupid. Why would he not change his designated second home on becoming prime minister?

Criticize him on his politics and economic record, not on this sensationalist trivia.

I'll criticize him how i like, the sob deserves it.

This is the good bit:

<snip>

It meant he was able to carry on claiming a second home allowance after he moved into Downing Street

<snip>

The Daily Telegraph is making it clear that it does; by implication, allege that the Prime Minister received improper benefit from the flipping of his second home designation. One might say it is finally calling him out as a crook and a thief.

Hopefully he can be driven out before he succeeds in staffing the Government entirely in unelected cronies and suspending elections.

I'll criticize him how i like, the sob deserves it.

Whether he deserves it is irrelevant. The danger is that unjustified criticism blunts the force of justified criticism. The man has been a disaster as prime minister, but I cannot see any reason why he should have given up his second home allowance when he took office.

The man has a political position?

Any idea what it is?

Edit to add - I'm being silly, you perhaps have a point

Edited by Stars

The move from Chancellor to PM meant that his London address* changed from number 11 Downing Street to number 10.

I don't see that makes any difference to where his actual family home is.

If it is shown that his wife and progeny changed their de facto abode at that time from Fife to Westminster, then fine - I'll retract.

*GB and TB got a bit muddled about which of them lived in who's house.

Whether he deserves it is irrelevant. The danger is that unjustified criticism blunts the force of justified criticism. The man has been a disaster as prime minister, but I cannot see any reason why he should have given up his second home allowance when he took office.

I'm sorry, I'm being a bit thick.

Why would stopping being the Chancellor, and becoming the PM mean he lost his second home allowance?

Any idea what it is?

Edit to add - I'm being silly, you perhaps have a point

Tp be honest the whole political system is corrupt and you should NOT expect anything different from Cameron and his goons or whoever or whatever party takes over next.

Sick of the lot of them.

Any idea what it is?

No idea whatsoever. In my opinion, the man is a self-serving, talentless and amoral piece of shit (qualities which he shares with many politicians). There are far more serious deficiencies to be addressed than these daft accusations of electric bill fiddling which are only likely to evoke sympathy from many people that have recently moved house and have had hassle with utilities providers.

Surely the only thing he could morally claim would be travel back to Jockland for the few visits he made there ? He was getting a free place to stay in London when he became chancellor. I can't see why he needed to be subsidised to have a free house in Jockland as well ! I wonder how many mobile phones he might have had to claim for in the last week ? :lol:

Tp be honest the whole political system is corrupt and you should NOT expect anything different from Cameron and his goons or whoever or whatever party takes over next.

Sick of the lot of them.

Yes, I have lived under many Labour and Tory Governments and I am also sick of the them all. Brown yesterday talked about honest politics. It has never been honest and currently the media have more deeply exposed our Politicians. Forty and more years ago the media rarely asked searching questions of the Government. If Brown intends to be honest then he should tell us the whole truth about the state of our finances, give us the honest inflation figures, honest unemployment data, honest money,honest everything. Cut the wholesale GERRYMANDERING and set an example to us all. A good start would be to tell us the truth about whether he intended to move over Darling?

Yes, I have lived under many Labour and Tory Governments and I am also sick of the them all. Brown yesterday talked about honest politics. It has never been honest and currently the media have more deeply exposed our Politicians. Forty and more years ago the media rarely asked searching questions of the Government. If Brown intends to be honest then he should tell us the whole truth about the state of our finances, give us the honest inflation figures, honest unemployment data, honest money,honest everything. Cut the wholesale GERRYMANDERING and set an example to us all. A good start would be to tell us the truth about whether he intended to move over Darling?

:lol::lol: not gonna start singing are you?

Our lips shouldn't touch - move over darling,

I like too much - move over darling.

You are showing your age.

You are Mandy, I claim my muff diver :lol::lol::lol:

You are Mandy, I claim my muff diver :lol::lol::lol:

I don't think Doris Day would approve of misrepresenting her song but laughter is supposed to be the best medicine in these depressing times.

Mediocre Chancellor?

He devasted and sold the UK into the hands of the City Financial thieves - by overriding B.O.E. control.

There IS a conspiracy going on - no doubt about it.

Destroy the Middle Classes - you can see it going on day by day - year by year since 2000 IT bubble/crash.

'They' have herded people with any spare investment dosh from one collapsing bubble to another and creamed off the commission all the way!

Templars = Bankers + Fleet Street!

In total, Mr Brown appeared to make claims totalling £512 for the "wrong" properties.

Mr Brown – who claimed more than £28,000 in second home allowances after moving into a grace and favour apartment in Downing Street in 2006 – has agreed to repay some money after he referred the matter to the parliamentary fees office. He has admitted making three separate mistakes on his expenses.

Torygraph kept this one back a while...

Which of course strips him of all credibility when he claims that he's going to clean up politics.

The annoying thing is that Cameron also has questions to answer, hence the reason the Tories can't go for Brown's jugular on this. It'll be interesting to see if the Lib Dems do, though.