House Price Crash Forum
Guest BoomBoomCrash

Election Coverage Blackout...

Guest BoomBoomCrash

Anyone would think the BBC were a tad anxious about the demise of nu labour.

Anyone know if there is coverage during the night, or is it one of those where they don't even start the count until the morning? I know about the Euro ones, but am talking about the council ones.

I thought everyone was aware that media outlets are not allowed to discuss politics/election issues on the day of an election.

That is why there has been very little publicity (apart from a statement of fact - i.e. that the election is taking place).

Guest sillybear2

It's normal, they try to make things politically quiet on polling day, aside from covering basic events "here are people voting, we're all wondering what the results will bring", I think it's even in the electoral/broadcast laws.

I thought everyone was aware that media outlets are not allowed to discuss politics/election issues on the day of an election.

That is why there has been very little publicity (apart from a statement of fact - i.e. that the election is taking place).

Same here, until 10pm tonight then 10pm Sunday for results.

Since BBC and ITV merged on exit polls they have become very accurate though.

Guest LongBlackKilt
Anyone know if there is coverage during the night, or is it one of those where they don't even start the count until the morning? I know about the Euro ones, but am talking about the council ones.

Isn't it just Bristol and Bedfordshire that declare tonight?

Although if The XYY Man is announced as Mayor of Hartlepool it won't be a moment too soon.

The tradition on election days is for there to be no TV or radio coverage (apart from to state that the election is taking place) until the polls close. It'll certainly be the lead story at 10.

I always find general election days bizarre, news wise, because of the unofficial-but-official blackout on domestic political stories. Charlotte Green often tries to make a joke of it on R4, the last item in a bulletin (after the result of Chipping Sodbury Rovers vs. Grimthorpe United) being '...and finally, a general election has been taking place today [subtext: just in case you didn't know]. BBC News.' In the meantime they're thrashing around trying to find stories, and every broadcast has a kind of surreal tone.

Today's been a bit different, because Gordo's little local difficulty can technically be treated as a story in itself, separate from the election. I notice that the BBC took a compromise approach today, making Obama's speech its lead story but covering the speculation around a putsch against Brown later, and relatively briefly, but not trying to pretend that it didn't exist.

Isn't it just Bristol and Bedfordshire that declare tonight?

I have a feeling you're right. The bulk of the councils come through tomorrow, with the Euro results on Sunday night from 9pm (I think...).

It`s always been that way - don`t think their allowed to broadcast anything till Polls have closed .

Half an hour to go then. I may check the news at 11pm just to see if the exit poles indicate there's been the much anticipated NuLab meltdown that could trigger a general election.

Probably Sunday though before the Euros make the picture clearer.

sp: or should that be 'exit polls'!

Edited by newp

It's normal, they try to make things politically quiet on polling day, aside from covering basic events "here are people voting, we're all wondering what the results will bring", I think it's even in the electoral/broadcast laws.

Woah! when did that come about?? I can always recall headline news throughout the election day saying "exit polls suggest xxx is in the lead yadda yadda, now its yyy in the lead, blaa blaa", with tv reporters haunting around polling stations..But today, nothing.

Woah! when did that come about?? I can always recall headline news throughout the election day saying "exit polls suggest xxx is in the lead yadda yadda, now its yyy in the lead, blaa blaa", with tv reporters haunting around polling stations..But today, nothing.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

First Big Brother housemates enter house?

voted after work at about 7pm and asked what the turnout had been like - they said about 15% (and was better than they had expected!)....and that in a fairly affluent london suburb.

a lot of peeps aren't interested in the european elections, especially given no-one knows the candidates they're blooming voting for.

methinks it'll be a shocker for labour

misterc.

So can I, very clearly

Saw loads of police vans out today. Even one with a metal grill for the front window (Casually up on the roof like sunglasses)

Was the same last election day.

Someone turned up to vote without an election card... he'd not had one... and didn't know where his voting place was ... the people there didn't seem that bothered...

I hate to say this but I wouldn't put it past Brown to try and stitch these elections...The postal vote being a classic example....Brown knows the result from these already. Whos to say that the BNP and UKIP votes are changed behind the scenes.

I haven't noticed that the BBC have been giving Labour a soft ride recently.

Any invitation to give a Labour minister airtime is really just giving them a rope to hang themself with at the moment.

Re. fixing votes - I imagine that all parties would have an equal chance to do that.

Edited by blankster

Also I heard an anecdotal of someone I know who, when they went to collect their ballot papers, was asked 'do you want one for the European election too?

What I liked is that I could have voted for Mebion Kernow even though Cornwall is 100 miles away because the constituency is so big!

Edited by blankster

Guest BoomBoomCrash

Very strange that we've had no projections at all based on exit polling.

voted after work at about 7pm and asked what the turnout had been like - they said about 15% (and was better than they had expected!)....and that in a fairly affluent london suburb.

a lot of peeps aren't interested in the european elections, especially given no-one knows the candidates they're blooming voting for.

methinks it'll be a shocker for labour

misterc.

Bloke at the desk in my polling station seemed to think the turnout was a better than they expected (Yorks & Humber). I'd guesstimate 25% at 6pm from the lines through the names, maybe 30+% by 10pm? Sunday will tell me how close my guess is. Interesting times.